Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Default Re: Mad Max Fury Road (2015)

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    was that real?
    lol no. It is a parody. I just found it funny to put that there.

flota's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Really, do wee need to waste words to convince somebody to see this:
    Spectacular movie
    Tom hardy nailed the role as a silent anti hero, max is awesome.
    Charlize stole the movie.

All the weirdness just fell right, nothing out of place for that world
    Imposible is Nothing.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

just saw this movie. Two words....Holy

Charlize stole the movie.
    Pretty much. She was much more awesome then Tom Hardy. The movie should have been called "Furiosa Road Trip" or something
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

just saw this movie. Two words....Holy
    You said it. I realy was in need to something like this to start the summer season. Great action movie.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 17, 2015 at 12:36 AM.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Pretty good movie. Best thing about it was the special effects. Character development left a lot to be desired.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I haven't seen it yet, should I be ashamed? Good God, it's got something like a 98% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Forrest Gump doesn't even have that.

Well it is an high-octane action movie. I wouldnt compare it to a Drama piece like Forrest Gump.

If you liked previous Mad Max movies specialy the first ones ( Road warrior), then this is a worthy sucessor. More then worthy me thinks.
    The film is insanely over-the-top, dangerously high-octane, adrenaline-fueled, testosterone-infused, balls-out, outrageous spectacle.

lol So far this one and Ex machina are the suprise movies of the year for me.
    Pretty good movie. Best thing about it was the special effects
    As in Old school real special effects, mixing with new modern camera techniques, they pretty much can film from everyplace imagined.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; May 17, 2015 at 08:18 AM.

I really enjoyed it. Every now and then you get a female that really does pull off the tough female lead; Sigourney Weaver in Alien franchise, Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2. Charlize joins the pack for sure.
    Last edited by Captain Jin; May 20, 2015 at 01:52 PM.

To truly understand the effect this movie has on the crazies, one must read The Hysterical Man Review.

This is a movie that says:
    Last edited by Gaidin; May 20, 2015 at 02:05 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Yah I don't really get all that nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Yah I don't really get all that nonsense.
    It's mocking the MRAs by turning their cause whining up to 11 and mixing in a bit of comedy.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    To truly understand the effect this movie has on the crazies, one must read The Hysterical Man Review.

This is a movie that says:
    Laughed my ass off, somehow I want to see the version he "envisioned" in his review.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

This movie was incredibly intense. Awesome movie.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Guys, Guys... Guys... I need to see this guys.

It's mocking the MRAs by turning their cause whining up to 11 and mixing in a bit of comedy.
    just like Anita Sarkeesian doesn't speak for all feminists, I don't think that guy is speaking for all mens rights advocates. Also sounds like one quote taken out of context to make a point. I loved the movie and I didn't see it as feminist at all, unless just having good written female character auotmatically makes it a "feminist" movie. Ironically the woman who helped write the script is the same woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues, and is a Persona non Grata among feminists.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    just like Anita Sarkeesian doesn't speak for all feminists, I don't think that guy is speaking for all mens rights advocates. Also sounds like one quote taken out of context to make a point. I loved the movie and I didn't see it as feminist at all, unless just having good written female character auotmatically makes it a "feminist" movie. Ironically the woman who helped write the script is the same woman who wrote the Vagina Monologues, and is a Persona non Grata among feminists.
    I'll let you think I really meant "feminist" instead of just posting a hilarious Hysterical Man review. Go play in your corner.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'll let you think I really meant "feminist" instead of just posting a hilarious Hysterical Man review. Go play in your corner.
    not even talking about the Hysterical man review. this one: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...oad-mras-anger
    Last edited by RedGuard; May 23, 2015 at 06:59 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

I could see why some feminists at least might like this movie. If not for the flight of the slave brides from their patriarchal oppressor and strong female characters (including biker grannies and Max arguably taking a secondary role to Furiosa), then they could at least see a feminist narrative by the ending of the flick. I'll discuss that in a spoiler:

Ultimately it is Max who convinces Furiosa to turn her female gang around and take the Citadel instead of riding aimlessly into the wilderness in search for another green patch of tillable earth. However, with the downfall of the leading villain, perhaps not so incidentally a patriarchal pater familias figure who controls the mode of procreation to produce warrior sons and even mechanic milking of slave mothers for beverages, it is Furiosa who takes charge and commands this wild post-apocalyptic society. Max, ever the loner, acknowledges her with a nod only to slip into the crowd and into obscurity on the open road. The last shot is basically Furiosa with her band of women (including the former brides) controlling the water supply and waterfall that sustains the masses. In essence, the matriarchy has replace the patriarchy, with the help of a couple of guys, one who commits suicide to block the enemy in a canyon and save the team, and another who decides to bow out and let the women rule. This is basically a feminist's wet dream come true.

Yet that's just one way to interpret it. Personally, and aside from the lack of character development overall, I thought the movie was awesome, balls out crazy, enjoyable to watch, and I wasn't hung up on the gender roles at all. People just happened to be male or female, and everyone was simply trying to survive. The latter was the only goal of Max, as he states from the beginning. He also lacked the personality and charisma to lead, unlike Furiosa who is fit for the job in the absence of the fallen despot. Yet despite all of that he was just as pivotal as Furiosa. They both saved each other at times, like when she caught him from falling from the rig, or when he donated his blood to her after opening her collapsing lung with a knife so she could breath. And like I said above, if it weren't for Max's suggestion that the group head back in the opposite direction, Furiosa would have never ruled over the Citadel.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

I'd say it's probably feminist, but it's not the most hardcore ball slicing feminist you sometimes see on the internet.

while it does decry the patriarchy and the ruling classes and social elite,iIt also shows that females are not some perfect specimin that would solve all their problems if they were in charge. Case in point the Many Mothers. When faced with survival or death, they became just as brutal and bloodthirsty as the male gangs. Max called it when they approached the electric tower with the naked lady in it. It was a trap. Anyone who approached would be murdered and have their stuff taken, no matter what their intent.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    I'd say it's probably feminist, but it's not the most hardcore ball slicing feminist you sometimes see on the internet.

while it does decry the patriarchy and the ruling classes and social elite,iIt also shows that females are not some perfect specimin that would solve all their problems if they were in charge. Case in point the Many Mothers. When faced with survival or death, they became just as brutal and bloodthirsty as the male gangs. Max called it when they approached the electric tower with the naked lady in it. It was a trap. Anyone who approached would be murdered and have their stuff taken, no matter what their intent.
    yeah I think its telling that they were using a woman as bait hoping to goad people into attempting to rape her. They probably would have killed and robbed anyone who came along, even if they had only wanted to help her. Similar to how Feminists think nowadays that all men want is to rape women and that all that keeps them in line is the government and harsh punishment.
    Last edited by RedGuard; May 25, 2015 at 01:34 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast