Thread: Many Sounds Gone

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Default Many Sounds Gone

Hi all. I recently used the Sounds Extractor to deploy the DAT files and add a few songs into the TATWaC campaign.
    At first, the IDX/DAT files were not being rebuilt properly, probably because of a few sounds or dictionary references being changed and not updated... I took some time to fix all of the problems being shown on the log and finally I got everything rebuilt without errors BUT all of the interface/menu sounds have completely disappeared and mh... also a lot of battle sounds like units walking, marching and so on.

All I can notice is that Music.dat is much, much bigger (of course, I added a few MP3 and a whole new music_type to descr_sounds_music.txt). Voice.dat has almost the same size (maybe 1 or 2 Mb less), and the same goes for SFX.dat. The real problem is that events.dat is much, much, much, much smaller. Something like 2 Mb versus the old 6 Mb.
    Probably there are a few errors not being reported by the log that truncate the binary writing of events.dat.

Redeploying everything I noticed the following: in descr_sounds_generic.txt, a lot of entries don't have a corresponding physical sound file. For example:

Code:
    event Rocket_Launcher_Fire mindist 15 priority 240 minPitch .5 maxPitch 1.2 fadein 0 fadeout 2 Volume -10 rndvolume -20 probability 1 distancepriority 0 randomdelay 0 effect_level .25    folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Siege_Engines/Rocket_Launcher
        RL_fire_01
        RL_fire_02
        RL_fire_03
        RL_fire_04
        RL_fire_05
        RL_fire_06
        RL_fire_07
    end
    Those files don't exist in "data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Siege_Engines/Rocket_Launcher"... the folder itself doesn't exist... so I don't really know if it's a problem or if it's just because they are Vanilla files being extracted at loading time from the Vanilla packs or if this is a real error and I must recover them in order to fix those problems.

So my question basically is:
    1) How can I spot the error? Does a Sounds Validator exists somewhere in this forum?
    2) If those missing files are a real problem, how and where can I recover them?

I'm sooooo ing tired of those sound files...
    Last edited by Zarathos; July 29, 2014 at 06:12 PM.

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Many Sounds Gone

Basically, every vanilla entry in the sound text files is read from the vanilla .mp3 and .wav files, always! The only entries that are not read from the vanilla .mp3 and .wav files are those added with the mod, that means TATW or by you.

Which extractor have you used? If you used Vercingetorix' sound extractor, the sounds are generally exported into a duplicated directory structure, like that:
    modname\data\sounds\data\sounds\Voice
    while the structure should be:
    modname\data\sounds\voice

The same applies for SFX or music &. have you checked for that?

In addition, do you have all sound text files in your data folder? Of course, only those .mp3 and .wav files can be included in the rebuild of the .dat and .idx files that are mentioned in the sound text files, and if one or the other is missing, well.

With regards to your question:
    1) no.
    2) missing vanilla files are not a problem, of course in case of third age, you need to have the kingdoms campaings installed.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The Wiki entry describes the process in detail - the 'double' directory unpacking is mentioned as well.

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathos View Post
    Hi all. I recently used the Sounds Extractor to deploy the DAT files and add a few songs into the TATWaC campaign.
    At first, the IDX/DAT files were not being rebuilt properly, probably because of a few sounds or dictionary references being changed and not updated... I took some time to fix all of the problems being shown on the log and finally I got everything rebuilt without errors BUT all of the interface/menu sounds have completely disappeared and mh... also a lot of battle sounds like units walking, marching and so on.

All I can notice is that Music.dat is much, much bigger (of course, I added a few MP3 and a whole new music_type to descr_sounds_music.txt). Voice.dat has almost the same size (maybe 1 or 2 Mb less), and the same goes for SFX.dat. The real problem is that events.dat is much, much, much, much smaller. Something like 2 Mb versus the old 6 Mb.
    Probably there are a few errors not being reported by the log that truncate the binary writing of events.dat.

Redeploying everything I noticed the following: in descr_sounds_generic.txt, a lot of entries don't have a corresponding physical sound file. For example:

Code:
    event Rocket_Launcher_Fire mindist 15 priority 240 minPitch .5 maxPitch 1.2 fadein 0 fadeout 2 Volume -10 rndvolume -20 probability 1 distancepriority 0 randomdelay 0 effect_level .25    folder data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Siege_Engines/Rocket_Launcher
        RL_fire_01
        RL_fire_02
        RL_fire_03
        RL_fire_04
        RL_fire_05
        RL_fire_06
        RL_fire_07
    end
    Those files don't exist in "data/sounds/SFX/Individual/Siege_Engines/Rocket_Launcher"... the folder itself doesn't exist... so I don't really know if it's a problem or if it's just because they are Vanilla files being extracted at loading time from the Vanilla packs or if this is a real error and I must recover them in order to fix those problems.

So my question basically is:
    1) How can I spot the error? Does a Sounds Validator exists somewhere in this forum?
    2) If those missing files are a real problem, how and where can I recover them?

I'm sooooo ing tired of those sound files...
    I've gotten the very same issue, and this isn't the first time - the Events-file is much smaller and all the cannon-fire, units being hit, arrow-fire etc are gone.

In Hyrule Total War there shouldn't be any speaking or such, but they used to have sound when shooting and firing - this disappeared after i fixed the music in the mod. If i re-insert the old event-files the sound is returned, but then the music that plays are the old music for all the regions as well. And i've added music to every region instead of the same music playing everywhere.

I did get this very same issue in Warcraft Total War and WarcraftHero fixed it somehow. I do believe he placed the folders in the main Med2 directory that had all the files in the data-folder and also more voice etc folders. But, when attempting this i still get an event-file at 2000 something mb, instead of the older one at 6k. The music is still the same size because i didn't change the music tracks - i did only change the way they are used. The old event-file plays all sound of the game that should play, but would have the same music in all the regions.

So - i am out of ideas as to how to make the event-file re-created in the old size. Very annoying issue.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 15, 2019 at 07:57 AM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

A lot of times a mod contains sound dat\idx files that are not supported by the mod's sound txt files (if it has any). Which means if you unpack the sound files and then repack after some edit you end up with problems like yours.