Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Warman's Preview Thread

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Default Re: Warman's Preview Thread

All look great warman,well done. no surprise there...
    Regarding the stradiots, maybe you can add some round shields, or to reduce additional workload, maybe you could make the shield model (at least the larger one) a bit smaller, by about 30 % as they are light / medium cavalry and would make them even more accurate.
    Thank you for your continued effort.

So I'm almost done with the expansions and improvements to Castile's roster. Expect screenshots in a little while. The additions have been completed for the Latin Empire too though there isn't much to look at there. I have also changed my plans slightly regarding the planned additions to Poland and Hungary. Instead on changing the current knights and add squires and castellans, I'm not touching the knights or squires, I will be adding the castellan unit still plus other unit additions that shouldn't take too much time to do. For instance I'm adding a Pavisier unit to Hungary given the fact I keep seeing rosters for mods and games featuring them. If it seems like a lot it really isn't, despite all the total war this will involve, it is still about half the amount of work that I would have to do for the original plan.

Okay, pardon the double post but here's the additional three Spanish units for Castile.

High Era Spanish Knights

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Halberdiers

Rodeleros (Sword and Buckler Men)

nice but those shields are a little clunky

Hello warman. About those high era knights, I wish that some knights could have wear some coat of plates as true representation. And some could have metal plates in their shoulders.

And one more thing, what era will this mod's timeframe stops? I wish I could see these models in your mod. take a look in this pic

I am a fan of this mod even though i only played the custom battle release. And not to mention but I'm a Filipino, sounds crazy right? Haha. I like medieval histories. I played total war games. So i keep looking forward to this! Godbless you and your team.

Perhaps for Hungary and Poland you can take inspiration from Med 2. Add some nobles, hussars (light lancer medieval version). Maybe add some Lithuanian auxiliaries/mercs to Poland and steppe auxiliaries/mercs to Hungary. Because as of right now I don't see any reasons for playing these 2 factions as they lack unique units. I love the work you've done with the other factions. Looking forward to playing with the Italian units you've made. Great mod.

It's funny you mention that Han_Yolo because I have a preview of the additions to Hungary and Poland. I think you guys will like these ones!

Hungary:

Stradiots (Hungarian variant)

Pavisiers (With awlpikes)

Hungarian Swordsmen

Castellans

Halberdiers

High Era Hungarian Knights

Poland:

Polish Noble Cavalry

High Era Polish Knights

Polish Swordsmen

Castellans

Polish Noble Infantry

As you can see, I did incidentally take inspiration from Medieval 2 for some of these units. Like the Polish Noble Cavalry is a missile cavalry unit for instance like in Medieval 2.

The Nobles look FANTASTIC

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Just a small heads up, those Polish Nobles should be more viking like if we talk about javelin using cavalry (Druzhina), but with those armaments and from late XI century they were already lancers

Besides that, great work
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Perhaps but I'm cheating this for gameplay reasons, to give Poland a more unique unit than just another shock cavalry unit.

I came across something new that might help make the High Era Knights look more different from the Early ones. Based on what Finix posted of the Italain knight this new shield model I came across might be more accurate.

"One of these shields is not like the others..."

So I'm considering replacing the kite shields for the later knights with ones like new one above. I can use the same textures so it shouldn't take too long to implement, easily done in a day at most. Do you guys think this is a good idea?

Looks great, keep up the good work!
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    I came across something new that might help make the High Era Knights look more different from the Early ones. Based on what Finix posted of the Italain knight this new shield model I came across might be more accurate.

"One of these shields is not like the others..."

So I'm considering replacing the kite shields for the later knights with ones like new one above. I can use the same textures so it shouldn't take too long to implement, easily done in a day at most. Do you guys think this is a good idea?
    As far as I know these kinds of shields were used mainly in the late 15th century, so with plate armored units it would fit perfectly. It may be a bit soon for the transitional armored units. I think heater shields are perfect for these knights, though I can imagine a late italian condottieri with one of the shields in question. Looks great, though

Okay, then I'll just keep the heater shields then.

I'm a little late but those Polish Noble Infantry look amazing The Lamellar looks really good on them. I also like the shields and the Polish Noble Cavalry.

The more I look at the nobles the more I think that despite looking really cool they do not represent Poland's nobility throughout the whole span of the game. To clarify I found some photos. Unfortunately I can only provide the link (pg26-30): http://brego-weard.com/lib/MA445.pdf
    As you can see the lamellar isn't the only armour worn by nobles and is eventually completely fazed out by plate armour and chainmail. So perhaps you could include another unit such as a high era Polish noble to represent this change or simply give more variation to the current unit. Just a suggestion. Also will hussars be available to Slavic units? And will there be an addition to the mercenaries available to eastern European/Balkan factions (i.e. Steppe Horse archers)? Can't wait for the Attila conversion

So you saw a glimpse of it in the most recent machinima I made but I've started doing some major adjustments to units starting with the communal militia. We have a new team member who I'll announce later once he's done more stuff since he's been working on templates right now. He made a bunch of proper gambeson textures utilizing some of the current models in the mod already. We really didn't have too much for that armor type so as a result some units look heavier armored than they should of to compensate. So before I show you these screens let me show you the reference pictures I used.

Reference Pictures:

I managed to find some of the same weapon models used in the first few pictures, anyways here's the result:

So I might add a proper spear variant in the weapons mix and the gambesons look too bright but other wise I feel it came out much better than what I had before.

great news, and way better looking with new gambeson's! still,aren't those pavises too big ?

I like the militia armour!

But yep, also in my opinion those shields are too tall. Were so tall shields really used in melee fights? I doubt it would be effective in any other roles than fixed defense position. A "defensive pavise" (it was sticked to the ground) used by crossbowmen was 4-5 ft (120-150cm) tall. There also were carriers for those huge shields in some records.

I would understand pavise shield for infantry to be more like this, and I think in ME:TW 2 those largest shields were chest height, max.

Last edited by Kalatorni; March 18, 2015 at 08:25 AM.

I'll see what I can do about the pavises. It's been a while since I posted a status of things on my end. I have been doing things on and off but I'm balancing my film and college work with this and those take priority so I haven't been as active as I often have been. However things are lightening up a bit so I'm trying to get things back up and going again. Utilizing the assets from Ltd's work he's sent me, vanilla Attila stuff, the stuff from our TBA new member and stuff on my end, I'm revamping many of the units again. The Attila release isn't coming out for a long while yet so it's not like this is going to bog it down much. I'm also going to change the way the Western European units are referred to in this mod. Essentially I'm dividing the current units into these types.

Peasants
    Militias
    Serjeants
    Men at Arms
    Nobility

Stuff like the Peasants is pretty obvious on what units will be in them and haven't changed too much in terms of organization. I'm going to focus on the middle three. From what I've researched, here's how say, England's roster will be more or less.

Peasant Class:

Peasants
    Armed Peasants
    Peasant Archers

Militia Class:

Town Militia
    Bill Militia
    Longbow Militia
    Hobilars(Or some type of light cavalry unit unique to the English)

Serjeant Class:

Bill Serjeants (Billmen)
    Archer Serjeants (Yeomen Archers)
    Serjeants (Castellans)
    Heavy Bill Serjeants (Heavy Billmen)
    Heavy Archer Serjeants (Retinue Longbowmen)

Men at Arms Class:

Foot Men at Arms (Sergeants and the Armored Sergeants)
    Mounted Men at Arms (I was thinking about taking the Miles unit, change the equipment slightly and have that be the mounted version)

Nobility Class:

Knights (Early, Mid, Late)
    Squires

Okay explanation time. So basically the current units in the mod called Sergeants are basically going to become the Men at Arms units. Stats wise the Sergeant units were almost exactly like the Men at Arms of France anyway. And the Castellan units will be come the new Serjeants. I have the J replacing the G to distinguish the old units from the new. There's going to be a MAA cavalry unit added to the mix because of a lot of battles I've read about they weren't on foot like the mod has them. Now this isn't just a renaming, the units will be getting a lot of visual changes as well as mentioned above. I have some screenshots to showcase the recent progress. I took a lot of reference on how Ltd has been doing things and tried to blend it with my style both in terms of models used and overall aesthetic.

Armed Peasants:

Peasant Archers:

Bill Militia

Longbow Militia

Archer Serjeants

Bill Serjeants

Serjeants

So a couple things to note. For starters as you saw I added some new bill models to the mix. The shields on the Serjeants will be adjusted so that they only have shield designs that lean more towards yellow and red. So interesting stuff across the board, wouldn't you say?