Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn OP elephants -_-

Icon8 Damn OP elephants -_-

ok I've been playing with the ghaznavids e/e and I've had a lot of trouble fighting the damned indians and their elephants, only two units of the routs my entire armies, is there a way to wipe them off without risking too much men or are all u guys having the darn same problem -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Default Re: Damn OP elephants -_-

I try to fight them only on sieges, but I mostly play Sindhi, so I'm not sure the Ghaznavids have a compatible rooster.

It is better sometimes to discover things for yourself. Play a few custom battles and try different types of units. Until then, not fighting them in open battles is an option.

Spare a thought also for the computer player, he gets occasionally some units that can spice up the game and which can give the human player a little bit of a hard time.

Javelins are the final solution to the elephant question... use mounted light javelin troops as infantry ones have a crippled throwing rate. Your mounted javelineers are elephant battlefield assassins

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    Javelins are the final solution to the elephant question... use mounted light javelin troops as infantry ones have a crippled throwing rate. Your mounted javelineers are elephant battlefield assassins
    thanks brother this really helped, I couldn't recruit much mounted javs but the javelin infantry was enough to make the old beast bite the dust. rep 4 ur great help
    Last edited by the persian Immortal; August 01, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis

urs was a good one too, but not very detailed. thnks anyways
    BOM to Kakabis

Another way of dealing with elephants if you don't have javelin units is to have a least an elephant unit in your army.For the Ghaznavids you should be able to recruit elephants from Multan or you can recruit mercenary elephants. Use you're elephants to engage enemy elephants in melee followed by the rest of your infantry and cavalry units, when elephants are fighting other elephants they get bogged down and can't run through your units and make them fall over,this way they take more hits .This tactic worked well for me, this is the way dealt with the Indian factions in my Ghazvanid campaign,but you have to fight almost all your battle on the map to use this tactic otherwise auto-resolved will still make you lose.

those mercenary elephants use javelins so they can be quite deadly to rival pachyderms... as long as they stay out of the melee ironically.

Quote Originally Posted by nein View Post
    those mercenary elephants use javelins so they can be quite deadly to rival pachyderms... as long as they stay out of the melee ironically.
    The thing is that enemy elephants won't stand and wait for you to deplete your javelins on them,they will charge even if they still have ammunition,The point in engaging them in melee is to bogged down enemy elephants,then to surround them with your infantry and cavalry especially lancers,they're the one that give the death blows,the enemy elephants will be dead before they even kill any of your elephants except when dealing with multiple elephant units, you'll get some loses as well but you will rarely loose an entire unit.

Exactly what kind of details did you need?

Fighting elephants with cavalry is always a bad idea due to the penalties horses get when fighting elephants and the bonuses elephants get when fighting horses.

I tested out the Omoro Riders javelin cavalry vs some unarmored elephants, and they worked quite well actually. Pretty much a slaughter really. I also tested javelin infantry and they just didnt throw fast enough to put enough casualties on them

Yes mounted javs are best for dealing with elephants, as you stated jav infantry have a wonky rate of fire that makes them unreliable.

Mounted Javelineers pretty much devastate any units with high armour, I use them especially for bodyguards
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

Indefinitely Banned

Any unit effective against armor.

Have you tried using a fodder unit to take the elephant charge? Or they just walk on your soldiers like Jesus on water?

If you can make them stop in a fodder troop you can attack them with units effective against armor in melee.If not,use javelins.

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Javelins or mounted Javelins are the best but also fire arrows are not bad if avaible.

Indians in BC had two problems....their normal units are not very effective on the battlefields only elephants work quite good but if they are alone they are easly destroyed. I think indians are a very tactical factions!

Jav cav works best, as mentioned...however, be warned, it appears that jav cav units run out of ammo a lot more easily in BC than in vanilla M2TW...i have yet to come across a jav cav unit here as good as M2TW's jinetes or polish nobles...plus, the large unit sizes might make it harder for such units to manoeuvre....

I found indian javelinmen and longbowmen the most cost-effective against elephants on my Ghaznavid campaign, also relatively easy to replenish as they are aor units and available as mercenaries.

what's a fodder unit!?!?!? :|
    BOM to Kakabis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast