Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Warman's Preview Thread

MagicCuboid's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Warman's Preview Thread

looks good. I'd recommend some solid skirmisher/ambushy archers to represent a regional basque unit, who were known to occupy hills and rain arrows down on enemies. And of course, the famed Almughavars as mercenaries would be great. They were lightly armored, employed throwing weapons, and I believe a hacking short sword.

The "throw on charge" ability would probably make sense in their context, as well as some kind of anti-cavalry ability, as they were famed for their ability to avoid a lance and gut a horse from under the rider. Light Almughavar skirmisher cavalry would also, I think, be appropriate.
    "I've snapped and plotted all my life. There's no other way to be alive, king, and fifty all at once." - Henry II, The Lion in Winter

That what I meant by the javlinmen, I was talking about the Almughavars!

While you're working on the Spanish list, Warman, please include the Knights of Santiago as a Castilian unique unit. The actions that King Alfonso VIII took, in giving the order their headquarters, basically made them vassals to the Castilian kings- and they were unique among all of the knightly orders in that they viewed themselves as such.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Okay will do. I also finished the texture work on the Spanish Squires, now I just need to bring it all together. Also I want to adjust something with the first release faction list. I want to take out Bohemia and put in Hungary. Ltd already has a couple of their units done and I don't think there's enough to go by for an early roster for them. It'll just be for the best.

That sounds like it's for the best. I had only included Bohemia on the list to see if we could use the deployable war wagons in the first release. Since those will take a lot of time and effort to build, replacing Bohemia with Hungary sounds better for the first release. Good call.

CREDO IN VNAM, SANCTAM, CATHOLICAM ET APOSTOLICAM ECCLESIAM

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Yeah, I planned to complete Hungary first before moving on to Poland, Bohemia and the Middle East. If I understood correctly, warman, you intend to do all orders (templars, teutonic knights, orders in jerusalem...) or just some, cause I would need to add templars and teutonic knights to hungary anyway, since both operated there for a short period.
    If all goes according to plan, I might be able to get my hands on some nice hungarian , polish and bohemian textures next week, when I finally get home, but for now I'll try to complete the hungarian roster first.

Looking very good, I just have one question. Why are some melee infantry units using big pavise shields, I know crossbowmen and archers used the big ones but didn't infantry and cavalry use smaller sized pavise shields? I'm no expert so I was just wondering.
    Nevertheless you're doing a fantastic job, thanks for all the work you guys have already put into this mod.

Because I've also come across depictions showing infantry using them too.

@Ltd. I was going to do the Orders but I'm thinking of doing them later on, maybe tie it in to the Middle Eastern work when we get around to it. That includes order units like the knights of Santiago.

Okay I was going to upload a preview of the current Spanish units in this post but I forgot to take some screens of the Squires and Castellans, so hang on,

Okay here we go an epic preview of nearly all the remaining Spanish units. The only one left is the Alamughavars. I'm also showing the Jinetes again because I shrunk the adargas a little.

Espadachines:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Apellidos

Slingers

Jinetes

Cabelleros

Castellans

Squires

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Wow, all those units ! And those shields look neat !

Question : Do those units are for Portugal too, in addition of Leon, Castille and Aragon ?
    Last edited by BalrogOfMorgoth; August 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Looks awesomeeˇ

These look aweome, do you think you'll release a battle trailer that shows the trebuchet in action?

After watching the screenshots and videos: very nice work, this era surely deserves a mod with the R2 engine. But some critisism: weapons carried by infantry seems to be too large, looks more like 2-handed weapons time to time. Especially axes.

Yeah i'm aware and will fix them at some point. The trebuchet is not really yet, mainly in the animations. I finished up the Almogavars and will upload some screens of them soon. Next up is Flanders so that should be interesting.

Once again I keep hearing people bringing up the color concern and that they want something more uniform. I'm getting really frustrated about this guys. I just don't know what to do. I could try to keep a sort of color scheme where I keep the emblems, but only the ones related to certain colors like for HRE, yellow and black and maybe a third color. I'm going to test it out and post a comparison.

I feel that a simple solution to the uniformity issue is to give a few units in each group a tunic in the faction's colors. This will help you pick out the unit owners in the middle of a battle without having seas of yellow Castilians.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Yeah i'm aware and will fix them at some point. The trebuchet is not really yet, mainly in the animations. I finished up the Almogavars and will upload some screens of them soon. Next up is Flanders so that should be interesting.

Once again I keep hearing people bringing up the color concern and that they want something more uniform. I'm getting really frustrated about this guys. I just don't know what to do. I could try to keep a sort of color scheme where I keep the emblems, but only the ones related to certain colors like for HRE, yellow and black and maybe a third color. I'm going to test it out and post a comparison.
    You can have it when you zoom out it goes to the faction colours. By having that imposter model being the colours of the faction.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonater47 View Post
    You can have it when you zoom out it goes to the faction colours. By having that imposter model being the colours of the faction.
    I am not sure having each unit have his own imposter model is a good idea performance wise. The imposter models are there to let you see units under their flag even if they are very far away, which means you wont recognize the individual soldiers anyway. But by having so many different imposter models for the game to load addionally...well...won't end up nicely.
    Honestly, I prefer, by far the more uniformity variant at least in case of knights where each knight represented his own family COA and not just a standard green, yellow, red or any other colour just to make his enemies know that he is in the other party.
    As far as I could tell, even the different WE knights belonging to different factions don't look that similar in warman's units to cause so much fear of confusing friend from foe. You have COAs and you have shield designs that make things easier to distinguish. Obviously I don't know all or even most of the COA but maybe it' s time to make myself accustomed to them :-)
    Last edited by Ltd.; August 27, 2014 at 01:12 PM.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Warman, in case you didn't see it, here's something that could help you with the Flander officer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guy of Dampierre.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	312855

Good work on Flanders ! IMO, you should use a more brownish yellow for them, in case they realy look like the HRE

eatme's Avatar Senator

Those unit models look awesome!
    It may be inherently tough but hopefully some Xbow units are in the works?

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post

I'd prefer it if the colours were historical and units kept they're full variation - especially knights. If you go with uniformity, can you increase the likeliness of black/yellow HRE coats of arms without actually removing the others? Or at least keeping the most historically important families regardless of colour so there is a degree of uniformity without it completely removing some of the work you've put in.
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.