Thread: Can you upgrade to guns on Britannia campaign?

Default Can you upgrade to guns on Britannia campaign?

I'm fighting off the Scottish and Irish and i came to the conclusion that i cannot beat them without firearms, so how do i upgrade to that? can i do that? i know i can get cannons but i don't want that, i want muskets.

Default Re: Can you upgrade to guns on Britannia campaign?

There are no "true" musketeers in Britannia like those enjoyed by the Portuguese, Turks, Venetians, etc, in the Grand Campaign. Calivermen are the best gunners in the campaign, but while they slightly outrange arquebusiers, they do not have the range of musketeers -- or, for that matter, good archers like saethwyr or longbowmen.

What faction are you playing? You're not Irish or Scottish, so English, Norwegian, or Welsh?

Settlements with sufficient Irish culture (70%+) can recruit mercenary calivermen from large/huge cities and stone castles, fortresses, and citadels.

If you're England, arquebusiers are available from your cities if you have army barracks.

If you're Norway, hand gunners are available from your cities if you have militia barracks or better.

If you're Wales, magnelwyr (slightly different hand gunners) are available from your cities if you have militia barracks or better.
    ೋღ☃ღೋ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~you are a beautiful strong Catholic monarch~ ~
    ~ ~who don’t need no communion with Rome~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Maklodes View Post
    There are no "true" musketeers in Britannia like those enjoyed by the Portuguese, Turks, Venetians, etc, in the Grand Campaign. Calivermen are the best gunners in the campaign, but while they slightly outrange arquebusiers, they do not have the range of musketeers -- or, for that matter, good archers like saethwyr or longbowmen.

What faction are you playing? You're not Irish or Scottish, so English, Norwegian, or Welsh?

Settlements with sufficient Irish culture (70%+) can recruit mercenary calivermen from large/huge cities and stone castles, fortresses, and citadels.

If you're England, arquebusiers are available from your cities if you have army barracks.

If you're Norway, hand gunners are available from your cities if you have militia barracks or better.

If you're Wales, magnelwyr (slightly different hand gunners) are available from your cities if you have militia barracks or better.
    I'm playing the Norwegians, what are hand gunners? like pistol soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcasey123 View Post
    I'm playing the Norwegians, what are hand gunners? like pistol soldiers?
    Basically, they use the most primitive handheld guns: those without matchlocks, which must be lit with a sort of ignition rod. Their bullets are almost as powerful as arquebuses, but they have poor range (shorter than archers), and their accuracy is equivalent to crossbowmen. On the positive side, they're pretty well armored and tougher in melee combat than most gunners.
    ೋღ☃ღೋ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~you are a beautiful strong Catholic monarch~ ~
    ~ ~who don’t need no communion with Rome~ ~

As Norway, I suggest you stick to using your superior infantry instead of firearms. The reason for this is that norwegians get the most primitive gunpowder troop (hand gunners) and they are not very reliable shooters, which is why they get heavy armor and decent hand-to-hand stats. Norwegian infantry should wreck the scottish pikes quite easily and even neutralize irish cavalry (if you are using two-handed units).

Good luck, you have a hell of a campaign in your hands. Norway is always a nice challenge in Brittania.