Thread: level 3 town recruitment question

Default level 3 town recruitment question

I am at the latter stages of my first game back playing and something has come up that I can not figure out. I follow armies with what I would call garrison armies but sometimes I move these and recruit garrisons in the regions I conquer. When I upgraded some tech, I'm pretty sure it was cohort organization, I was able to recruit cavalry in some level 3 towns but not others. I hold all of Provincia and both the capitol and town is level 3. I can't recruit cavalry there. I go to Silesia and I CAN recruit both legionary cavalry and legionary cohorts. I jump over to Hercynia and it's no for both again. All three provinces have basically the same buildings, I've even saved and experimented but I can't figure out why I can recruit in some provinces but not others. At first I thought it was because it's a 2 city province, which was disproved. None of the provinces have a single military building so it's not that. I can't find any documentation in the online encyclopedia which would indicate it.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

I played this game when it originally came out, dropped it for a while and recently got back in. I play with one mod, Radious, and from Steam, other than that the game is clean. I can't test with current saves by shutting the mod off cause the game locks up on loading screen so it might be something to do with Radious but I can't tell.

This is not a game breaker just something that has been driving me nuts for hours now cause I can't figure it out. Now I am online instead of playing where I should be!

Please help me Obi-Wan (twc community), you're my only hope.

Primicerius

Default Re: level 3 town recruitment question

Recruitment is not specific to a town but to a province. So, if you have a legion barracks building in one region in a province, you can recruit all the troops offered by it anywhere in the province. If you move to another province where no region has a barracks building, you cannot recruit the troops types coming from barracks.

I suspect, that's the issue you're experiencing.

There is also the bit that one sometimes can recruit troops from barracks of conquered towns if the culture of the original owner is close to the one of the conqueror. This would not be an issue for Romans though since no culture in the game is considered 'close' to them.

it is different for Greeks (they can recruit troops from conquered barracks of other Greek nations) and barbarians (they often can cross-recruit from barracks of other barbarians even if they come from different culture group).
    Last edited by Slaists; July 29, 2014 at 09:27 AM.

If I wasn't clear, I have no military buildings in any of the provinces mentioned. Yet some can recruit legionary cavalry and some can't. I in fact have only built military buildings in a handful or provinces throughout my entire empire. Once at least one town in the province is upgraded to level 3 you can recruit far better units than the hastati and levies available from level 2 towns.

Praetorian_BGX's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasds View Post
    I play with one mod, Radious
    Maybe this?

Check his mod description. Not sure but maybe AOR units and reform changes? Some units will disappear from rooster after your research certain military tech?

Didn't played Radious mod, but DEI for example have a lot of AOR units and changes after reforms.

Also, check building descriptions. There are two different options: provide garrison and unlocks recruitment of.

Last edited by Praetorian_BGX; July 29, 2014 at 09:39 AM. Reason: picture added

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must
    ."
    -Thucydides

Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by tobiasds View Post
    If I wasn't clear, I have no military buildings in any of the provinces mentioned. Yet some can recruit legionary cavalry and some can't. I in fact have only built military buildings in a handful or provinces throughout my entire empire. Once at least one town in the province is upgraded to level 3 you can recruit far better units than the hastati and levies available from level 2 towns.
    Missed the part that you're playing a mod. You should discuss this in the appropriate mod section. What you are experiencing is not related to the vanilla game version.

One thing Radious does NOT change at all is the in game encyclopedia (that's actually a huge problem). It indicates that different units can be recruited when the town is upgraded. Or the garrison changes? It doesn't discuss the relationship with how your different tech is involved.

Is there a way for me to move this thread or should I cut paste the original elsewhere?

Praetorian_BGX, indeed it is all in the tooltips! While the encyclo doesn't change, the tool tips do. When slewing over all of the towns in game, I discovered that some allow recruitment of these advanced units and some don't.

Thank you to Prae and Slaists for giving this some time!