Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reports from the front

Default Re: Reports from the front

That's some well-put advice, however speculative it may be! What exactly does dwarven-crafted armour mean mechanically, though? Tier three armour, or something even better?

Gold, baby. Gold!
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Civis

Thanks for the answer Count!

Happy to do it. Hopefully it will be at least somewhat consistent with the released version.

I think that most do not give the AI its due, its really not that bad and when manipulating the formations and unit stats it can be formidable especially when the terrain is in the AI's favor. I know I rarely( if ever) lose on the battlefield because subconsciously I avoid battles that after years of playing have taught me that I will probably lose if I engage. So it only "seems" like the AI sucks because I will not allow myself to fight in a battle that in all probability I'll lose. Soooo yeah that's all I got.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by the man, the myth, the legend View Post
    I think that most do not give the AI its due, its really not that bad and when manipulating the formations and unit stats it can be formidable especially when the terrain is in the AI's favor. I know I rarely( if ever) lose on the battlefield because subconsciously I avoid battles that after years of playing have taught me that I will probably lose if I engage. So it only "seems" like the AI sucks because I will not allow myself to fight in a battle that in all probability I'll lose. Soooo yeah that's all I got.
    This might sound funny, but I don't really fight battles that much in the various Total War games. I prefer building up my nation. Well, and having some battles once in a while. A good balance of both, you might say.

That was why I hated fighting Harad in TNS. It had innumerable stacks, each of which I had to destroy.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Well you could have just sent a stack to the bridge at the river Poros comprising of archers(longbows/ithilien rangers) and spear/sword defensive units and smash all their armies there, that's a decent strategy.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Predator View Post
    Well you could have just sent a stack to the bridge at the river Poros comprising of archers(longbows/ithilien rangers) and spear/sword defensive units and smash all their armies there, that's a decent strategy.
    Yes, but it was rather boring to do that every single turn.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Yes, it would be boring, but you'd end up with a monster-experienced army, and you would save the fair Ithilien from being swarmed with countless enemy stacks, so I belive that this is the only viable option to stand up to the monster-armies of Harad.

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Predator View Post
    Yes, it would be boring, but you'd end up with a monster-experienced army, and you would save the fair Ithilien from being swarmed with countless enemy stacks, so I belive that this is the only viable option to stand up to the monster-armies of Harad.
    Yeah, as the RK or Adunabar that´s the best strategy, with your superior forces you could do some real damage there at the crossing of the Poros. You also need to go on the offensive though, because eventually the stacks will just keep on coming and coming. Basically holding the Haradrim at bay at the crossing of the Poros and taking their coastal settlements one by one with naval invasions works best for me.

Good point. While there are some undeniable AI problems (its handling of and response to missile troops is the probably the most ubiquitous), we as players learn that there are situations where we are unlikely to win despite these problems, and we learn to avoid those situations.

As for the Poros defense against Harad, my guess is that this situation may be somewhat different in DoM. For one thing, Harondor's presence means it may take Harad a little while before it can get troops north. And Khand and Far Harad can keep it busy on the other side. Finally, Harad may opt for naval invasions given the new setup a bit more frequently than in TNS. So all of these conditions *may* mean the RK player could have time to get his troops together for some naval invasions of his own and shift the pressure away from that crossing.

^^ That's good to hear, and the time given to RK by the in-fighting between the various factions of the south means you have time to deal with Adunabar and set up your defence and plan your offensive far better than in TNS(the same for Adunabar against RK).

That's my thinking, yes. Of course, your mileage may vary, the mod is still in development, usual restrictions apply, offer void outside the tri-state area, etc. etc.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Nah, the AI does so many rather stupid things in one single battle...
    I mean, it's even unable to take a defensive stance on the battlefield when being attacked. If the forces are roughly equal and I expect to take some heavy losses, I just sit and wait for the AI to attack. And the AI will attack, even if I have chosen an advantageous position on the map.

I give you credit in only one point: Because of my army composition, my forces are usually superior to the AI's forces, and my army is more balanced. The AI on the other hand will continue throwing it's crap lowest tier soldiers (aka Footmen of Harad) at your elite 6 chevron units.

Fact is: There are no battles I cannot win, except if vastly outnumbered. Or sometimes my reinforcements being forced into battle, or running into an ambush, or unable to relief a not-so-well-garrisoned city from a besieging full stack.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Heh, I just had another loss today, this time while playing as Harad.

My opponent was Far Harad, my former ally who had betrayed me as soon as it was convenient for them to do so. So like any reasonable imperial power, I determined to wipe them off the map.

I was besieging one of their towns; our numbers were roughly equal. The main difference in army composition was that I had more foot troops (Swords of Harad), whereas the AI had more cav (Haradwaith Riders).

But another Far Harad army attacked me from behind in such a way that I was in the middle of both enemy forces, and about equidistant from each on the battle map. As I was making my dispositions, I had that sinking/wonderful feeling of, "Uh oh - I might not pull this off!" Nevertheless, the relieving army was significantly smaller, so I turned to destroy them first. After sending them all running, I brought my troops back to face the larger army from the settlement.

That's where things fell apart. My troops were tired and somewhat disorganized from fighting; his troops were fresh and aggressive. A powerful Far Harad bodyguard unit led the charge into my line of Swords along with his companies of light cavalry. My own cav consisted of only 2 units of Haradwaith Riders, who were quickly routed off the field by the enemy. My own general went down, and some of my infantry began to waver and break.

The AI infantry, however, was mostly inferior to my own. My Swords were cutting up their Footmen - and had it not been for the enemy horse, my battle line could have survived the death of my general. But the rest of the AI riders, having destroyed my cavalry, now crashed into the flanks of my tired and demoralized men. Cue rout.

Pretty good win for the AI, I think. They outnumbered me, but not by much - and I was so sure that my army could handle the fights in that region. I forgot that Haradrian infantry is pretty susceptible to even the light Haradrian cavalry, and didn't bring enough of the latter - or enough spearmen - to counter theirs.

If I had to do it over again, I might also have set up closer to the bigger army. I was probably not decisive enough, just sitting in the middle of the map and waiting for them to come to me. If I'd been right there as they deployed (they showed up as reinforcements), maybe I could have engaged their cavalry before they had time to form up and charge. Assuming that worked, it would have been an easy matter to beat the other, smaller AI force.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Gold, baby. Gold!
    wouldn't gold armor be too heavy and too soft for function use in armor?

Well, yes - I'm just referring to the UI symbol that appears on a unit card with the highest level of upgrade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12