Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man Never Changes - A Post Nuclear Apocalypse One-Shot RP (Proposal, Discussion and OOC Thread)

Default Re: Man Never Changes - A Post Nuclear Apocalypse One-Shot RP (Proposal, Discussion and OOC Thread)

So perhaps something like the Palatine Guard or Crusaders mentioned in the Rome idea,the former being a volunteer/militia operating in Rome and the suburbs of the city while the latter also are volunteers sent out into the Italian Wasteland.

Or a hybridization of the two, a military group who serve as officers/elite troops alongside a volunteer/militia force drawn from common people?

Edit - Pretty much what LM said below.
    Last edited by Xion; August 15, 2014 at 05:34 PM.

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: Man Never Changes - A Post Nuclear Apocalypse One-Shot RP (Proposal, Discussion and OOC Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    Why not a "citizen guard"-style group of militia so that people are still people of common background as Aggy suggests?
    Well I guess I could change it. Either one of my ideas still promotes common background; simple people who rose up to be their city's elite protectors. Citizen guard or not, they still promote that ideal. I mean I am gonna be reviewing the profiles and making sure people just don't make god chars or characters that are just impossibly amazing.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

First step - story has a city or something rise up as a democratic state like Megaton or New Vegas.
    Second step - this settlement or whatever needs to protect itself
    Third step - create a situation where average people with various backgrounds are conscripted into an outgoing militia of sorts.

A situation of serious threat to survival could work and also be the plot or background plot.
    Another suggestion is to destroy our home and have us wander like Aeneas after Troy.

Citizen

Does it have to be a democratic state lol

Lets just say a proto-nation in the post-apocalyptic era. Cause since its a hundred years since the fallout, communities of survivors have begun to band together to form proto-states. Eventually, say another century or so, they would become a post-nuclear nation.

I have been getting some messages and people like my Aachen idea. I could just adjust both the Aachen and Brussel ideas slightly and re-post it to fit everyone's suggestions.

Citizen

1. Location: Aachen, Germany
    The World has changed for the German People. Yet just as they have survived two world wars, they can survive a nuclear holocaust. Being situated farthest from the Great Crater, formerly known as Berlin, the nuclear devastation was not so bad, but still harmful. The German people live wearing gas masks while on the surface and have built communities out of the many bomb shelters beneath the city. Here the Oberkommando der Aachen (The High Command of Aachen) rules in place of the Third Reich. This militaristic regime seeks to reunite the German people, rebuild Aachen and, if possible, the whole of Germany. They believe in progress, unity and obedience, not in the obsolete Facist and Nazi ideology that brought about their fall. For the new world to come, they needed to move forward and away from the past. Under the reign of the Reichsmarschall, the Baron of Aachen, Georg Augustus Fromm, the High Command and its goal has slowly begun to form, but there are always obstacles in the way. These obstacles not only include the mutants, but fellow German brethren who have turned to raiding, banditry and Facist ideals that seek to overthrow what Aachen has so long fought for.

You, my fellow German, are a member of the High Command's Volkssturm, the Freikorps of Aachen, the People’s Militia. This militia has recently been implemented due to losses among the regular and elite forces against the ever present menace of mutants from Berlin. This is a volunteer force of persons who come from all sorts of backgrounds within the High Command’s society who seek to do their part for the future, a better future. Within the military hierarchy, this People’s Militia goes by the name of Green Masks (Grüne Masken) due to the distinctive green gas masks that are worn by members of this militia. This militia fights alongside the regular Grey Masks (Volksgrenadiers) and the elite Black Masks, who serve as the frontline military in the war against mutants and in defending the city of Aachen. Each militia command is structured around a few hundred people within sectors that make up the city’s interior and exterior. As a member of this militia, your duties involve aiding the Grey and Black Masks, scouting and retrieving material as well as serving as the sector’s local protection against mutants, bandits and all belligerent parties that venture too close to the Oberkommando’s territory.

2. Location: Brussels, Belgium
    We have always suffered at the hands of conquerors, even when that conqueror is supernatural. Our homeland has endured the spread of nuclear fallout and the explosion that roared northwest, right into our homes. We had suffered under the Germans twice now, only to be devastated by this unlikely conqueror. A century has passed since then and the nuclear fallout has begun lessened, allowing our people to surface from the shelters that protected us only with the aid of gas masks. We have begun to rebuild, grow and, hopefully, prosper as the fallout begins to lessen. Despite all that has happened, we have survived and seek to once more thrive. Brussels is now the center of the Free Republic of Brussels, a bastion of democracy, unity and freedom for our people in this harsh wasteland. Despite such a bastion, our home is being threatened from great enemies beyond. Daily mutants and nuclear-created creatures come from Germany, hoping to overrun our beloved land. In addition to these mutants, a remnant group of the Third Reich, calling themselves The Brothers of the Iron Cross (Die Brüder des Eisernen Kreuzes), seek to conqueror our home in order to further their goals and rebuild their might. While this remnant group seems the lesser of the two evils, their weaponry is impressive and skill is uncanny, proving this splinter group to be as great a threat as the mutants that grow in numbers daily.

You are a member of the Free Republic's most frontline defense against these two threats; the Lion Brigade, a militia force that is comprised of volunteers that are devoted to the preservation of the Republic's existence. The Brigade serves as a newly formed people’s militia in wake of recent and continuous losses against the mutants and the forces of the Iron Cross. The Lion Brigade, known for the lion crests upon the shoulder pads, is a militia that seeks to defend the interior and exterior of Brussels, aid the regular forces of the Free Republic and serve as a symbol of the people’s power within the Republic. ‘For the Freedom of Brussels’ is the known motto of this militia and has served as a rallying cry for the past one hundred years.

=====================

New ideas. The 1st one was edited thanks to a suggestion from Xion. Hope this looks better.

I don't get the appeal of being a militia over a 'elite force'. If this militia is like the one I mentioned in the Rome idea, it'd be restricted to controlled territory or at most the city limits of Aachen compared to the Black Masks/'elite' force being capable of exploring anywhere in the wasteland on top of the city. So, in theory we may end up missing out on some interesting rp and character development from exploring the wasteland. As for the elite force, I don't think Lucius intended for the Black Masks(or any of the 'elite' groups) to be veteran soldiers with extensive combat experience but instead the best equipped of the Oberkommando(or respective group)'s forces due to their role of exploring the wasteland and being a primary defense over the militia being a auxiliary force. Plus, with the potentially high casualty rate of the Order(or MIA soldiers sent out into the Wasteland) preventing the formation of a all-veteran force, it's likely new members are raised from the Freikorps of Volksgrenadiers who show some promise in training/a small skirmish or two over being trained from scratch.

I also don't recall LM saying the Order was drawn from an exclusive group, so having a 'humble' background could be entirely possible for a member of the Order which probably was initially a volunteer force or drawn from the top percentage of recruits to the Volksgrenaiders from the civilian population, now could be a promoted militia, volunteer to the Order, or a recruit still, all potentially from a humble civilian background.

Edit - Updated the Rome idea a bit :
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Following the Nuclear Triad Incident, the people of Rome turned to religion for guidance in these chaotic times, resulting in the Catholic Church gaining greater influence over sections of city of Rome, while refugees from across Italy and perhaps even Europe came to Rome to seek guidance from the Pope as well, or more likely a shelter from the chaos where they may get basic human necessities. Two hundred years later, the Vatican has gained control over a decent portion of Rome divided into three sections by fortified walls made from the remaining sections of Rome's historical walls, the wall around the Vatican, and improvised material from ruined buildings or destroyed sections of the walls. Castel Sant'Angelo is used by the Knights Hospitaller as a base and is the primary location for restoration of Old World technology. Three small outposts usually manned by a squad of ten Palatine Guardsmen and a officer have been established in the Catacombs of Rome to defend against any potential mutant or other creatures who may have found their way into the Catacombs from appearing behind a Wall(or Walls) of the Vatican. Outside of Vatican territory, Rome is divided between Rioni that have been overrun by mutants in the past, abandoned by the Vatican/other humans for some reason, or petty human states(likely small bands of raiders or scavengers). Outside of Rome's city limits, the Vatican recently has gained three small outposts from a successful Crusader exploration into the wasteland, but otherwise Vatican presence in the Wasteland is Crusaders out exploring for technology to bring back to the Hospitallers, patrolling for potential threats, and scouting.

Players may choose to be members of two of the Vatican's forces, the Palatine Guard or the Crusaders. The Palatine Guard is a militia/volunteer force tasked with the defense of the two outer walls of Vatican-held Rome, patrolling Vatican territory, and the reclaimation of the other Rioni of Rome from mutants that overran them in the past/abandoned by humans for some reason/rival human groups, usually raider groups that harass the Vatican patrols/etc.. The Crusaders are volunteers(with decent equipment) sent out into the Wasteland to search for old world structures, technology, potential threats to Rome, resources, and other missions up to attempting to establish a Vatican outpost in the Wasteland. Other forces of the Vatican are the Swiss Guard, drawn mostly from the Swiss population(either descendants of refugees who came to Rome or the Swiss Guard at the time of the apocalypse) that serves as the defenders of the third wall ringing the Vatican itself and occasionally supporting Palatine forces in combat, three small Crusader groups who operate an outpost each in the Wasteland, and the Knights Hospitaller, who defend Castel Sant'Aneglo and focus on restoration of any Old World technology brought back to Rome.

*A alternative to the Vatican could be a Roman styled commune being formed, similar to what Cola di Rienzo did in the 14th century. In this case, the Palatine Guard would be divided into the volunteer/semi-regular 'Legionaries' and the more militia-like 'Vigiles', the Swiss Guard 'Praetorians'(also not restricted to a specific group like the Guard is), Crusaders 'Speculatores', and the Hospitallers 'Architecti'.
    Last edited by Xion; August 16, 2014 at 12:25 AM.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I like all of the ideas now that they've been modified a bit. I simply was saying that we weren't going to have a ton of RP as an elite force, because it doesn't really make sense for the elite, best-equipped, most senior guards in the city to go gallivanting around in the wasteland. It also allows for more player growth. I'm not sure what our rules are going to be, but if there's any sort of leveling up system (whether of stats or weapons), it would make a lot more sense to start as nobodies than as already well-trained veterans.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I like all of the ideas now that they've been modified a bit. I simply was saying that we weren't going to have a ton of RP as an elite force, because it doesn't really make sense for the elite, best-equipped, most senior guards in the city to go gallivanting around in the wasteland. It also allows for more player growth. I'm not sure what our rules are going to be, but if there's any sort of leveling up system (whether of stats or weapons), it would make a lot more sense to start as nobodies than as already well-trained veterans.
    I think you misunderstand what I mean by 'elite.' What I mean is better equipped, not well-trained veterans. Black Masks casualties are often due to their line of work and so they won't always have veterans in their ranks. Some will come from regular folk, the militia or the Grey Masks who have the guts and dedication to be among those who do the most dangerous work.

And no, there won't be a leveling system. That would be too much work. It is a one-shot roleplay after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    We wouldn't have much rp as a militia either that is regulated to the controlled territory and serves as a more static defensive force while the "elite" forces serve as a more active defense, engaging threats before they reach the established settlements or controlled territory. Which could allow for more rp and development in how the players deal with the threat rather than just waiting for it to reach Aachen and deal with it from likely fortified positions. That and they are not exclusively a defensive force like the militia -
    Under the command of our Hochmeister, you serve as the Baron's knights, a group of a hundred brave personnel who are considered to be the most holy and noble vanguard of the Reichsmarchall's effort to regain the surface and rebuild our beloved Aachen and, one day, Germany. As member, the Black Masks seek to solidify our territory, retake other sections of Aachen as well as the surrounding area back from the mutants that continue to surge daily from the direction of Berlin. Your task, in addition to police roles, involves scouting and mapping areas, termination of mutants, and the rediscovery of World War II technology, ranging from factories dedicated to cars and steel production to food storage units to caches of weapons and tanks, all in the efforts of rebuilding our military, rebuilding our city and protecting our home. You are the sword of the Baron, the shield that protects Aachen and the hope that will bring a brighter future.
    The 'elite' forces appear to be a combination of roles over a defensive force. With the Volksgrenadiers falling in between the militia and 'elite' forces.The multiple roles players could fill provide options to specialize in, allowing for more player growth than the militia may allow. Could also require greater player interaction to build a well-balanced force to survive while out in the Wasteland. Along with conflicting goals(One player could want to try and acquire a Old World firearm of some sort found in a derelict factory while on a mission to exterminate a raider hideout, so do the others continue on with the mission or does the one player convince them to abandon the mission and go for the weapon(s)?) that could arise from encounters and challenges in the Wasteland.

While the militia are more restricted-
    As a member of this militia, your duties involve aiding the Grey and Black Masks, scouting and retrieving material as well as serving as the sector’s local protection against mutants, bandits and all belligerent parties that venture too close to the Oberkommando’s territory
    This leads me to believe the militia(at least in the Aachen setting) will not provide more player growth due to it's limited spectrum in comparison to the 'elite' forces that can go potentially anywhere Plus they likely have less chances for potential disagreements and conflicts amongst the players as the 'elite' expedition forces may have to forage for supplies/encounter new objectives/etc. while the Militia likely can easily return to Aachen or a outpost to be resupplied(or easily retreat from a new threat). Any equipment leveling probably will be restricted to being found while on missions, as the militia probably have mass-produced post-apocalypse weapons like FNV's Service Rifle (or more likely something like the Varmint Rifle as the service rifle likely would go to the Volksgrenadiers first, then any leftover to the militia) if not pistols and/or other basic weapons every civilian may be required to have in case they have to defend their home. We are not starting off as well-trained veterans, as Lucius said above, it's more likely we all will be fresh recruits given decent equipment and basic training before being sent off to the front over veterans of many missions.
    Last edited by Xion; August 16, 2014 at 10:53 AM.

Citizen

That's exactly what I was planning to do. Thank you for elaborating on this, Xion.

Our characters for the Black Masks would not be all veterans, but instead be fresh recruits recently added to the Black Masks who were given the best equipment available as well as having gone through basic training. The NPCs may be the veterans around us, but we aren't. So that does leave plenty of room open for a humble background that you and BF want, Aggy.

Plus, its like Xion said, Black Masks have more potential than a militia group. They go out into areas that the Volksgrenadiers nor Militia would dare get close to. They have to use the environment to survive and their life expectancy is low due to their high risk missions. Thats why I promote the Black Masks because we would have a lot more to do within and outside of Aachen compared to the militia idea.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I'm liking all this quite a bit...just saying I'm still here, ever watchful.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Fine, alright. I just didn't think it made any sense to be throwing the best troops in the city into the wilderness, so I didn't think we'd be doing anything really. But, if these are elites that for some reason leave their area all the time, then sure.

Taking the chance that it is too late to suggest another idea (though I am already quite fond of the Aachen idea, since I am from Germany)(This is in large part inspired/outright stolen from a German RPG called Heredium):

When Little Boy devastated the world, two brothers serving on a ship in a pacific fleet used the chaos to stage a mutiny, bringing four ships total under their control and taking off on their own.
    Casting anchor at the north-eastern coast of the devastated Australia, the fleet was soon joined by scattered civilian and military ships, seeking shelter and strength in numbers. While a chanty town called Checkpoint was created at the landing point, parts of the fleet son started to systematically raid the coasts of the small continent.
    It doesn’t take long for the chanty town to grow into a proper city, as more and more refugees flock to the place, lured by promises of safety and the growing wealth amassed through many members using their ships to become freebooters. Under the banner of the two brothers that started the whole venture, called Raging Bull by outsiders, scouts venture into abandoned cities on the continent and outposts are built in the outback and close islands, while setting up trade agreements with othr societies in south Asia.
    The fleet of Raging Bull is a place that openly invites outcasts from all over the world, who share the common goal of leaving their past behind and/or being shunned by the societies they hail from. Acceptance also includes mutants, as long as they can still think clearly. While seemingly and anarchistic bunch of loners, members of the fleet and Checkpoint are bound together by their shared acceptance of the survival of the fittest and rejection of a world that shuns them.
    Possessing the biggest fleet left on the planet (mostly consisting of former civilian vessels upgraded with new guns), Raging Bull is determined to ensure that only one law rules the seas: Their own. Intend on securing their superiority, they either steal of destroy the ships of other nations when and wherever they can. Even though many of them take systematic raids on shores all over the world to bring riches back to Checkpoint, they are also responsible for restoring intercontinental trade in the world. For the right price, they can easily be convinced to transport goods and passengers with their ships rather than rob a potential client. And since aside from the surviving populace of Australia that make sup their ranks, most of their newer members used to be criminals in their former lives, they have made a quite lucrative business out of selling their services as mercenaries.

So, I think that introduces something one doesn’t see very often in post nuclear setting. Pirates and life on the sea (optionally inhabited by mutated sea-monsters). As members of Raging Bull, we can have our own personal ship, our own personal dock at Checkpoint, and have a variety of jobs on the ship, from captain to helmsman to the guy who keeps the engines running, to trader to pirate to mercenary. Plus, owning a ship can take us to many different locations, starting with a sea battle and ending at the shores of Norway. Additionally, it’s a place where it’s okay to play as someone with a visible mutation.

Thoughts?

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that this idea intrigues me. I do so enjoy the concept of a wasteland setting.

However, and forgive me if I missed the answer to this in a previous post, I was wondering. Why not have us each play as a survivor? Someone trying to simply survive on what they have, at least at the beginning of the RP. Almost akin to the Fallout games themselves.

This, of course, could be the choice of the player. They could also be one of the veterans or militia you were speaking of. Or a pirate, like Gaia said.

But that's just my two cents. Looking forward to however this turns out!
    Oren (Died of natural causes) - Athreon - Torgo - Mariel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12