Thread: Anyone play the Game of Thrones mod for CK2?

Default Anyone play the Game of Thrones mod for CK2?

Anybody?

It's pretty fun.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Anyone play the Game of Thrones mod for CK2?

Yeah, not as fun as Lux Invicta though.

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

GoT gets boring quickly for me after the novelty of completely ruining the story wears off. I guess it's just the different mechanics (little room for holy war or quickly expanding your realm) that make it seem so slow paced. Likewise, I disliked the gameplay changes of LI despite it having a unique and interesting alternate history.

I did really like HIP when I tried it pre Rajas so I should download that again sometime. I really didn't like SWMH, though. My preferred HIP was all modules -SWMH.
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Nope. I believe/My opinion is that Game of Thrones is not interesting at all so why would mod of it?
    Last edited by Mithridates VI; August 03, 2014 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Try to make it more look like personal opinion
    Eupator Dionysius

Stavros_Kalmpou's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI View Post
    Nope. Game of Thrones is not interesting at all so why would mod of it?
    Burn the heretic!!!
    I can not find the reason GoT is not interesting at all. It has incest, attempted child murder, more incest, rape, beheading, more incest, just in the first episode. Also, it is more interesting than other series. A lot of characters we loved died ( we will never forget you) and a lot of characters we hate survived (except for one bastard born of incest). Tell me one reason it is not interesting....( considering it also has b**bs in almost every episode)
    For the Sake of Love
    Aristeia Total War AAR as the Trojans. Join in and watch as the Greatest war in history of man begins, a war For the Sake of Love

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Yep, that's why it's one of the top television series in the world at the moment and one of the best selling book series of all time, not interesting at all. Obvious trolling is obvious.

I used to play the mod, I sort of lost interest in it after they added Essos and changed dragons to characters instead of traits. The mod became buggy and it just took the enjoyment out of it somehow. I plan to go back to it at some point but at the moment I prefer vanilla with mini-mods or HIP.

stavrosole: Those things you listed aren't things in my list of things that make series interesting to watch.

ccllnply: I think that telling my own opinion isn't trolling (of course I may remember wrong). Maybe you don't share my opinion but I don't mind.
    Eupator Dionysius

my own opinion
    this is not a expression of personal opinion but a statement of absolute fact. while anyone is free to like or dislike what they so wish, there is nothing here to suggest it is personal opinion.

the world is flat
    or
    i believe the world is flat

see the diference?!

as for the OP. i did play GOT in early stages, before they added other continents.
    i had a great time until i gained the Iron Throne, then there were nothing more to do but put down rebelions. might be more to do now though.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

ccllnply: I think that telling my own opinion isn't trolling (of course I may remember wrong). Maybe you don't share my opinion but I don't mind.
    While that may be your opinion saying "Game of Throne is not interesting at all" is not how you state an opinion, it's how you state a fact. And that's without mentioning the rest of the sentence which was "so why would mod of it?". As if to say why would anyone make a mod of something which, in fact, is not interesting at all. Posting that about a story which is loved by million in a thread where someone is asking about it because they think it's fun is just trying to get a rise out of someone.

Please don't insult my own and everyone else's (absinthia has shown) by trying to make out that I just randomly attacked you for simply posting your opinion. Thanks.

as for the OP. i did play GOT in early stages, before they added other continents.
    i had a great time until i gained the Iron Throne, then there were nothing more to do but put down rebelions. might be more to do now though.
    It's definitely not a mod for those who like to do loads of conquering and as a result there's not to do when you do reach the peak. You really have to role-play to get full enjoyment out of it so that's why the earlier versions of the mod where perfect for me and basically all I played. Now for some reason, I just lose interest very quick. Maybe it's because I haven't read GoT in so long and I've read so many other books like it since, maybe it's because it became pretty buggy after Rajas was released or maybe it's just because with the introduction of Essos, I feel almost like Westeros has taken a back seat. I'm not really sure to be honest.

Ok. I meant to say that in my opinion it isn't interesting and maybe I first wrote it wrong and I'm sorry about that. I wasn't aware that it can interpret that way.
    And ccllnply I didn't try to insult you any way. I wasn't first sure what you meant about your comment and that's why I say againt that I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm. I wanted only to answer the post and give reasons why.
    Eupator Dionysius

Ok. I meant to say that in my opinion it isn't interesting and maybe I first wrote it wrong and I'm sorry about that. I wasn't aware that it can interpret that way.
    And ccllnply I didn't try to insult you any way. I wasn't first sure what you meant about your comment and that's why I say againt that I'm sorry. I didn't mean any harm. I wanted only to answer the post and give reasons why.
    No problem man. Credit to you for taking it so well.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Concerning the topic, I did play it and had quite some fun (Rob Stark's 1y old son imprisoned, tortured, eyes plocked out and castrated, OMG, you sick game), but there two issues for me.

The first is a problem for many fiction adaptations, that when the characters you know, who inspires you to start a campaign, dies off interest is easily lost. To often the feeling goes from "Haha! I'm Tywin, I'll scheme and fight to control all Westeros. Hear me roar!" to "Hmm, I'm the grand grandchild 'Something' Lannister, fighting people I never heard of, so who cares?"

Secondly, unless I play an old version and this later been handled, the fact that the White Walkers do not appear and invade at end utterly remove the urgency that inspire me to play the campaigns that take place during the book & tv series (such ones that begin earlier is fair enough from a straight 'normal, historical' perspective). Fine it would be very troublesome if you play a little lord, but to know that Winter Is Coming and that I had to unite the realm to face it inspired me, only to realise I had been misinformed and it would just go on and on

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

I've actually played the mod multiple times, so I suppose I might blather on for a bit.

Pros:
    First of all, the mod is very well-made. It is obvious there has been some effort put to it and lots of attention was paid to detail.

It is a damned Game of Thrones mod. And a high quality one at that!

Cons:
    The music. I just don't like it at all. Very monotonous, little variation and at times too loud. I usually mute it and put the soundtrack of the TV series in another window.

There are very few bookmarks that are worth playing. And most of them are those near the timeframe of the books. Now, why is that? It is because Martin's worldbuilding has for the most part been fairly lacklustre, and the characters are what most remember from the books. It is not that interesting to play as a random Stark, but is interesting to play as Eddard.

The maintenance of the status quo. The world never seems to change. No matter how many years pass, most things are still the same. At most the family in charge of a place will, but not much else. Remember in vanilla when you saw kingdoms fall down and others taking their place and all that? None of that happens in the AGoT mod. Which s a bit of shame, since at some point you just lose interest in a long-term playthrough.

In any case, still better than that awful Middle-earth mod for this game.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    In any case, still better than that awful Middle-earth mod for this game.
    That's quite harsh for something which is entirely voluntarily made, don't you think?

The first is a problem for many fiction adaptations, that when the characters you know, who inspires you to start a campaign, dies off interest is easily lost. To often the feeling goes from "Haha! I'm Tywin, I'll scheme and fight to control all Westeros. Hear me roar!" to "Hmm, I'm the grand grandchild 'Something' Lannister, fighting people I never heard of, so who cares?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post

I actually found that to be the most enjoyable part of the mod. With the book characters it was often like you had to play a certain way. Now I like to role-play so this wasn't really a problem but since there was no white walkers and the AI can often be very stupid playing as characters from the book usually bored me. Even the randomness of what type of character you would get was more enjoyable for me than playing as the same old book characters and doing the same old times. The earlier bookmarks were enjoyable because of this too.

Secondly, unless I play an old version and this later been handled, the fact that the White Walkers do not appear and invade at end utterly remove the urgency that inspire me to play the campaigns that take place during the book & tv series (such ones that begin earlier is fair enough from a straight 'normal, historical' perspective). Fine it would be very troublesome if you play a little lord, but to know that Winter Is Coming and that I had to unite the realm to face it inspired me, only to realise I had been misinformed and it would just go on and on
    As I said, this got me a few times as well. It was all well and good winning the War of the Five Kings with Stannis but then that was it and you just felt, after reading the books, that it was a little too simple. That's why I preferred earlier bookmarks, playing as smaller lords or just observing the game till I can pick up the game as non-canon characters and make my own stories.
    Last edited by ccllnply; August 19, 2014 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    That's quite harsh for something which is entirely voluntarily made, don't you think?
    Maybe. But a work made voluntarily can still be awful, or judged as such, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Maybe. But a work made voluntarily can still be awful, or judged as such, don't you think?
    Well since someone is giving up their time and using their skill to make something, hoping to contribute to the enjoyment of others, I would think that we own it to them to be a little more constructive and not randomly bad mouth their work when it's not even the main topic of discussion.

I mean, I see you're a fan of FA:TW. I'm a huge fan too but let's say I was and just wrote that FA:TW was terrible in a thread about Roma Secturum. Hardly seems fair does it? Imagine if the guys who made FA:TW saw it, what would it do to their motivation?

I actually think the Middle-earth mod is pretty impressive. Some seriously good work has gone in to it and the idea of, for instance, leading the House of Eorl is being appealing. The problem is that CK2 is just not suited to the world of Middle-earth. Things like The War of the Ring, The Fellowship of the Ring, Sauron and others would really need a different game to be portrayed properly. While I agree it's probably not up to the standard of AGOT, that's simply because CK2 is perfectly suited to the universe of AGOT.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel I'm taking on the role of keyboard warrior in this thread so I should probably stop.

Quote Originally Posted by ccllnply View Post
    Well since someone is giving up their time and using their skill to make something, hoping to contribute to the enjoyment of others, I would think that we own it to them to be a little more constructive and not randomly bad mouth their work when it's not even the main topic of discussion.
    Well, I don't think that is the subject of this thread. If there was thread about it, I would blather on with my problems, but I don't want to make this veer off-topic more than I have already.

I mean, I see you're a fan of FA:TW. I'm a huge fan too but let's say I was and just wrote that FA:TW was terrible in a thread about Roma Secturum. Hardly seems fair does it? Imagine if the guys who made FA:TW saw it, what would it do to their motivation?
    Maybe one is actually seeing it right now

I actually think the Middle-earth mod is pretty impressive. Some seriously good work has gone in to it and the idea of, for instance, leading the House of Eorl is being appealing. The problem is that CK2 is just not suited to the world of Middle-earth. Things like The War of the Ring, The Fellowship of the Ring, Sauron and others would really need a different game to be portrayed properly. While I agree it's probably not up to the standard of AGOT, that's simply because CK2 is perfectly suited to the universe of AGOT.
    I believe my opinions are mostly caused by the the bookmark they chose which was abysmal. The War of the Ring really doesn't fit with CK2. It has to be heavily scripted, and that is about as fun as walking through a field of bear traps barefoot. They had so many things to choose from and they chose the bloody War of the Ring. There have been other questionable choices and if you want to, I could continue this through PMs or something, as I don't want to take this thread even more off-topic.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel I'm taking on the role of keyboard warrior in this thread so I should probably stop.
    Everyone has done that at some point.

pchalk's Avatar Domesticus

just recently reinstalled it after a long time. I love the game. I remember the early days of the mod, its just amazing how far and how detailed it has become