Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Robin Williams passed away.

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Default Re: Robin Williams just died

RIP
    His best movie is this one though

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I will always remember him as the Genie in Aladdin. But his best imo is Good Will Hunting.
    2010 ,2012,2014 World Series Champions: San Francisco Giants
    1962, 1989, 2002

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Odd when someone like this just dies all of a sudden, I mean I really enjoyed a lot of his work (especially that new show with Michell Geller), but it's not like I hold a particular connection with the guy.
    And yet it's hard to believe he's actually dead, Robin Williams seems like the kind of icon that lives forever :/, sigh... hope he rests in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    This means no Mrs. Doubtfire 2. I'm kind of glad.
    Oh don't you worry. Hollywood will probably make a remake instead.

OT: Robin you magnificent bugger, I loved your standup!

http://ask.fm/Bigglelito <------- Ask me somethin' dagnabbit!

I liked him best in Aladdin.

His best work may be seen in stand up; improv'd Shakespeare.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

neoptolemos's Avatar Breatannach Romanus

I am deeply moved hearing about his death. I really loved his talent, energy and work. RIP Robin
    Quem faz injúria vil e sem razão,Com forças e poder em que está posto,Não vence; que a vitória verdadeira É saber ter justiça nua e inteira-He who, solely to oppress,Employs or martial force, or power, achieves No victory; but a true victory Is gained,when justice triumphs and prevails.
    Luís de Camões

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

He was a great guy who could improvise jokes, which is the difference between comedians and "Comedians" to me.

Also a gentleman and overall nice guy. He could take the spotlight when he wanted to, but was gracefull about giving others their time to shine as well. A real team player. He was also an avid gamer and Dungeons and Dragons fan by the way.

Behind the laughter, there is often depression however.. Groucho Marx also suffered from depression. He was known for having insomnia though. Especially after Harpo's death it seems he grew more bitter. Was the only time his son saw Groucho cry.

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

A shame. I always hoped he'd have a career revival and invest more of his stand up energy and comedy into his film-work which was rather tame comparatively.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

GussieFinkNottle's Avatar Domesticus

Oh God no.

Like many here, genuinely saddened by this news. So many great actors have died in the last few years: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Griffiths, Peter O'Toole, now Robin Williams. So much talent lost, only Peter O'Toole really lived a full life.
    A home without books is a body without soul - Marcus Tullius Cicero

If you rep me, please leave your name. Thx

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

It's really a shame when great entertainers die too soon, and even more so when they did not get to be involved in great projects in their last years.

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

EDIT: A Greek channel, to honour him, will edit it's programm and give us a movie of RW, Old Dogs
    Last edited by Stavros_Kalmpou; August 12, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

People die all the time. If it's a celebrity it gets a special mention and strangers mourning?

lets focus on our lives.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Robin Williams passed away.

Veritas Temporis Filia

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

a very sad day and the passing of a brilliant actor and comedian subject to suicide! what a waste of a truly great talent

Considering the details that are coming out, he's lucky that no one thinks it's similar to David Carradine's end.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    People die all the time. If it's a celebrity it gets a special mention and strangers mourning?

lets focus on our lives.
    I dont particular care either, it still sad however.
    Cant say i was a big fan or anything. Never payed much attention to his movies, safe when i was a kid, and thats about it.
    I havent seen anything from Robin Wiliams since the late 90s or so.

Like many here, genuinely saddened by this news. So many great actors have died in the last few years: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Griffiths, Peter O'Toole, now Robin Williams. So much talent lost, only Peter O'Toole really lived a full life.
    Yeah I knew Peter O'Toole and Philip seymour Hoffman work much better. Can say Hoffman was very very young. And O'Toole was already retired in its late 80s i think.

Peter O'Toole's death is not sad in any way, it's straight up insensitive to all the younger people who die to call it a tragedy.
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; August 12, 2014 at 03:21 PM.

It's hard to find, but Robin Williams and Steve Martin made a performance of Waiting for Godot that was especially well received.

You might find it on video tape in your public library as it was done when they were young men. Steve Martin studied philosophy and Williams was certainly well versed in it.

[TD="class: bibInfoLabel, width: 20%"]Title[/TD]
    [TD="class: bibInfoData"] Waiting for Godot [videorecording] / Lincoln Center Theater, Gregory Mosher, director, Bernard Gersten, executive producer, presents a Mike Nichols production ; [written by] Samuel Beckett ; directed by Mike Nichols ; [video producer] Theatre on Film and Tape Archive, Betty L. Corwin, director.[/TD]

[TD="class: bibInfoLabel, width: 20%"]Imprint[/TD]
    [TD="class: bibInfoData"] New York, c1988.[/TD]

Last edited by RubiconDecision; August 12, 2014 at 03:03 PM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Nanoo Nanoo..

Robin Williams was an erudite incredibly kind man, who annually offered Julliard scholarships, so that those who were poor could afford to attend that prestigious academy. Jessica Chastain, an actress of enormous merit was one of the recipients. He spoke eloquently, made people from opposite sides of the political spectrum laugh and yet put in messages about political topics that were important to him.

He made so many of us laugh at his improvisation, and how many were envious of being able to discuss a wide breadth of topics in rapid fire delivery, saying something brilliant in every moment? And yet, he was horribly depressed. What a tragedy. He need not have died.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; August 12, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast