Thread: RTW v1.51 Steam - Crashing to Desktop at campaign start

Default RTW v1.51 Steam - Crashing to Desktop at campaign start

Hello!

I downloaded RTW off of steam a few months back (I had lost my original game cds), played through a vanilla campaign and then decided to check out RS1 before moving on to RS2. I got the mod downloaded and installed and was having a great time playing through an Imperial Roman campaign (you all did a fantastic job btw!!!). Earlier this week, steam updated the game from v1.5 to v1.51. The update overwrote most of the modded files, so I reinstalled RTW clean (uninstalled and deleted the entire Rome total war gold directory). Upon reinstall vanilla (v1.51) worked fine (including a couple of save files). Then I reinstalled RS1 (up to v1.6a like before). However, it CTDs whenever I try to start a new Imperial campaign (Roman and others). I've completely uninstalled RTW and steam and reinstalled them back again, including RS1, but no luck. The historical battles and custom battles still work, but the interface has some broken artifacts in it (but nothing making it unplayable).

On a side note, when I was playing through RS1 prior to the 1.51 update, I was starting the game through the Steam interface (I completely missed the shortcut on my desktop; it's a little messy). Currently, if I use the RS1 shortcut to play, both the Imperial and Provincial campaign CTD at the start of a campaign (I can select which faction but then it crashes right at the end of the loading screen; it never makes it to the campaign map); if I go through steam, only the Imperial campaign CTDs (same spot, at the end of the loading screen), however, the provincial campaign will start (sometimes), but the UI is busted; the main interface at the bottom is below the screen; the event icons are blank, the city statuses have the carthaginian symbol for income and gaulic symbol for population, among other things.

I don't know if the 1.51 update is the culprit or not; like I said it was working just fine before that, but apparently its just an update for multiplayer servers so I'm not sure why it would create a problem. I'm using a Vista machine, and I installed with my UACs turned off. I'm using the 1 turn selection and no others.

I'll probably go back to a clean install and try RS2, but I did pull my save files before my initial uninstall and would love to go back to my RS1 game if I had the chance.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks everyone for adding so much more life to the various TW games!!!

Default Re: RTW v1.51 Steam - Crashing to Desktop at campaign start

It looks like 1.51 just might be the the culprit.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-steam-servers

Default Re: RTW v1.51 Steam - Crashing to Desktop at campaign start

I use RTW - Alexander for mod.