Thread: The Legacy of Roma Surrectum II - Authentic Ancient World v0.05 Released

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Default The Legacy of Roma Surrectum II - Authentic Ancient World v0.05 Released

Hello my friends,

As some of you guys may already know I am working on Authentic Ancient World aiming to preserve and carry forward the legacy of Roma Surrectum II into the new engine (which did disappoint us a bit in the beginning, no doubt). Somehow I found out that people feel that it is an unusual project, why port an old game into a new engine and not just make something new? Well, good for me that I am doing the modification for myself and for preserving and carrying forward my precious Roma Surrectum experience which I even today prefer of playing (instead of Rome II... yet?)

Anyways long story short meaning. I just finished the UI preview and was able to re-use the Roma Surrectum faction icon frames. Thanks dvk901, tone, Tzar and Brusilov

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In the words from the editor section I did also provide some big thanks for the RSII crew. I am not sure how many members of the initial crew visit this forum regularly, but maybe you are interested to sneak a peek.

PS: If anyone wants to help us porting RSII content into the new engine, you are more than welcome to help us out. Currently we are working on another preview, the RSII music modification for Rome II Next will be the map, a graphics mod and than the Roman roster. We are going exactly the path of RSII and focusing on its strengths from back than. Good for us that CA is opening modding limitations step by step. Hopefully Roma Surrectum will be there for another decade to bring us the best experience and representation of the ancient world (ideally on both engines).

Cheers!
    Last edited by Hetairos; August 03, 2014 at 06:37 AM.

Default Re: The Legacy of Roma Surrectum II

This looks like a good mod start keep it up.
    Faction researcher for Bithynia, Armenia & Caucases

Awesome! Following. Roma Surrectum has always been my love, and it will always be.

God bless you, mate.
    Marcus Claudius Aurelius

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

gonna follow it for now alec,and when R2 is fully patched i gonna try it out.
    previews look good and it's a good thing that you have aztec in your team
    i really liked his lighting mod when i played R2+rep
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Thanks for the kind words. I am also going to follow the development of Roma Surrectum II closely as well. Feel free to post any news or awesome screens from RSII into our forum or Gallery thread. I would like to keep relations close if that is possible.

PS: Rome II will soon be able to be played with RSII music which will be our second implementation of RSII content into the Rome II engine. By the way, this was made possible by apple, Arn, Elendil, Garv and Marios. I can't thank you enough guys. This was a very generous gesture and I am very happy to be able to listen to the awesome music in Rome II soon.
    Last edited by Hetairos; July 27, 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Indefinitely Banned

keep up the great work mate, definitely gonna check AAW

Thank you sir!

Everyone who wants to post their Roma Surrectum Screenshots into our forum, please feel free to do so!

This is our gallery for AAW/RSII screenshots (and any other artwork linked to antiquity): http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-Screenshots

We also launched our Steam group, collections and mod releases: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/aut..._ancient_world

Let's revive RSII for RII and show CA what game we wanted at the first place

fableofsea's Avatar Civis

Did CA release the ability to fully mod the game? I haven't kept up with RII's information for about three months now.
    Party hard and pillage!

Off to the AAW site........
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by fableofsea View Post
    Did CA release the ability to fully mod the game? I haven't kept up with RII's information for about three months now.
    Hi mate,

No they did not, but:

If you compare the release to what it is now we made some milestones: Music Modding, Scripting, Accumulated Rome II Modding Knowledge and a game that came out of Beta To be honest things are much different now.

If we compare to Rome: Total War modding we are still far away: --> UI Modding, Unlimited Buildings & Traits, Map Modding and some other stuff.

But now assuming the Rome II expansions will add politics, diplomacy, family tree, assuming an unlock of buildings & traits and the release of the TEd mapping tools (battle and campaign editing) we might be able to port RSII in its entire scope into Rome II. The only remaining problem will be that we are not sure if we will ever get a population system (which is crucial to me, CA???) and if that freaking ugly UI will ever be fixed.

tungri_centurio and ur-Lord Tedric, you guys are my heroes! I've always appreciated your contribution in this forum a lot, but now to be honored with your advice in our forum, thats simply unbelievable awesome. Many thanks guys!

The RSII community was always and is still unbelievable!

thanks for the kind words, modders are my heroes so im glad i can help out a bit...
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

On a side note, the RSII music mod for Rome II is out by now: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=294417870

Brought to you guys by dvk, tone and all the awesome composers out there (apple, arn, elendil, marios and many many more)!

Thank you also - for Rome 2 the issue for me will always be the bloomin' awful, rather arcady Battle AI - and I'm not sure that will ever be fixed........

I'm fairly well read on a good deal of, particularly Roman, ancient military history - and I certainly didn't notice any Gandalf-type figures present in battles wielding their magic either......
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Believe me we will do some awesome stuff on the battles (active and passive abilities can be adjusted, tweaked or modded away awesomely well). The new AI changes with Patch 14 are a huge step forward. We will also adjust battle balancing in an authentic and special way (this adds a great deal to the feeling of simulation vs arcade AI, generals will have a different role on the battlefield than they do now... etc. etc.

There are 4 major problems and one minor problem with rome 2 right now on the battlefield that remain:
    - Formations (they mostly suck and are not scalable)
    - [Minor]Height Differences (no effect on range of missile units, adds only a damage bonus for the higher stationed unit)
    - Blobbing (why? why did they not attempt to fix this so obvious major issue?)
    - AI not able to present a cohesive battle line (to be fair as far as I know this was introduced with the Expansion ALX for RTW, so I think 1 or 2 expansions we might see some improvements there)
    - Pathfinding (god knows what they messed up here... pathfinding causes some pretty solid lag, hope they work on that pretty obvious thing in the future)

Version 0.05 is released and the front page announcement is up (featuring RSII appreciations)! Check it out.

The front page announcement of the Authentic Ancient World: Art Package is up.

I would like to take the chance to invite everybody to support us by inviting your Total War Steam friends into our Steam group and by testing and rating our art packs.

Many thanks for the contribution!
    Last edited by Hetairos; August 03, 2014 at 06:27 AM.

Default Re: The Legacy of Roma Surrectum II - Authentic Ancient World v0.05 Released

congrats on the front page announcement

Default Re: The Legacy of Roma Surrectum II - Authentic Ancient World v0.05 Released

Beautiful man..

Keep on modding,..
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Great work Hetairos.....and I much appreciate your 'appreciation' for RS2 and all of the work that went into it, and is still being done on it, even if only by myself right now. Good to see that the RS2 'spirit' will live on in R2....I do hope though, that CA will open that engine up and make it more worthwhile modding it.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thanks a lot! I really enjoy RSII and am glad I have met you guys and be able to mod AAW in a RSII fashion. I really hope CA will make it more worthwhile as well and that we might add content on the current shallow campaign play and enjoy it to the yet awesome graphics and battles.

To everyone: Help us Authentic Ancient World and Roma Surrectum II on the 1st Annual Mod Awards. How can you help? NOW: Suggest or nominate us (AAW and RSII) for the awards. Next Week: Vote for the nominees.

Read this!: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ual-Mod-Awards