Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: War of the Roses Proposal and Discussion Thread

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

Default Re: War of the Roses Proposal and Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Celsius View Post
    I say 1,000 per province. Even that may be a bit much though considering average WotR battles had aroud 5k on each side, give or take.
    Battles got massive. The biggest one involved armies of 30,000 clashing against one another. I also just recently read that Lord Devon marched with 43,000 troops from the Welsh marches to support Edward IV against a rebel army of 60,000.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Would it be possible for me to play as Thomas Fauconberg? My second option is John Talbot, the third earl of Shrewsbury
    Yeah either or is fine. You could be both really.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

On second thought, I will be up in northern Wales rather than southern.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Battles got massive. The biggest one involved armies of 30,000 clashing against one another. I also just recently read that Lord Devon marched with 43,000 troops from the Welsh marches to support Edward IV against a rebel army of 60,000.
    The bigger the better then!

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

Question, since i'm a flemish general (siding with house of york) starting somewhere in Burgundy/Flanders i have to capture Calais from the lancastrians to use it as an important base. For that i need to hire troops, so if i recruit flemish/burgundian troops with some french mercenaries (if there are french available as mercenaries in calais region ofc), would that lower my diplomatic relations if i used french troops? (french people were disliked in England due to hunder years war)
    Veritas Temporis Filia

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    Would this exiled Earl be a Yorkist supporter then?
    Yes. Before the exile he was the Earl of Westmorland, so he always had close ties to York, even though he would be closely related to the Kingmaker.

EDIT: I can also be a moderator if needed.
    Last edited by Jokern; July 28, 2014 at 04:19 PM.

I'm a bit confused (perhaps I didn't read everything). Will all the traditional houses be placed to play their part, or will be some be replaced or sided with made-up houses?

Personally I am looking to play a powerful or influential female. She can be either a lady in her own right or a queen/princess/relative. But playing as a female, I want something to do. Something to aim for, so she has to be well-placed.

Both York and Lancaster have their charm, I don't really have a favourite side. The part I am able to play is more interesting for me.

I have few suggestions for you:
    -Margaret of Anjou, the Queen of Henry VI (likely me!): dominant, powerful, redoubtable, leading his husbands' armies and ruling on his name.
    -Margaret Beaufort, daughter of the powerful Beaufort, dukes of Somerset, with Plantagenet blood. Strong willed. She has a child, Henry Tudor.
    -Elisabeth Woodville, the (in our game) widow of Edward IV of York, mother of his children. Icy cold beauty, politically ambitious.

If you don't want the burden of kingship I suggest you the second or maybe the third, nor the first whose role will be heavily political and military. But you'd be welcomed as all of them.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    Question, since i'm a flemish general (siding with house of york) starting somewhere in Burgundy/Flanders i have to capture Calais from the lancastrians to use it as an important base. For that i need to hire troops, so if i recruit flemish/burgundian troops with some french mercenaries (if there are french available as mercenaries in calais region ofc), would that lower my diplomatic relations if i used french troops? (french people were disliked in England due to hunder years war)
    French troops were offered to the Lancastrian cause numerous times, thanks to Margaret of Anjou, whose cousin was the King of France. They were usually involved with the Lancastrian cause, never the Yorkist due to Edward IV's pro-Burgundian attitude. I would recommend staying with Flemish and Burgundian troops, since they will either be granted to you by the Duke of Burgundy or you will be granted a starting purse to use to hire troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandrine View Post
    I'm a bit confused (perhaps I didn't read everything). Will all the traditional houses be placed to play their part, or will be some be replaced or sided with made-up houses?
    Historical houses can exist and can also be replaced by made-up houses. Its up to players. We ask people to be more alternative, but we won't demote the usage of historical figures and names.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 28, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

I don't want to be nick-picky but she is Louis XI first cousin, as her aunt is Marie of Anjou wife to Charles VII. But yes, France supported the Lancaster. In these times the conflict France-Burgundy was... intense, Burgundian priest wouldn't even give absolution to French dying men!

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Citizen

Just a note, a lot of the rules aren't filled in, I know, but thats because Oz and I are discussing a lot about what this rp needs and how it will work. A lot of our rules will be from GoT and will be modified ones to serve this setting. People like Xion have been helping by presenting ideas. So even if you have a basic concept for a mechanic or rule that can be added, it will still help out a lot in the long run.

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

I shall claim a Scottish nobleman coming south to support the House of Lancaster from the north!

If the Yorkists become too out-gunned, then I can probably change sides if needs be.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Although both my characters are historically Lancastrians, I wouldn't mind changing sides

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    I shall claim a Scottish nobleman coming south to support the House of Lancaster from the north!

If the Yorkists become too out-gunned, then I can probably change sides if needs be.
    I can let this happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkerton View Post
    Although both my characters are historically Lancastrians, I wouldn't mind changing sides
    If there is one thing about this roleplay, its alright to change sides. But not to the point where say...10 people support one side, but only 2 support another. If you plan to switch sides, make sure you have a good reason as to why. That's all I ask for.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 28, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Zectorman's Avatar Primicerius

What about Richard III
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgxBxU9wSP8

Ferdinand Von Terl, he knew how to RP before you could even Speak your name!

Citizen

I mean yeah, he can be around. It is up to the players after all.

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

By the way, I am sure Edicts were known as Decrees at the time, rest of the rules are cool. Put me down as Lancaster faction.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    By the way, I am sure Edicts were known as Decrees at the time, rest of the rules are cool. Put me down as Lancaster faction.
    Its just the name of the mechanic which is used for GoT.

Also Edicts were still used back during this time. Examples would be the Edict of Worms which happened in 1521, Edict of Saint-Germain in 1562, and Edict of Nantes in 1598. Plus Edicts and Decrees are two different things; Edict was an announcement of a law (usually associated with monarchism) while Decree was the force of law, both of which were issued by heads of state. So I don't think it really matters if it called Edict or Decree.

And will put you down for Lancasters.
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; July 29, 2014 at 01:08 AM.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I really have my heart set on playing a powerful clergyman, but If i must join the nobility perhaps I shall be George Neville the Duke of Bedford (Yorkist)

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    I really have my heart set on playing a powerful clergyman, but If i must join the nobility perhaps I shall be George Neville the Duke of Bedford (Yorkist)
    Well I plan to get the rest of the rules first, but I believe we may be able to find some means to bring in the clergy. Best example is Warwick's brother, George Neville, Archbishop of York. I will put you down anyways for Yorkist.

Be aware, a couple other people wanna be Nevilles, so you had best talk to them.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast