Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Default Re: The ToolBox - The 'Universal' Batch File v1.0 (Steam-Compatible)

If I understand the steps to get this to work, you need to extract the Universal batch file to your modfolder, and then rename .cfg file of the modfolder to Configuration.cfg ( for example, Third Age TW has a TATW.cfg file, and then you need to rename it to Configuration.cfg)?
    Correct?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Guan Ziyang's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: The ToolBox - The 'Universal' Batch File v1.0 (Steam-Compatible)

Correct. I addressed this in the latest revision that will be released shortly so that the .cfg will auto-rename itself. One less thing to worry about

CLICK ME - New Updated Steam Batch File (Universal for All Mods Edition)

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Version 1.103 Released
    - Fixed Bugs
    - Compiled batch launcher into working application
    - Implemented new logging system (see below for details)
    - Auto cfg file renaming

Another release, another change to the OP. The Universal 'Batch' File is now the Universal Mod Launcher, with a new logging system. With this new system in place, it will log everything that is being done into a text file, as well as report any errors. Here's an example of the logs it produces:

[Universal Mod Launcher by Guan Ziyang - Copyright 2014 started on 22/08/2014 23:56:18.86]
    [23:56:18.87] Variables have been set...
    [23:56:18.87] ERROR - Configuration.cfg was not found... If this is a personal modification, please create a configuration file to make your mod work! Please refer to tutorials at TWCenter.net on creating this file.
    [23:56:18.87] Directory changed to C:\Users\WINDOWS\Downloads. Will proceed to find kingdoms.exe in C:\Users\WINDOWS\Downloads.
    [23:56:18.88] Steam version detected. Will proceed to start game.
    [23:56:19.90] Steam Version of Medievall II was sucessfully launched through the merged Medieval2.exe. If problems encountered, check the log for errors
    ENDING LOG...

(Result of me running this in Downloads, which obviously doesn't contain the mod or Medieval II)

As you can see in the log, it detected that the Configuration file wasn't found, therefore the program will not work. By viewing the log, we can now easily tell what went wrong and where. (Of course, it still needs a bit more work. Right now the 'logger' can't really detect whether Medieval is actually running or not; not sure if this is possible in batch though). Steam detection needs some improvement as well in terms of the logging (seems a bit silly that the log can report that the Steam version was detected in Downloads )
    Last edited by Guan Ziyang; August 22, 2014 at 11:37 PM.

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

I apreciate alot your effort and dedication to fix the issue with steam and to respond.
    But , isnt it possible to explain a bit better or create something easier or a screenshot tutorial ? ... i think im about to go buy a mtw2 cd ...
    Thank you for your time.
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

I've already put enough information out there for you to get this working properly, I don't understand why you see a need for further information that is simply unneeded. I've put clearly in the updated OP what you need to do: extract the 7zip archive and put the Launcher.exe into the mod folder. It's that simple, everything else has been automated since this latest update. This method compared to the others out there is already as easiest as possible.

And as I added in the OP and my last post above, if you encounter any errors, simply post the log.

Currently when I extract the launcher.exe using 7zip it only extracts the readme, the launcher.exe is briefly visible in the folder than disappears.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas45 View Post
    Currently when I extract the launcher.exe using 7zip it only extracts the readme, the launcher.exe is briefly visible in the folder than disappears.
    Just checked, everything works fine on my side. Sounds to me that it has something to do with antivirus software and picking up the exe as a false positive. Went and did a scan with VirusTotal and got the following results. (Major anti-virus companies correctly detect it as safe, but the other smaller companies happen to detect it as a virus... Free free to add votes that the file is safe and hopefully the tech people at those anti-virus companies will fix the false postive)

Perhaps try adding the program to the exception list of your anti-virus software? If that doesn't work, download the source distribution and use the Launcher.bat & Shell.bat files inside (which is basically the non-compiled version of the launcher.exe)

Guan Ziyang, actually I am having a problem with extracting the installer with 7zip as well. 7zip actually refuses to do anything with the Binary Distribution. When I attempt to extract it, I get a 7zip error message stating that the file can not be opened as archive.

I downloaded the Source Distribution however, and it extracted perfectly and I used it to get all my mods working quite quickly. Thank you so much! With how insanely easy the Source distribution was to use, I can't even imagine how easy the Binary must be. Thanks to you, I was playing Total War: Westeros 5 minutes after my Steam copy of MTW2 finished installing.

Quote Originally Posted by fosterdisbelief View Post
    Guan Ziyang, actually I am having a problem with extracting the installer with 7zip as well. 7zip actually refuses to do anything with the Binary Distribution. When I attempt to extract it, I get a 7zip error message stating that the file can not be opened as archive.

I downloaded the Source Distribution however, and it extracted perfectly and I used it to get all my mods working quite quickly. Thank you so much! With how insanely easy the Source distribution was to use, I can't even imagine how easy the Binary must be. Thanks to you, I was playing Total War: Westeros 5 minutes after my Steam copy of MTW2 finished installing.
    Hmm... that's odd. I'll try re-uploading as a plain zip instead then, and see if that works.

Glad to hear that

EDIT: Alternate v1.103B .zip version

Try and see if this one works. If it doesn't or 'disappears', please let me know.
    Last edited by Guan Ziyang; August 28, 2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: removed broken upload

The ZIP and the 7z files are empty :c

Seems like as I feared, anti-virus is causing trouble again. Which anti-virus are you using? (Is the readme file still visible inside?)

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

There doesn't appear to be any bat file to launch or extract: When I extract it to a location it's just a blank folder
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

My bad, seems I forgot to put the actual launcher files inside in the zip version... The 7zip should be working though (extracts fine on my side)

(BTW, I changed it to an .exe since last update (hence the 'launcher' change )

[v1.103]
    - Download Updated Zip

EDIT: Just tested the 7zip version and works fine. If you encounter any problems, it's most likely anti-virus related (state the anti-virus that you're using and perhaps I might be able to help you)

Currently looking into another option to convert into a exe without triggering these false positives. If it works, then I will be updating all of them with the latest revisions.
    Last edited by Guan Ziyang; August 28, 2014 at 04:19 PM.

Version 1.204
    - Revised exe format (to prevent false positive detection by anti-virus)
    - Revised log format
    - Added additional triggers to end script if Medieval 2 installation does not exist

Should be the last update, unless more problems occur.

Downloads
    - [v1.204] UML - Binary Distribution (7zip)
    hosted at MediaFire
    - [v1.204B] UML - Binary Distribution (ZIP version)
    hosted at MediaFire - Alternate version if you are experiencing problems with 7zip version.
    - [v1.204] UML - Source Distribution (7zip)
    hosted at MediaFire - Intended for modder use

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Ziyang View Post
    Version 1.204
    - Revised exe format (to prevent false positive detection by anti-virus)
    - Revised log format
    - Added additional triggers to end script if Medieval 2 installation does not exist

Should be the last update, unless more problems occur.

Downloads
    - [v1.204] UML - Binary Distribution (7zip)
    hosted at MediaFire
    - [v1.204B] UML - Binary Distribution (ZIP version)
    hosted at MediaFire - Alternate version if you are experiencing problems with 7zip version.
    - [v1.204] UML - Source Distribution (7zip)
    hosted at MediaFire - Intended for modder use
    Works perfectly now! Thanks

Glad to hear that

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

[Universal Mod Launcher by Guan Ziyang - Copyright 2014] started on Thu 09/11/2014 6:26:08.47]
    [ 6:26:08.47] ERROR - Medieval II installation (Medieval2.exe or Kingdoms.exe) was not detected in C:\Users\Narthalion...
    [ 6:26:08.47] ENDING LOG...

[Universal Mod Launcher by Guan Ziyang - Copyright 2014] started on Thu 09/11/2014 6:27:12.03]
    [ 6:27:12.03] ERROR - Medieval II installation (Medieval2.exe or Kingdoms.exe) was not detected in C:\Users\Narthalion...
    [ 6:27:12.03] ENDING LOG...

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. I installed Third Age Total War mod 3.2 as directed. I changed nothing - just a straight install into my Medieval 2 folder. I run 64x Windows 7. The only "strange" thing about my computer is that Steam installs to the Program Files 84x folder, but the files themselves are contained on another HDD (the files in Program Files 84x are just shortcuts). I don't see why this would make a difference, though, as everything else works just fine by running along the same pathway.

Default Re: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Is the launcher placed in a setup like this?: GameInstallation/mods/ModInstallation

GameInstallation - Medieval 2 base folder (in your case, the files). The game executable (Medieval2.exe) should be in this folder.
    ModInstallation - the mod folder of the mod you wish to run (in your case TATW, the folder should be Third_Age_3). The launcher should be placed directly in this folder. Note that the distant between the base installation and mod folder is a sub-(or parent) folders apart (mods folder)

If the executable isn't 2 parent directories up from the mod folder location (or doesn't exist in that weird location Steam put your files in), reply and let me know. (If it is the case, I would also appreciate a screenshot of the base installation setup and mod folder setup)

Yes, I did all that. Here's two screenies for you, I hope it helps.

Good enough proof I'm not an idiot who can't follow directions, I hope... Lol

Now that's probably where a problem comes into play:

Quote Originally Posted by ThereWasADream View Post
    [Universal Mod Launcher by Guan Ziyang - Copyright 2014] started on Thu 09/11/2014 6:26:08.47]
    [ 6:26:08.47] ERROR - Medieval II installation (Medieval2.exe or Kingdoms.exe) was not detected in C:\Users\Narthalion...
    [ 6:26:08.47] ENDING LOG...
    The launcher is reporting that it is searching for Medieval2.exe in C:/Users/... while your actual files are in C:/Program Files (x86)/...

Are you sure the launcher is placed inside the Third_Age_3 mod folder? (If it is, you will need to disable the UAC, as it appears it has not been disabled yet).