Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One US general was killed in Afghanistan

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Default One US general was killed in Afghanistan

A news that probably please neither Taliban nor US government.

A US major-general has been killed in an attack by a man in Afghan military uniform at a British-run military academy near Kabul, US officials say.

Fifteen others have been injured. Half of them are thought to be Americans and they also include a German general.

Afghanistan's Ministry of Defence said the Afghan soldier was shot dead after he opened fire.

The major-general is the most senior international soldier killed since the fall of the Taliban in 2001.

The BBC understands the shooting at Camp Qargha happened after a dispute broke out.

The attacker was a soldier who was recruited three years ago, Afghan defence ministry sources told the BBC.
    Source

Since there is no evidence suggesting this Afghan soldier is targeting the general nor whether the action is motivated by Taliban, we probably can say Taliban is not pleased to hear that a random war lunatic is more effective than religious nuts like themselves. On the other hand, I do wonder is this a common way to release stress in Afghanistan? Also would this event affect US strategy in Afghanistan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Heinz Guderian's Avatar *takes off trousers

Default Re: One US general was killed in Afghanistan!!

It just all sounds like a misunderstanding to me.

What's he worth, one hundred blessings?
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    What's he worth, one hundred blessings?
    72 virgins are certainly too few for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

I think it's a pretty even split between people that go into "spontaneous islam" mode and carry out these attacks, and people that do it for personal reasons, because their "honor" was offended in some manner or they were slighted in some way during their interactions or something.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Since there is no evidence suggesting this Afghan soldier is targeting the general nor whether the action is motivated by Taliban, we probably can say Taliban is not pleased to hear that a random war lunatic is more effective than religious nuts like themselves.
    Seeing as the Taliban has retaken large swaths of the country in recent months, I doubt they will lose any sleep over it.

The GI's I have talked with are jealous. They've always wanted to shoot a general or two.

I thought their weapon of choice was a grenade? Forensics can't trace the shrapnel, such as is the case with a bullet.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    I thought their weapon of choice was a grenade? Forensics can't trace the shrapnel, such as is the case with a bullet.
    CSI Afghanistan?

Lord of Nihilism's Avatar Semisalis

Another casualty in the ongoing Afghan War. I've been noticing that a lot of generals in the US, British and Canadian Army(Or any Army for that matter) have quite a substantial amount of ribbons and/or medals for doing absolutely nothing, so it's refreshing to see a general be tested in combat to see if he or she are worth their metal. Unfortunately, it seems this US General hasn't seen a lot of combat and thus he was KIA.

Holger Danske's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    72 virgins are certainly too few for him.
    Indeed, he'll be rewarded with 72 virgin goats!

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

I just saw that on ABC and then on BBC because I didn't believe it from just one channel. I was speechless. The USA major-general wasn't the only casualty; a general of the Afghans was also wounded, I don't know how badly. More than 12 people were shot according to BBC.
    I haven't been as shocked by a random event of violence since 9/11.

I don't find the death of a man joking matter but yes, it seems a lone wacko is more dangerous than a calculating enemy. After all, lone wackos have killed Presidents, senators etc in the past.
    May the victims of this shooting rest in peace.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 05, 2014 at 04:27 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

An engineer...
    He was an engineer with a PhD in materials; not too far from what I study.
    R.I.P.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.

Farnan's Avatar Saviors of the Japanese
    Right behind you starring over your shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Torment View Post
    Seeing as the Taliban has retaken large swaths of the country in recent months, I doubt they will lose any sleep over it.
    It's summer...
    “The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards.”

—Sir William Francis Butler

https://library.usc.edu/uhtbin/cgisi...ssing%5Eauthor

This is the Late General's PhD thesis. A lot of work behind that one. Lot's of tests. I know generals aren't civilians but I'm still saddened by the loss of a fellow Engineer.
    Last edited by alhoon; August 05, 2014 at 05:03 PM.

Not to undermine the tragedy for this man's family and his troops, or the fact that he's clearly a higher-value target than your average GI, this was "only" a major general...a two-star. In the American military, this means a division commander (or the staff equivalent). While they're not exactly thick on the ground (the Army is statutorily limited to only having 231 two-stars at a time), if there's such a thing as a "common" general, he'd be it.

Essayons, sir....but this isn't a policy-altering event by any extent.

LexLuthor's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Nihilism View Post
    Another casualty in the ongoing Afghan War. I've been noticing that a lot of generals in the US, British and Canadian Army(Or any Army for that matter) have quite a substantial amount of ribbons and/or medals for doing absolutely nothing, so it's refreshing to see a general be tested in combat to see if he or she are worth their metal. Unfortunately, it seems this US General hasn't seen a lot of combat and thus he was KIA.
    That is a grossly ignorant comment to make, and quite a disrespectful one too.

By your logic, anybody who has died in the battlefield is lacking in training. Coming from a Marine who has been to Afghanistan, I can tell you that the Taliban and Gorilla fighters are organized and smart, they're not some rabble screaming ALAH! like so many think. Along with that, claiming you find it "refreshing" in seeing men tested and killed is also disturbing. A General officer is someone that has a grand level of experience, and they don't just pump out like they do in your video games (I'm a Sergeant and have only seen a handful in my 6 years of service). Please respect those who have fallen, and the families who will no longer see their loved one again.

- Lex

Edited for Grammar
    Last edited by LexLuthor; August 05, 2014 at 06:05 PM.

Lord of Nihilism's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by LexLuthor View Post
    That is a grossly ignorant comment to make, and quite a disrespectful one too.
    I wouldn't consider my comment ignorant or disrespectful.

By your logic, anybody who has died in the battlefield is lacking in training.
    Usually that's the case though since you're given the knowledge and the tools to get the job done in the Army, so if you get KIA then it's most likely due to insufficient skills.

Coming from a Marine who has been to Afghanistan, I can tell you that the Taliban and Gorilla fighters are organized and smart, they're not some rabble screaming ALAH! like so many think.
    Yes, i'm well aware that the Taliban and these militia fighters are battle hardened, but the General also should've been battle hardened but as we can see it's not the case.

Along with that, claiming you find it "refreshing" in seeing men tested and killed is also disturbing.
    Just to clarify, no where in my post did I express joy or happiness that a general was KIA. With that being said, how else do you find out if your soldiers, officers and generals are capable of combating the enemy? You have them fight the enemy so you can determine if your troops and training are superior.

A General officer is someone that has a grand level of experience, and they don't just pump out like they do in your video games (I'm a Sergeant and have only seen a handful in my 6 years of service). Please respect those who have fallen, and the families who will no longer see their loved one again.
    Yes, he "supposedly" had a lot of experience but as we know it seems that his experience was nothing substantial since a......third world person managed to take out a general. Now, if a standard front line troop was KIA then it wouldn't have surprised anyone, but the fact that a general who is supposed to be the best of the best; a master in hand to hand combat, marksmanship and tactics was KIA is concerning.

My point is that the performance of a major general, who is supposed to be extremely battle hardened and skilled, ended up being KIA by a third world person. This death of the general warrants an investigation in my opinion so hopefully the US Government will do so.

A general is supposed to be 'a master in hand to hand combat?' What the actual ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast