Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Emperor do you choose?

Default Which Emperor do you choose?

Amongst the four Roman Emperors available at the campaign, which one do you prefer, not only regarding gameplay, but also regarding their history? I want to know what you guys think so that I can better choose which Emperor I should play as.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Which Emperor do you choose?

I'm a sucker for Constantine. Daia is fun too, but I'm looking forward to the Persians to get an overhaul so fighting them will be more fun. Ahiga's stuff is really ing cool.

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Maxentius is a great challenge especially when you're fighting Constantine AND Lcinius and Daia and at the same time... AND WINNING

Quote Originally Posted by isa0005 View Post
    Maxentius is a great challenge especially when you're fighting Constantine AND Lcinius and Daia and at the same time... AND WINNING
    ROMULUS AUGUSTULUS OFF COURSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Deciusalexius View Post
    ROMULUS AUGUSTULUS OFF COURSE.
    BUT TRULLY NO ONE IS INTERESTING FOR ME.TOO MUCH FANTASY. CHRISTIANITY IN THE BEGIN IV CENTURY ON THE WEST.FUNNY.
    SECOND THING: MAXENTIUS WITHOUT PREATORIANS IS LIKE ROME WITHOUT MARIUS, CAESAR, POMPEY, TRAIAN...ETC

You really need to read some history, mate

Ok, maybe I should

I'm not trying to be offensive.
    "Rise of Christianity" is a part of mod name which exactly image the main concept, you know. Not "Constantine: Christianity era" or something

Since Constantine's war with other contenders he was famous as Christianity developer, and when he become sole Emperor he made Christianity the main religion at the Empire. Isn't it complete recognition of "Rise of Christianity"?
    Last edited by Avetis; October 30, 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Maxentius has Praetorians so not sure what you mean there

And yes, while I agree it is a stretch having Christianity be the dominant religion for Constantine to start you have to remember this is a video game. We are limited by the structure of the game itself.

If there was a way to let the player/faction switch their religion (culture), then that would be the best way. But, they can't, so we make compromises for gameplay purposes.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I haven't actually read the contemporary annals, which seems somewhat sacrilegious to say after working on the mod, but the general lowdown on the four emperors as I've come to gather it for anyone unfamiliar with the period is:

Constantine I, raised as emperor or caesar in the West by his father's soldiers - and oddly enough I believe a friendly king of the Alamanni. Doing so pissed off Galerius (the remaining first generation of the Tetrarchs, Diocletian having gone to retire) something fierce. Most people are familiar with him already - fights Maxentius first/primarily in Spain then Italy culminating in Milvian bridge. From what I recall of my course on Roman history 3-4 years ago there's a great deal of skepticism that Constantine I converted overnight at Milvian Bridge (as Dresden has noted in the past, we have him start Christian since you can't convert cultures in the game) and that he wasn't a dogmatic sectarian or what I'll anachronistically call an Evangelical Christian - I forget the specifics as to why, but basically just a man whom Realpolitik reigned supreme. Constantine I's units feature shield emblems based on future Auxilia Palatina units as well as at least one with the famous chi-rho. May have been propaganda but I seem to recall he was pretty brutal to the Franks.

Maxentius is something of the tragic figure among the Tetrarchs in my mind. He's the only one of the four (even of the six if you include Galerius and the rebellious Alexander in Africa) deemed an outright usurper because he was unilaterally raised as Emperor by his soldiery in Italy and defeated efforts by one of Galerius' lackeys to eject him. But if I recall correctly as time goes on all of Maxentius' subjects save for some of his soldiers come to hate him for taxation and the whim of the rabble. Loses Africa to a rebellious Alexander, loses Spain to Constantine. Was accommodating of Christians and produced some sort of edict of toleration. He gets the famous Herculiani and Ioviani regiments as his proto-Comitatus legions.

Licinius is the longest survivor of the tetrarchs opposing Constantine. I don't recall too much about him except that he seemed to be religiously apathetic - a wife or relative who was Christian and may have somewhat Christianized him, but like Constantine or Maxentius more interested in peace and stability than religious creed. Swear I recall he was a proliferate builder. Was Galerius' bff. Co-signs edict of milan for toleration of Christianity.

Now Maximinius Daia, or as I like to call him, emperor fedora for a reason that will be shortly obvious, was related to Galerius. And of the Tetarchs, he and Galerius hated Christians something fierce. I'm not really familiar with him but I have to imagine possession of the East and association with Galerius meant he probably played a part in Galerius' Persian-wars.

If we do port to Attila then if I understand right we can have religion separate from culture, and hopefully the ability to change religion (not confirmed yet). But we'll have some mechanics in the mean while that should make it possible for Constantine I to not suffer exhorbantly due to Roman culture since his culture is Christianity.

'Gunny's Avatar Überrock über alles
    Content Emeritus

and when he become sole Emperor he made Christianity the main religion at the Empire
    to be fair, that was Theodosius, but Constantine, despite likely not being Christian himself, was an important patron of Christianity, and the Council of Nicea that formed under his auspices was incredibly important to the development of Christian theology, in addition to his other laws that further separated Christianity from Judaism.

We shouldn't also forget about his Mother. Maybe Constantine's patronization of Christianity is partially her influence.

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

It was not her influence, but maybe the love for his mother made him tolerant to other christains. Helena aka as Saint Helen, may have been a convert herself or was born a christian in an era of total persecution against those that practices the faith. She may have been spared maybe because she was part of Constantinus Chlorus servitude. Even if historians tell us that he loved his son, and not think he had the same feeling towards here. This is clear when he divorced her to marry Maxentius daughter. As for Constantine in the end he did what his mother wanted. For the first time in two century, christians had an emperor that could stop the hatred towards their fate. He was never a christian, but only a patron, he was baptized on his dead bed.

But non the less I admire him for what he did, he was the least of the four emperors but gained all for himself. The others failed to see the danger and ambition the man had. It can also be vengeance at how his mother was treated that forced him to take the step and be proclaimed emperor.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Maxentius has Praetorians so not sure what you mean there

And yes, while I agree it is a stretch having Christianity be the dominant religion for Constantine to start you have to remember this is a video game. We are limited by the structure of the game itself.

If there was a way to let the player/faction switch their religion (culture), then that would be the best way. But, they can't, so we make compromises for gameplay purposes.
    Maxentius inside mod hasn't praetorians only any palatine troops, similar like Constantine.Maybe they are the praetorians...I don't know but nevermind.Mod was good idea because many teams making mods about same times.20 mods about the same _ that doesn't make sense, but this is my opinion.

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

What other mods are there set in this time period? I haven't seen any.

I think, Deciusalexius means there are a plenty of mods about classical period (as vanilla), and not so much with different period.

Exactly, I just said about classical age:twenty mods about the same period.
    Ealier, I tried to make mini, very mini mod or proply small mod about last days of empire: devided imperium.Plots: we have 460 ad, Western Rome is devided between barbarians nation and romans.After collaps last chance to rebuilt empire (recapture Afric provinc from Vandals) we have another civil war bettween Ricimer and Maiorian.My project collapsed-nobody was specially interested.

Quote Originally Posted by 'Gunny View Post
    to be fair, that was Theodosius, but Constantine, despite likely not being Christian himself, was an important patron of Christianity, and the Council of Nicea that formed under his auspices was incredibly important to the development of Christian theology, in addition to his other laws that further separated Christianity from Judaism.
    Yes, this was Theodosius, the emperor who made christianity the official religion of the Late Rome Empire. By the way, this mod is supreme! awesome! incredible! like Dresden said...the mod team made what they can do with the scripts of the original game.

Thanks CRoC team...I really apreciate your hard work on this, and yes Deciusalexius
    , you need to read some history =)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Flavius View Post
    Yes, this was Theodosius, the emperor who made christianity the official religion of the Late Rome Empire. By the way, this mod is supreme! awesome! incredible! like Dresden said...the mod team made what they can do with the scripts of the original game.

Thanks CRoC team...I really apreciate your hard work on this, and yes Deciusalexius
    , you need to read some history =)
    I just said about historically aspect this mod not about work.
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; November 12, 2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: insult removed

Please refrain from name calling or any personal attacks or I will have to close this thread.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Maximus183's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Deciusalexius View Post
    To Marcus Flavius:
    You idiot!!!
    Go to learn yourself reading contents written. I just said about historically aspect this mod not about work.Than stop raining upon my head
    Wether you need to learn history or not, you definitely need to take a chill pill and stop flinging insults at everyone no matter what they're saying to you (especially when they're not even being rude to you).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast