Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: v1.0 Discussion Thread

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

Default v1.0 Discussion Thread

Please discuss all matters relating to v1.0 here.

All bugs, errors, and technical issues belong in the Error Reports forum.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Default Re: v1.0 Discussion Thread

Since this isn't a part of the OP, I'd like to remind people that use the torrent to be considerate and please SEED after they are done downloading the mod. Thank you

Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: added gif

Okay. First thoughts after a few battles with random factions and testing a campaign. I noticed that some of the long distance sprites/models for certain factions are not there yet (silver people at a distance) - specifically with the Nanman.

Elephants go crazy at start of every battle without fail.

Is there a reason Crossbowmen fire like bowmen vs. like crossbowmen? Gameplay purpose maybe?

I like the look and feel of everything so far. Map looks beautiful.

I noticed many of the troops are mimics of each other. Factions have some unique units, but for the most part there is no difference between archers/swordsmen from one region over another. Just wondering about this, usually people do a Rock/Paper/Scissors method of giving certain regions better troops in 'this area' such as with Ba-Shu's Crossbows, but I guess the Zhuge Crossbows are pretty awesome.

Anyways, all the trade nodes and campaign map models seem good. Will let you know if I spot anything else.

Deciphering The Zodiac - Check It Out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Zhi Han View Post
    Okay. First thoughts after a few battles with random factions and testing a campaign. I noticed that some of the long distance sprites/models for certain factions are not there yet (silver people at a distance) - specifically with the Nanman.
    All of the Nanman are from the original RTW mod. More than likely will not be addressed until specific units undergo reskinning.

Elephants go crazy at start of every battle without fail.
    Known issue. Still not sure what causes this.

Is there a reason Crossbowmen fire like bowmen vs. like crossbowmen? Gameplay purpose maybe?
    I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean the loading/firing animations? I just checked and crossbowmen use the standard crossbow animations.

I noticed many of the troops are mimics of each other. Factions have some unique units, but for the most part there is no difference between archers/swordsmen from one region over another. Just wondering about this, usually people do a Rock/Paper/Scissors method of giving certain regions better troops in 'this area' such as with Ba-Shu's Crossbows, but I guess the Zhuge Crossbows are pretty awesome.
    There are differences in units just like you describe (and has been for several beta patches). Each region has a specific unit-type they excel at (+2 bonus), two they are proficient at (+1 bonus), and two with no bonus. It isn't rock-scissors-paper, as I personally despise that concept in a game that emulates warfare. Plus it is a civil war and all factions fought relatively similar with the same equipment, tactics, and organization, meaning making major differences would simply be arbitrary. Here is a chart on regional bonuses for unit-types:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Code:
    -   Sw    Sp    Cav  Bow  Xbow

HB        +1a   +1d       +2ra

ZY  +1d         +2a       +1ra

JZ        +1a        +2ra +1ra

JD  +2a         +1a  +1ra

XL        +1a   +2c  +1ra

BS  +1d   +2d              +1ra
    Last edited by Seether; August 04, 2014 at 08:32 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Crazy Elephants - we may have to remove the 'can_run_amok' attribute and balance it by reducing hit points or attack values. Or increase the mental stats. It's not much better in R2 from my experience. Playing as Bactria I don't know how many generals I lost because of that until I switched from elephant to horses (suck at auto resolve) and eventually to infantry.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

Is it normal that the settlement doesn't upgrade? I'm playing with Gongsun Zan

Default Re: [三国上] Rise of Three Kingdoms - v1.0 Official Release Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post

Gig Studios is proud to present a preview for the first official release of Rise of Three Kingdoms, a total conversion for Medieval II: Total War - Kingdoms. The setting of Rise of Three Kingdoms focuses on the 100-year long civil war in China, during the 2nd and 3rd centuries, following the fall of the Han dynasty. Boasting a unique map, factions, buildings, units, events, trait system, enhanced scripting, and historical characters with extensive biographies, it offers a unique and immersive playing experience in the momentous battle to unite a divided China.

For those of you who are not familiar with the Three Kingdoms period or the history of the era, here is a short 3-4 minute animated gif called "The Story of Han" which explains the most significant events leading up to the starting timeframe of the mod. So please, sit back and enjoy!

Below you can find some screenshots of both the campaign map and a couple of military units on the battlefield, offering just a tiny glimpse of the many things to expect in the official v1.0 release.

Download available now

Download available now

If you already have the beta do you install this game over it? or does it work like a patch?
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: added spoiler

Blog Entries

Default Re: [三国上] Rise of Three Kingdoms - v1.0 Official Release Preview

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus from the download thread View Post
    Installation Procedure
    1. Delete the mods\Three_Kingdoms folder and the desktop short cut if you had a previous version of Rise of three Kingdoms installed
    2a. Torrent Download - Make sure all files listed in the 'Content' picture are in one directory
    2b. Media Fire Download - Extract all three downloads into one directory, compare with 'download content' picture
    3. Run\double click the EXE (Application) file - the DO files will install automatically
    4. Check the patches section below for additional installations\patches (once we have some)

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by andrej84 View Post
    Is it normal that the settlement doesn't upgrade? I'm playing with Gongsun Zan
    Works for me.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

Blog Entries

The 'fortified passes' don't upgrade and one or two small settlements. Otherwise 'mousing' over the population number will give you the required population for an upgrade.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 04, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The 'fortified passes' don't upgrade and one or two small settlements.
    Ok, but it seems strange that all the settlement that I have can't be upgraded... Are you sure that it's not a bug? Thanks

Yeah I checked, they upgrade at 18000 pop, isn't it a bit to much, with a popolution growth rate of 1%? they must go from 4000 to 18000
    Last edited by Seether; August 04, 2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Double post

Quote Originally Posted by andrej84 View Post
    Ok, but it seems strange that all the settlement that I have can't be upgraded... Are you sure that it's not a bug? Thanks

Yeah I checked, they upgrade at 18000 pop, isn't it a bit to much, with a popolution growth rate of 1%? they must go from 4000 to 18000
    Just give it time or try to use "better" governors (those with high Acumen and honor) to speed up growth. When the upgrade thresholds were lower, nearly every settlement would be either a large or huge city by turn 50; it was out of control Besides, not every settlement is meant to become a great city and not every governor is good at developing settlements.
    Last edited by Seether; August 04, 2014 at 12:04 PM.

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

great mod, having a lot of fun with my Lu Bu playthrough! although I'm curious, which factions have family trees?

oh btw, this ambushing general doesn't have textures. he's just south from Xu Shi ( i think that's his name)

Seconding the Yellow Turban's lack of a commander model, probably an easy fix with replacing something in a export file.

@Masaky: Certain factions do not have family trees because of their 'religion type'. In this case Factionism which seeks to break apart and start it's own kingdom apart from the Han does not carry forth faction trees, which seems somewhat accurate since most of these factions during the Three Kingdoms era did not have normal hereditary functions as much as they had generals who would take the leader's place should he fall.

I think it'd be cool if most or every faction had family trees, but *shrug*. (I also like playing as Lu Bu)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    The 'fortified passes' don't upgrade and one or two small settlements. Otherwise 'mousing' over the population number will give you the required population for an upgrade.
    I keep getting this notification while trying to install part 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1,022.4 KB 
ID:	311499

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

Ah I see, thanks for the answer. (and good, Lu Bu is the greatest under the heavens.)
    Last edited by Yuko; August 04, 2014 at 06:18 PM. Reason: I fail at quoting.

@Masaky
    Thanks for the missing texture report. And Tan Zhi Han is correct about Yanzhou (Lu Bu) and Liang (Li Jue) and why they do not have family trees.

Quote Originally Posted by PUNKK View Post
    I keep getting this notification while trying to install part 1

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1,022.4 KB 
ID:	311499
    You have to do as the install directions say and have the contents of the all 3 Parts in the same directory.

- Download Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3
    - Extract the contents of the zip files (will be 3 separate folders named Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
    - Inside Part 1 folder you will find the Three Kingdoms v1.0.exe file; Part 2 folder will have the Three Kingdoms v1.0.D01 file; Part 3 folder will have Three Kingdoms v1.0.D02 file and a pdf file
    - Place the all of the game files (Three Kingdoms v1.0.D01, Three Kingdoms v1.0.D02, and Three Kingdoms v1.0.exe) into the same folder/location
    - Run Three Kingdoms v1.0.exe and follow install instructions

@Gigantus: After several tests it seems removing can_run_amok is the only way for me to stop them going amok randomly without entering combat. I game them higher mental stats, but they still ran amok on their own.

As per the crossbow shooting... I'm just not sure crossbows should be able to be fired up high into the sky and have the bolts rain down. I know crossbow bolts have drop in their trajectory, but firing it straight up like that?

*Shrug* I've never done it with a crossbow so I don't know.

Can any faction become emperor? Also Factions like the Heishan?

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Zhi Han View Post
    As per the crossbow shooting... I'm just not sure crossbows should be able to be fired up high into the sky and have the bolts rain down. I know crossbow bolts have drop in their trajectory, but firing it straight up like that?

*Shrug* I've never done it with a crossbow so I don't know.
    Oh... that's what you meant; I thought you meant how they were firing crossbows straight ahead
    That's shooting up high and raining down bolts is a vanilla firing mechanic, and I'm almost certain that is hardcoded. They do that when they don't have direct line of sight to shoot because a friendly unit, wall, or something else is in between them and their target. As I said, it is a vanilla mechanic (just like how firearms can't shoot down from walls) and I don't believe we can do anything about it because it is hardcoded.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Templar View Post
    Can any faction become emperor? Also Factions like the Heishan?
    Yes, any faction if they meet the conditions.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast