Thread: whats the best starting faction?

Default whats the best starting faction?

in terms of stating position power economy ect ect

Default Re: whats the best starting faction?

In the Empire, probably Averland.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Averland. Khorne is pretty good too. But Averland is a good bit easier.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Averland. Khorne is pretty good too. But Averland is a good bit easier.

thanks for the reply! but how should i generally prepare the the greensking and bestmen hordes early game like what should i build/train

Libertus

Create stacks with a one or two generals, 6-9 infantry units spreamen/swordsmen/halberdiers, 3-4 archers/handgunners and the rest mix in up some cavalry. In my oppinion Pistoliers are very good at dragging attention off their cavalry and you can kite them to death. Use your heavy cav to flank their infantry after they clash with your army and you wont have any problems at all. Focus on their generals first with cavalry since killing him will break your enemies morale drasticly.
    Once u develop some artillery you can switch some units out for them, but they are not so much effective. Rocket launchers however are super powerfull and they are a must have to stop those greenskin invasions effectively. Special units are warm welcome but they are not really nessesery to your army compositions. They are pretty decent at fighting other super units such as Trolls or Minotaurs.
    Once you fight those stronger stacks from invasion, focus first on their artillery and their wizard/mage units with your cavalry since they will cause most of the damage to you if left uncontested. Then snipe their general off with your cavalry and the victory will be yours without much of an issue.
    Last edited by Yogimanz; July 31, 2014 at 10:33 AM.

I have mortars in every city. Once I defended Averheim against two Orc stacks with a bunch of infantry and all mortars I could gather from the neighboring regions (6 or 7 units IIRC).

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by totalwalrus View Post
    thanks for the reply! but how should i generally prepare the the greensking and bestmen hordes early game like what should i build/train
    Spearmen, knights and as much artillery as possible are the three staples. Always keep the spearmen in shieldwall formation in combat. Knights are the most important, especially against beastmen.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

If you have enough artillery, defending at the town square instead of fighting for the gates and walls seems better. If they AI brought artillery they tend to destroy some parts of the wall before moving troops, instead of destroying the gates, which gives your robotower some time to shoot.
    If you have cavalry, leave them near the towers, and the rest of the army in the town square. If you can spare an infantry unit, leave it on some wall, so the AI will divide its army to attack them. This should buy you enough time for your mortars to kill lots of enemies.
    Position cannons in a way they can shoot enemies afar down the main roads, this way they can shoot over your own troops without hitting them.
    Despite the other artillery pieces being devastating, I usually only train cannons and mortars, because they are cheap.

foesto's Avatar Civis

I like Hochland, it's not to hard and with a decent economy, you dont really get invaded early game (some beastmen or goblins from time to time ofc)
    Your neighbours can help you since you're in the middle of the empire, but you should help them aswell, especially on the coastline (nordland?), since my AI companions seem to have a hard time beating some chaos and DE armies...

Those factions are quite strong however, chaos cav just destroyed mine... and they can't be beaten as easy as beastmen or orcs/goblins since i guess they have a better morale and just stronger units...

Oh well the trick is, save your game often, have some mobile forces, cav will win you all battles except against chaos,... you might want to use your superior firepower to deal with them...
    last but not least, if you have the money, use the mercs, they can be quite strong, and good against factions who would beat the early empire inf. (chaos... f*kking CHAOS all the time)

And as mentioned before, pistoliers are a great unit for killing/kiting stronger units like wizzards and chaos heavy cav, make sure you use them

Good luck!
    Last edited by foesto; August 03, 2014 at 06:39 AM.

this is the best mod i know just click at the sig...beregond ty 4 ur help

How about Border Princes? I've never tried them before so correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are quite easy as well. They don't get invaded a lot early on, have a good mix of units and also their main enemies are Orcs which they can handle well.

Border Princes are sort of boring, and when Grimgor invades it's nearly impossible to live.
    Because a few turns before that about 15 atleast for the ai they get invaded in 3 cities simultaneously and border princes units suck.

Wait Grimgor's invasion is towards Nuln right? I remember in my old Wissenland game I encountered the massive Orcs armies going towards Nuln and Averheim; not towards the Border Princes right?

Vette's Avatar Civis

Yes Border Princes are easy but economy is realy slow.You need to keap your eyes open for oportunity to grab few of the very rich citys/castles nearby.I personaly prefer Ostermark and M&M.Knights of White Wulf are best chargers in the game...
    Last edited by Vette; August 06, 2014 at 03:39 AM.

Vossie's Avatar Decanus

I'd suggest the Empire faction Reiksland.

It has a pretty stable economy. ( Specially if you got your merchants in the right places )
    Empire faction. ( Steel, faith and gunpowder! )
    Not that rough battles in the beginning. ( Sure some consider Beastmen or Greenskins a challenge but they're really not )
    You're surround by Allies. ( Just the occasional Beastmen or Orc horde will plunder through your lands. )

Border Princes have a weak economy and most of their units are meh-ish at best.
    Chaos have strong units, a decent economy but tough enemies. ( Everyone including each other.)
    Orks and Goblins have a weak economy, weak units and strong enemies.
    Sylvania has a tough starting position, weak economy but easily boosted with merchants. Weak units but no fear and no fatigue! ( Screaming Catapults are your friends )
    Kislev is a pretty balanced faction to play. Not to hard not to easy neither.
    Dwarves are fairly hard because of their empire being pretty divided, their expensive units and complete lack of cavalry.
    Elves are pretty hard as they have no economy and are a "Raiding" faction. Plunder and loot your enemies cities is key to survive.

The main reason I say Reiksguard is because I never played the other empire factions and well their starting position is very good.
    Last edited by Vossie; August 06, 2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Imperium Romanum

Yeah Reikland is one of the best, grab marienburg and enjoy ridiculously good economy. The emperor and later on valten both got the best general special ability (fatigue full restoration).

I usually try to make 2-3 half stacks of 2 knight units/mounted general/pistoliers to police the empire and easily destroy beastmen armies. Make sure the generals commanding these forces get movement boosting/casualty recovery ancillaries and dread if possible. Employ faction leader/heir to get extra manpower in the bodyguard as you will be using them, attach additional cavalry generals if you have them available.
    Against beastmen you wanna shoot minotaurs to death, then kill the general/bestigors and finally cause a mass rout combining cavalry charge+pistolier fire. Against Sylvania armies i just take down cavalry/ranged units/grave guard halberdiers then proceed to charge left and right. Orcs and goblins much of the same. Chaos khorne armies stand 0 chance to hurt you, tzeentch fields the most annoying daemons against this combo. Dark elves can be tough, you should use a normal army against them. Mages, hide most of your army behind a hill and use a single pistolier unit to get them if you can. Avoid melee until trolls/minotaurs/ogres/cavalry are all down.

Get as many rocket batteries as you can, they are the best artillery in open field battles (fire everything before the melee clash and forget about them). Hellblaster is tougher to use but just as fun when you get the enemy sallying out of a city (aim at the gate and bam, enemy army wiped out).

Indefinitely Banned

Easy - Averland,Reikland,Middenland,High Elves,Khorne,Slaanesh
    Medium - Nordland,Hochland,Talabecland,Stirland,Dark Elves,Nurgle,Tzeentch,Chaos Dwarves,Orcs,Border Princes,Dwarves
    Hard - Wissenland,Ostland,Ostermark,Night Goblins,Kislev

That would be the standard difficulty but it depends from each player's point of view.

For example,Kislev may look strong but its not for begginers,not too much income,pretty weak troops in early game and bad positioning,but its quite safe from Archaon's invasion which goes further south.Once the chaos stacks are gone you can go and grab their cities in the empire.

On the other hand,High Elves are quite simple,grab your units and take Marienburg as soon as possible.Then proceed in wiping out the Dark Elves,build your powerbase in Norsca while trying to take other cities,preferably not in the empire,not before chaos invasion.After that,youre free to take whatever you like.

If you play as Ostland you can win the game before chaos invasion but if you decide to play further you need quite some stacks.If you got many stacks the invading chaos tends to move to less defended territories,so make sure you keep your stacks in your starting regions,close to cities or in pairs or more(keep 4 stacks close to each other).