Thread: A LotRTW Mod Mod

Default A LotRTW Mod Mod

A way to bring the otherwise unused (in the campaign) faction of Numenor into a campaign game, maybe while introducing an interesting new campaign mechanic?

I'd thought about doing something like this a while ago but I don't really have the time to go about putting it together.

What I figured was a sort of alternate history of the War or the Ring where Aragorn's big gamble at the end of The Return of the King fails. Frodo and Sam never make it to Mt. Doom, Gollum disappears with the Ring and Aragorn's army at the Black Gate is largely annihilated.

The Numenorian faction could be introduced as a coalition of the various descendents, rangers, and their allies who had been hiding away in the Northlands with a sizeable armoury made up mostly of ancient family heirlooms still in relatively good condition due both to the care with which they had been kept and the fine quality of initial manufacture. After hearing of the break-up of the fellowship and the desperate fights at Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, a Council of Rangers was assembled and they decided that, should the Fellowship fail, the last hope for Middle Earth would be the rebuilding of a Numenorian army.

Factions:
    Numenor: Led by Aragorn, injured at the battle of the Black Gates but secreted away by a small group of rangers hidden among his troops. Numenor starts far in the North with only 2-3 (former free peoples) settlements with Aragorn as the only family member. The Numenor faction can only recruit small and basic militia units at settlements and otherwise relies on (relatively few) scripted events to gain powerful elven and numenorian units.

I thought this would be an interesting mechanic to introduce. The Numenor faction would be almost over-powered on an individual unit vs. unit basis but the #s of soldiers in the main armies would almost always be shrinking and cannot be replaced.

Gondor: Led by Faramir, the faction is under siege on both East and West right from the campaign start and facing severely depleted troop strength after the initial battles with Mordor (I'm thinking reduce the average # of soldiers in Gondor units but give them a bonus +1 vetrancy and maybe eliminate the elite units altogether). Gondor at this point can realistically do little more than mount a desperate defence of her existing borders.

Rohan: Edoras, left largely undefended fell almost without a fight. Rohan's forces were also severely depleted by the recent battles against Saruman and at Plennor. While Saruman was defeated (and his citadel now walled off and guarded by the Ents), the Dunlendings have absorbed the remainders of Sarumans armies and, left relatively unscathed by recent battles, have pressed their advantage. The new king Eomer has only limited forces at his disposal and only a few small settlements under his control along the mountains stretching East from Helm's Deep.

Dunlendings: In a strong position controlling a large area in the West. Forces bolstered by absorbing the remainders of Saruman's armies and can now build orc pits and train basic (low-tech) orcish units (and wargs?).

Elves: No change really from the stock mod.

Dwarves: Eastern holdings expanded slightly from original mod but remove their Western mountain (give to the rebels) it causes too many Alliance breaking problems.

Dale: Stable but tenuous hold on core regions, Easterlings are at the gates

Easterlings: Poised and ready to assault the Dwarves and Dale.

Misty Mountain Orcs: No changes really

Mordor: In a strong position, core settlements well built up, ultimate victory seems pretty well assured. Connected to Dol-Guldur but blocked (by Easterling settlements) from engaging Dale at least until Greenwood and Lorien Elves have been conquered. This to help the AI focus on going West and North.

Southrons: Decimated by losses at Plennor, many of their great chieftains and Mumaks slain. Starts off in a fractured state. Umbar and many other settlements have split off and given over to the rebels. Mumaks not buildable anymore, have them only available to 1 or 2 starting generals. Challenge playing as the Southrons would mainly be to reunite the empire by defeating the sizeable rebel forces at most surrounding settlements while having very little economy to back your campaigns.

Free Peoples: Reduced to Bree and the Hobbit lands. The rest either join Numenor faction or given over to the rebels. After learning what fates befell the hobbits of the Fellowship, the Free Peoples faction is more determined than ever to have nothing to do with whatever war is being fought.

Edit: It's done!!
    Find the Campaigns Addon for the Lord of the Rings Total War (LotR-TW - RTW - Alex based) mod here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gns-Addon-V2-6
    Last edited by CapnDan; March 03, 2016 at 07:52 PM.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: A LotRTW Mod Mod

It is an interesting, good luck if you're going ahead with it! Perhaps you could develope it as a submod for one of those LOTR mods out there? It would save you lots of time if you would tweak an existing mod to make fit better for the alternative campaign instead of creating everything from scratch.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

From a strict lore perspective, if not the 'what if'-scenario is what appeal to you here rather than to feel as to play as Númenóreans, I would suggested a mod that is put during the War of the Elves and Sauron in the Second Age; then the actual Númenórean army jumped ashore to kick some serious butt to aid Gil-galad and the Elves ^^

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Hey, CapnDan!...why don't you try to make a new whole mod (based on LotR TW)?, you can make a new modfolder and use elemments of LotR (ask Bardo before) with new others from yourself.

I agree with Ngugi, perhaps the best option is something focused on SA...there's not any mod (RTW) of that timeframe.

If you want something more focused on the numenoreans, a good option will be "the War of the Elves and Sauron", or something more different...as the colonization of Middle-Earth by the numenoreans.
    Anyway, if you prefer stay closed to Tolkien's lore...you must change a lot of things, because LotR TW is based on the films. You must change all the units, faction by faction and before do it, search for the best concepts to them. The hardest problem will be a map of SA, is very hard make a map with a lot of water (mass ratio problem) as a SA map will be to had Numenor Island on it.

You have my help if you need to improve the new units, and you have permission too to use material from Silmarillion TW (mp to send you).

Good luck and go ahead with your project!

Well thanks for the support there folks.
    I'd actually just started this thread as a response to a query on another, somebody had been trying to think of a good way to incorporate the Númenór faction included in the Lord of the Rings Total War (LotRTW) mod (but only for skirmish and historical battles) into a campaign. I'd had a similar idea while I was finishing up my (much more complicated and involved than I'd initially planned) campaign tweaks for LotRTW. One of the things I'd implemented in the campaign mod was a much stricter AOR for good quality units and I found I really enjoyed the campaign mechanic of field armies being a limited (and constantly depleting) resource that can't just be re-trained at every next settlement.

So, my purpose would have been a sub-mod to LotRTW (because it's a freaking brilliant mod, no question about it) that introduces a novel campaign mechanic to several factions as well as introducing a Númenór faction that has units that are on average much stronger than usual but constantly being whittled down in battle (leaving you eventually desperately defending settlements and/or facing off against Sauron with only a handful of veteran soldiers, maybe even down to the point of deploying units with only a couple of soldiers each).

I'd wanted to see if I could just incorporate it into LotRTW (as the prologue campaign or something) but got stuck trying to figure out how one might go about that and I realized at the same time that I really don't have the spare time these days to accomplish such a project. So, it's posted just for sake of argument.

Halvar von Flake's Avatar Senator

CapDan, some suggestions to your great project!

Your Numenor project sounds awesome but a little bit complicated to none modding ears. I like the story of Aragorn's defeat at the black gate and gollum's disappearance with the ring. But why don't call the faction Arnor with the starting regions Fornost, Shire and Bree? The other free peoples regions could be rebel owned or in Dunlendings' hands. Arnor should be able to build Gondorian walls, barracks etc. in the lost realm of Arnor regions and be able to recruit hobbits in bree and the shire and normal free peoples' militia on the first two barrack levels. On the third and fourth barrack levels the Numenoran units and rangers of the north could be recruited in Fornost and Nenuial/Annúminas.

Or maybe there could be certain conditions to be fulfilled. Aragorn would start with an army of Numenoran units and after the unification of the lost realm of Arnor the Numenoran units could be recruitable. Before the unification only free peoples' units...

Quote Originally Posted by Halvar von Flake View Post
    CapDan, some suggestions to your great project!

Your Numenor project sounds awesome but a little bit complicated to none modding ears. I like the story of Aragorn's defeat at the black gate and gollum's disappearance with the ring. But why don't call the faction Arnor with the starting regions Fornost, Shire and Bree? The other free peoples regions could be rebel owned or in Dunlendings' hands. Arnor should be able to build Gondorian walls, barracks etc. in the lost realm of Arnor regions and be able to recruit hobbits in bree and the shire and normal free peoples' militia on the first two barrack levels. On the third and fourth barrack levels the Numenoran units and rangers of the north could be recruited in Fornost and Nenuial/Annúminas.

Or maybe there could be certain conditions to be fulfilled. Aragorn would start with an army of Numenoran units and after the unification of the lost realm of Arnor the Numenoran units could be recruitable. Before the unification only free peoples' units...
    That's more or less what I'm thinking, getting the specifics implemented (and how they are implemented) though will depend on feasibility when it comes time to actually start building the mod. It's something that I won't have time for for at least several months I think. In the meantime I'll probably just casually playtest and tweak the other provincial campaigns in the existing addon.

Okay, then good luck for the next months!

I am recently playing a free peoples campaign with your addon but no provincial campaign and all the fellowship triggers work...greatest campaign ever!!!

Hey CapDan, I hope you are still working on this wonderful project...! Good Luck!

Oh, just btw if anyone is following this, the Numenor campaign is complete and released!
    It's based on an addon for the most excellent LotR-TW mod (for Rome 1 - Alexander). Here's a link.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gns-Addon-V2-6