Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

Guan Ziyang's Avatar Tiro

Default The ToolBox - The Universal Mod Launcher v1.204 (Latest Steam Update Compatible)

​After much hard work and research in the science of batch files and commands, I hereby present the latest revision of the Universal Mod Launcher (previously Universal 'Batch' File). The tool is mostly a result of me putting together the various solutions by the many helpful modders here to the latest Steam 'merge' update, which rendered the previous mod launchers like modStarter pretty much useless. Since there was a need of a new mod launcher, I went ahead to do some research into batch commands, and re-implemented features from the modStarter which was written as an application back into the simple batch files, such as the ability to work with any modification without the need of editing the batch itself.

With the latest update, I've incorporated another unique feature: Logging. Like the logs generated by Medieval II, these logs also provide details on what is going on within the program itself, as well as report any errors if found. Now, if you encounter any errors with the program, you can simply refer to the log and report the error with it attached. Hopefully with this feature, it will be faster for me to identify the problem directly without the need of more information from your side.

The new 'batch' file is now an application itself, like the old modStarter. However, this also comes with its limitations of a fixed icon. Therefore, I am releasing both the compiled binary (intended for players) and source batch files (intended for modders) in separate downloads. Both are compressed in 7zip archives. Programs like 7zip can extract these archives.
    (You can get 7-zip from here: http://www.7-zip.org/ or commandline equivalent p7zip from here: http://p7zip.sourceforge.net/ ) If you still have the older batch file version, running this new application will automatically clean them if detected in the same folder.

Terms of Use
    This application is free and there is no warranty what-so-ever. Use at your own risk. Application was compiled using the free Bat To Exe Converter (v2.1.2.0) by F2KO Software.

Copyright © 2014 Guan Ziyang

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
    it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
    the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
    (at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
    but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
    MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
    GNU General Public License for more details at
    http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl.txt

Downloads

Binary
    - [v1.204] UML - Binary Distribution (7zip) hosted at TWCenter.net
    - [v1.204] UML - Binary Distribution (7zip) hosted at MediaFire
    - [v1.204B] UML - Binary Distribution (ZIP version) hosted at MediaFire - Alternate version if you are experiencing problems with 7zip version.

Source
    - [v1.204] UML - Source Distribution (7zip) hosted at TWCenter.net - Intended for modder use
    - [v1.204] UML - Source Distribution (7zip) hosted at MediaFire - Intended for modder use

Known 'Bugs'
    - This program does not work and will not work if the line in the cfg file containing the mod folder's name and the actual mod folder directory name do not match up. I strongly recommend that you leave a mod folder's name as default as changing it may cause problems with the functioning and stability of the mod itself.
    - Obviously, this program, nor will any other batch or launcher will work if a .cfg file does not exist in the first place. Please check the log if a cfg file is not found.

I highly do not recommend you to do this: (obviously don't try this...)
    - If you do not have a decent understanding of DOS language and programming, please do not try to modify the source batch files on your own as it will most likely break something. If you encounter a problem with the launcher, please submit a copy of the launcher_log.txt and let me know. Don't try to fix it on your own.

Credits
    - Gigantus for being always helpful through PMs (and partial usage of the original batch file in the Bare Kingdoms mod)
    - Everyone who has contributed by reporting errors and bugs within the program

*Terms of Use format partially borrowed from Tellos Athenaios's PACK Tool

Last edited by Guan Ziyang; October 23, 2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: updated links

CLICK ME - New Updated Steam Batch File (Universal for All Mods Edition)

Default Re: The ToolBox - The 'Universal' Batch File v1.0 (Steam-Compatible)

Testing on Steam now for SS 6.4 and TATW+C&C. Will update with results.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

And then I only have to click on the bat file for the mod to launch yes?
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

+rep!
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

Doesn't work on Windows 8.1. Says it can't find the medieval2 exe file

edit: fixed by changing targeting of batch file
    Last edited by Hound of Ulster; August 08, 2014 at 12:12 PM.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster View Post
    Doesn't work on Windows 8.1. Says it can't find the medieval2 exe file
    Have you disabled the UAC?

Hound of Ulster's Avatar Senator

never tried that on this, but you just gave me an idea to try on Eras: Total Conquest (similar problems with batch file not working properly)
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Killing is Negotiating' A militiaman in 'Blackhawk Down'

Too many in Tech with 8/8.1 to get Kingdoms to work much less mods.

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

My guess is the problem is likely related to the virtual store, if you try and alter (i.e. add the bat) to the program files directory it will actually place the bat in the virtual store. So when it tries to go to the directory ../medieval2.exe it fails to find the exe because in the virtual store there's no exe in the ../ of the virtual store.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Hi Guys, not sure if it's my problem or a problem with the executable. I'm playing on steam with the third age mod + alternative patch. I used the method described above and got to the campaign menu, started a campaign as Dale, and the game crashed to desktop as soon as the intro video finished. Any ideas? It happens every time.

If you got this far this question belongs in the Third age submod's thread/forum.

Sorry but this doesnt work.I extracted the file called "Executable" into TATW file, named it to the british file ,etc went on steam to run the game and i got vanila.I went to run the game from "Executable" nothing i get the vanila. And vanila mtw2 not even kingdoms.
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

Quote Originally Posted by foot soldier View Post
    Sorry but this doesnt work.I extracted the file called "Executable" into TATW file, named it to the british file ,etc went on steam to run the game and i got vanila.I went to run the game from "Executable" nothing i get the vanila. And vanila mtw2 not even kingdoms.
    Have you asked the Third Age forum?
    Have you read the OP in here about NOT renaming the campaigns? http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...07-2014-update

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Have you asked the Third Age forum?
    Have you read the OP in here about NOT renaming the campaigns? http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...07-2014-update
    Yes i have and i have been sent to this topic.
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :

Then, I would say this is what you need to do then. I haven't checked timestamps but the Toolbox may predate this link.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Then, I would say this is what you need to do then. I haven't checked timestamps but the Toolbox may predate this link.
    No problem ,i apreciate your atention but it doenst work what is writen here.
    And from the TW forum Nico wrote on the 2 proceedures to change the file of medieval2.exe .I dont have any file with that name.
    I dont know ,am i doing something wrong ? Is it possible that something have change since their last posts ....
    Last edited by foot soldier; August 23, 2014 at 03:21 AM.
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :

You do in the main Medieval II Total War folder.

Be sure it's set to show extensions in Folder Options.

Quote Originally Posted by foot soldier View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're having problems running the batch. However, I've already received multiple 'thumbs-up' on running this on Steam, so I would assume that this would have to be something going wrong on your side.

From your description, I would assume that you have renamed the TATW folder, which is a big no-no. The batch file refers to the .cfg file within the TATW folder which contains the information of the mod folder's name. If they don't match up, then it simply defaults to vanilla. Note that you must run the game from the batch file.

(This batch is also included in the latest version (v1.1) of Rise of Three Kingdoms, which was released 4 weeks ago. Haven't received a single report of problems from Steam on that side, and it's been pretty traffic intensive for the last few weeks. Also, apologies for the late reply, I just happened to be sleeping for the last 12 hours )

Hi Guan,

If I have given any misinformation, sorry.

No harm done, everything you said was correct

Currently doing some updates to another version that I've been holding on to for a while (currently only exclusively used in Gig's Rise of Three Kingdoms). Expect an update release within the next 24 hours.
    Last edited by Guan Ziyang; August 22, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast