Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Warman's Preview Thread

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Warman's Preview Thread

Nice. Very nice. I can already hear "freeedooom"

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Wow. Probably your most impresive unit, warman.

Okay I got all three Highlander units done! These units are very much inspired by the way they were depicted in Medieval 2. To the point where I'm showing some comparison pictures here as well.

Highlanders:

Medieval 2 unit

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Highland Archers:

Medieval 2 unit

Highland Nobles:

Medieval 2 unit

absolutely perfect mate!

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Outstanding !

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

bloody fantastic that is !

If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I'm back at my college dorms and started classes a couple of days ago. So now there's a bit of a balancing act at play. However I only have one class today and the weekend free so I'll try to get as much done with Scotland as I can in that time. I also found a couple more knight helms I've implemented. I'm also going to adjust and reduce some of the emblems on the communal units so that's there is more Venetian or generic symbols and less ones from other parts of Italy. Then later on I'll have a similar unit with ones taken out doe Genoa, etc. I'm also going to try and add some symbols to the leather jerkins to distinguish factional units better. Lastly I want to do some Templar and Hospitaller(spelling?) units for factions that aren't HRE/Hungary. Pretty much just a knight and an infantry unit for both orders. I want to do that to compensate for the larger HRE roster that the TO units bring about. I'll also add the Knights of Santiago to Castile and similar things. It won't take too long so don't worry.

Is the map moddable and if so would it be possible to have 1 region provinces so every city can have walls?

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Nice work.

However I must put a huge "hoola" on the scotish units. This looks belong to a semi-romantical portrayal of modern history scotmen and not accurate Scotish soldiers. I don't want to sound pedantic (I would not be uo to the level anyway) so before I bore you with more details is it intentional or not ? You have my excuses if it is the case.

Yes it is and not all the units will be like this. The current roster is as follows:

Highlanders
    Highland Archers
    Highland Pikemen
    Highland Nobles
    Hobilars
    Pikemen
    Knights
    Squires
    Castellans

I want to put one more non Highland-esque unit but I can't think of much. But back to the point yes it is intentional.

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Warman, the Medieval 2 mod War of the West has a great Scottish roster with non-Highland units. I'll make a quick preview when I get a chance
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

I'm aware of that mod and looked it over just now. While it's a little tricky to adapt some of their unit concepts in this mod since they're going for a more accurate approach, I have found another unit to add: Border Horse, a melee cavalry unit similar to the Hobilars, but heavier equipped and designed for more direct attacks.

So while I'm wrapping up the Scottish Roster, I figured I'll give you something to tide you over. Note that the cross thing might change.

nhiều cái hay nhỉ cũng gần nhŕ em chiều đi lŕm về em rẽ qua chỗ bác xem sao

Okay I changed the UI main page again so I'll post screenshots later. I decided to spend this day getting as much UI work done as possible and focus on the remaining units done later. I have many of the faction symbols done, a couple of loading screens and other stuff done. The big thing I'm going to work on is unit cards, stay tuned.

I decided to count how many coat of arms/emblems I have put into this mod so far from all the nations. Note that this is not counting Ltd's work here. It's around 200 in total! Yeah, that's a pretty big number isn't it!? This mod will be a hard drive hog, right now it stands at 2.5 GB and that's not including Ltd's recent work with Poland and TO either. What I'm going to do is with the Steam Workshop page have a placeholder mod and a download link in the description for the full size file you replace the placeholder with. Non-Stema links will be provided as well including Moddb hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    I want to put one more non Highland-esque unit but I can't think of much. But back to the point yes it is intentional.
    Kerns?

I'm leaning towards putting them in another faction. Also I'm an Artifex now guys! So there's that too!

Cyrene's Avatar Vicarius

Congrats warman, you deserve it and more!

Just a suggestion about the highlanders: remove the suebian knots for some more immersion.

Duly noted. So I was looking over all the units currently implemented and such and I somehow forgot that I have a very groundbreaking unit in the mod. I have mixed feelings about keeping it in largely because I can't finish the animations for it. I got a new siege weapon in the game, a Catapult, ported from Medieval 2. I think I brought it up a few months ago but that got distracted by my efforts with the trebuchet and other areas of the mod. I'm torn because I don't have true turning animations, I'm just using the idle animation, which makes part of the model bug out during the few seconds of the turning animation. The rest looks fine and presentable. I'm going to keep trying to fix it but if I can't, would you guys be fine with it as a bonus unit?