Thread: Steam has ruined the mod for me

Default Steam has ruined the mod for me

Ok, so I've been playing TATW with MOS 1.6.2 for about a month now, I've been loving it (really appreciate it, those who made it).

Well there was recently, just last week, some steam update that made kingdoms into a DLC, rather than an explanation with its own executable file. (Why are they even messing around with a game thats 10 years old?)

I had to change the files a bit to continue to be able to play mods. There are some threads you can look at on the stainless steel forum concerning this.

Basically, now I have to be signed in to steam to play mods. I can't just click on the launcher like I used to be able to do, I've got to sign into steam.

Whatever they've done, it's caused my TATW to lag profoundly, especially on the campaign map. Moving a spy through shrouded territory literally can take up to 30 full seconds, while turn times have gone up to about 4-5 minutes. The mod has nearly been rendered unplayable.

Does anyone have any advice here, things that could fix this for me, or insight into why steams stupid update has up the mods performance?

Keep in mind, it was running clean and smooth before this whole mess. No such issues ever arose.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; July 29, 2014 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Steam has ruined the mod for me

*Where it says "explanation", I meant to write "expansion"

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Wow, just changing the thing in notepad made it go faster again. Excuse my melodrama then, hehe, and thanks.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Glad it got solved

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

so how did you fix the lag issue just rename the file to one of the camp ?

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

I believe this is what is being referenced:
    1. Locate your TATW folder, the path should look something like "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3"
    2. Open the batch file "Third Age".bat with Notepad
    3. Change this line "start kingdoms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg" to "start medieval2.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg"
    4. Save and exit Notepad
    5. Start TATW

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Wolf View Post
    I believe this is what is being referenced:
    This worked for me, but I get a CTD when loading a campaign, and I hear the Americas menu music instead of the Third Age music. I used to have my Third Age folder named "americas" so I could play it through that. Any ideas?

Petite Wolf's Avatar Semisalis

None. I've been installing all my Kingdoms mods via the Kingdoms launcher app for a very long time before these recent Steam changes, so I've got no ideas. Mine's been completely fine since this Steam stuff.