Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fix for RSII following steam update.

DatwasbullXX's Avatar Libertus

Default Fix for RSII following steam update.

Well, after my first thread addressing MY issue is now seemingly dead, I think it is time we all start reporting issues with the new update.
    The point of the new updates M2TW and RTW received was to remove Gamespy and introduce Steam multiplayer.
    It however, like all updates we get from CA these days in about every TW game, causes enough trouble to outweigh anything good.
    Reports of a broken AI, stats not working right, and many other issues in vanilla installations of both games are a cause for concern. However, the worst part of this update is the breaking of mods. Mods are broken for me in both games
    (There goes both my Rome save in RSII and Byzantine save in KGCM for M2TW which has about 60 hours into it ).
    So this thread will be a place for everyone to report issues and try to find a fix.

Default Re: Fix for RSII following steam update.

its not working for me either .. it worked perfect before but after the update it does not work .. i tried installing it a 100 times but nothing works

I reinstalled RS2 today. It was working before, but now i can't get it to work again. It keeps crashing when i start a campaign, at the end of the loading screen. Otherwise, the game starts correctly.

If someone could help me on this i would be very gratefull

Exact same problem for me, I've been looking everywhere for some explanation or fix. It crashes every time I try to load/start a c

Same, ive looked everywhere for a fix and nothing so far... sucks cuz i really wanted to try RS2 after R2TW was such a disaster.

Having the same problem but don't really want to buy the game again. If anyone could find a fix it would indeed be much appreciated.

I did this but since it activates through steam and I already own it on steam no luck. I guess I may have to go buy a CD Drive since I own 3 copies of RTW and can't play RS.

Any fixes for this yet? Or in future.

No fixes yet. This thread did not get quite as many responses as I had hoped.

Also, some bad news, the digital non-Steam version of RTW has been removed from the GamersGate website, and has been replaced with the Steam version for sale on the website.

Such a shame! It has taken me hours to finally get the mod installed properly and working, only for it to crash when I start a campaign, so much disappointment!!! Something should be done to solve this issue.

Having same problem. CTD on the campaign loading screen. So I had to dig up teh hard copy I bought in 2003-2004 can't remember and it's in such good condition. The manual, the map...THE MAP what an awesome map, they sure don't make them like that anymore.
    Anyway loading it now, fingers crossed.

Update: bloody CD 1 was damaged grrrrrr, guess I'm stuck with Steam version
    Last edited by Rostam_e_Iran; December 15, 2014 at 02:41 PM.

Laetus

This is just so annoying about CA. It's like they've gone from that nice little downtown store to a Walmart type of superplatform. Shame.
    RS team should actually start a company themselves, I bet they wouldn't do that bad.

Are there any solutions in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by Rostam_e_Iran View Post
    Having same problem. CTD on the campaign loading screen. So I had to dig up teh hard copy I bought in 2003-2004 can't remember and it's in such good condition. The manual, the map...THE MAP what an awesome map, they sure don't make them like that anymore.
    Anyway loading it now, fingers crossed.

Update: bloody CD 1 was damaged grrrrrr, guess I'm stuck with Steam version
    Does Windows Explorer at least list the CD contents? If so, try to find the .exe and copy it directly to your Steam installation. I did something similar, playing a non-Steam .exe over a Steam installation.

Okay guys, so I don't know how many of you will see this. But I figured it out. So my old computer where I had RSII installed with the steam version of RTW died. Like the motherboard straight up fried itself to death. So having got a new computer, I got the pang to slay some Gallic heathens and spread the glory of Rome across the uncivilized world (I mean how many of us have been there?). I did the installation and everything and ran into the problem. I start a campaign, loading screen comes up, and bam! CTD. Even that little error message about Rome Total War Alexander not working. I knew that I had encountered this problem before and I knew I got around it since I was playing RSII as early as January of 2015. I tried everything, even a new install. And then I remembered, I think one of the comments here reminded me. Its the .exe files. The Steam version's RTW .exe files, for whatever reason aren't compatible with RSII. I don't know the the tech aspect behind it but I remembered, that I had to change the .exe to the old CD version. Then, in a stroke of brilliance for which I thank my earlier self, I had had the foresight to keep a copy of the old CD .exe for Alexander in my files which I moved over to my new computer. I put it in into my RSII directory, and... it works. Campaign loads up perfectly.

TL;DR

You don't need the whole CD. You just need the .exe files for RTW, RTW:BI, or RTW:ALX depending on which one you're using to launch RSII. They should be easy enough to find online. If not, is there some way to upload files up here, I'll upload my RTW:ALX .exe that I'm using.

If you could find a way to upload that exe. that would be fantastic

PeaceWalker what do you do with the exe. file?

This guy needs a medal! spread the word to anyone with this problem, the pre-patched .exe that this guy has linked works, at least as long as ive been testing it.

If it is legal to I can share copies of the exe for RTW 1.5, BI (1.6) and Alexander (all CD Retail versions), I don't think it is legal to share share "NO-CD" patched versions I have access to those too, if it is ok to share.
    Might also have a 1.3 RTW, as well as a release day copy, lying on one of my old hard drives if anyone requires it.
    I also have CD/DVD versions of Mediaeval II Gold Retail (and no-cd patched versions) as well.
    So long as I don't fry any hard drives there will always be a versions of vanilla and some mods + mod tools (going back to 2004 even) installed somewhere that I can access, and if a situation arises and it is ok within the copyrights etc to share the files with the community, I will.
    As for steam versions I think they auto-update on my machine, but I can start backing up updated versions for the community if required.

Yes, we've known for a while that earlier .exe files will work.

But you can't share them on this forum openly as it breaks the rules...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast