Thread: Building browser

Default Building browser

I notice a lot of buildings do not appear where expected in the building browser, and some that do do not show units they should show. For example, though all ports should be buildable at cities, I show the last two as buildable only at castles, and pike militia do not appear in the barracks building descriptions. I have heard that some things depend on events, so I checked the EDB, but the castle ports require the same events as the city ports. Why aren't they showing up?

Default Re: Building browser

Quote Originally Posted by rb9o View Post
    I notice a lot of buildings do not appear where expected in the building browser, and some that do do not show units they should show. For example, though all ports should be buildable at cities, I show the last two as buildable only at castles, and pike militia do not appear in the barracks building descriptions. I have heard that some things depend on events, so I checked the EDB, but the castle ports require the same events as the city ports. Why aren't they showing up?
    and pike militia do not appear in the barracks building descriptions. I have heard that some things depend on events
    This is an example of those things that depend on events
    Code:
    recruit_pool "Scots Pike Militia"  1   0.5   4  0  requires factions { scotland, } and event_counter FULL_PLATE_ARMOR 1
    but the castle ports require the same events as the city ports. Why aren't they showing up?
    No, they don't have the same requirements. City ports require SettlementType city. Castle ports require SettlementType castle

City port:
    Code:
    building port
    {
      convert_to castle_port
      levels port shipwright dockyard naval_drydock
      {
        port city requires factions { northern_european, moors, turks, egypt, kwarezm, mongols, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }
    Castle port:
    Code:
    building castle_port
    {
      convert_to port
      levels c_port c_shipwright c_dockyard c_naval_drydock
      {
        c_port castle requires factions { northern_european, moors, turks, kwarezm, egypt, mongols, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }

Yes, but that doesn't explain why I can't see the drydock in the building browser.

It's because of:
    Code:
    naval_drydock city requires factions { northern_european, moors, turks, kwarezm, egypt, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }  and event_counter CANNONS 1
    EDIT: In mod workshop is a guide to the export_descr_buildings.txt file. It may help you understand everything about building and unit availability and more
    Last edited by gsthoed; July 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM.

And this line is different how? Why does the cannon requirement make city drydocks invisible in the browser, but not castle drydocks? Other than city/castle, the EDB entries look exactly the same.

Code:
        c_naval_drydock castle requires factions { northern_european, moors, turks, kwarezm, egypt, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, }  and event_counter CANNONS 1

You can see castle drydocks in the "castle" column of the "castle" tab of the building browser of a city and city drydocks in the "castle" column of the "castle" tab of the building browser of a castle. But these tabs do not mean that if you convert a settlement to the other SettlementType you will get the availabilities described there; it is clear that these tabs are there for reference purposes only. It is the tab that corresponds to each settlement's current SettlementType that shows what is buildable and which units could be recruitable at that moment for every available SettlementType.

Except that you *can't* see the city drydock, at all, in either tab, which is the whole point of this thread. And in any case, most buildings that can be built in either settlement type do show up in both tabs, since both tabs actually have both columns. This is what allows you to compare the lists before doing a conversion.

Except that you *can't* see the city drydock, at all, in either tab, which is the whole point of this thread.
    Nope. i can see it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NavalDrydock.jpg  

Wait, I've got it figured out. I didn't understand your last post until I read it about three times. Nevermind. Thanks for the patience.
    Last edited by rb9o; July 31, 2014 at 05:57 PM.