Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Domesticus

Default Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

Is the 1 turn Greek City States campaign supposed to work differently than the rest?

Im playing around a bit in it and, for starters, it doesn't look like it's 1 turn, but more actually. One thing that i am also finding annoying is that generals/family members don't earn command stars nowhere near as fast as in the other campaigns through auto-resolve. Usually after 2 or 3 auto resolves, the character has at least 3 to 4 stars. Im finding that in this campaign, it takes a long time to get to 3. I've been repelling Macedonian attacks on Pharsalus and Termos with the same army and general and he keeps oscilating between 1 and 3 stars. It's like everything affects his command rate.

Yes i know that if you put a general in a city he tends to lose that over time, but usually after you've established him as a military commander (read: a sizeable amount of stars), that doesn't really matter as much.
    Even the mere movement of troops between the stack and the city for retrainments seems to affect the general.

Miles

uhh ....... try playing the battles yourself and having your general get plenty of kills, as to the more than 1 turn? I dunno....

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    Is the 1 turn Greek City States campaign supposed to work differently than the rest?

Im playing around a bit in it and, for starters, it doesn't look like it's 1 turn, but more actually. One thing that i am also finding annoying is that generals/family members don't earn command stars nowhere near as fast as in the other campaigns through auto-resolve. Usually after 2 or 3 auto resolves, the character has at least 3 to 4 stars. Im finding that in this campaign, it takes a long time to get to 3. I've been repelling Macedonian attacks on Pharsalus and Termos with the same army and general and he keeps oscilating between 1 and 3 stars. It's like everything affects his command rate.

Yes i know that if you put a general in a city he tends to lose that over time, but usually after you've established him as a military commander (read: a sizeable amount of stars), that doesn't really matter as much.
    Even the mere movement of troops between the stack and the city for retrainments seems to affect the general.
    Although Generals 'can' advance under autoresolve, they don't advance very fast. Playing the battles and actually having them fight in them advances them much better. In fact, many triggers NEED the general to fight in a battle. If he doesn't, he's a mediocre general.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Although Generals 'can' advance under autoresolve, they don't advance very fast. Playing the battles and actually having them fight in them advances them much better. In fact, many triggers NEED the general to fight in a battle. If he doesn't, he's a mediocre general.
    What i've experienced seems to go agaisnt this. I auto resolve more than playing the battles itself, except for large battles, i often find that after a few engagements - lets say around 5 - the general acquires command stars quite fast.

As for traits part, i am aware that performing certain moves in battle makes him acquire certain traits. I think it was Brusilov that suggested in a thread a long time ago that even simply moving the general around, without fighting, using his rally ability, earns him certain traits or something along those lines.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    What i've experienced seems to go agaisnt this. I auto resolve more than playing the battles itself, except for large battles, i often find that after a few engagements - lets say around 5 - the general acquires command stars quite fast.

As for traits part, i am aware that performing certain moves in battle makes him acquire certain traits. I think it was Brusilov that suggested in a thread a long time ago that even simply moving the general around, without fighting, using his rally ability, earns him certain traits or something along those lines.
    The General 'fighting' in a battle means, by definition, that his unit has so many kills in a battle. At least, that's the description of how the triggers are supposed to work. There are no related triggers or mechanisms in the game that look for rallying or running around. Besides...in RS2, a 3,4 or 5 star General is a good General. We wrote the trait system to avoid the old Vanilla penchant of creating scores and gobs of ten star Generals out of guys who just killed a slave army or two. Five or above star Generals in RS2 I would consider rarities...and the truly brilliant guys.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Paradraya, in Terrae Messagetae, doesn't have a culture building. I'm not sure what's most historically accurate, but to me, it seems like a Nomadic (Sarmatian/Scythian) culture would be appropriate. On the other hand, I suppose it would be nice for the Parthians if it were Eastern, and I know very little about what that place was like in the RS timeline.

This isn't much of an issue for me personally, since almost none of my campaigns are near that area anyway, but I thought I should point it out since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it in the forum. As far as I can remember, I've never actually seen Sarmatians or Parthians taking Paradraya (or Alanni) in any of my campaigns. I guess those factions don't think they're as valuable as other regions on their borders (which is probably right), but they have a pretty hard time expanding elsewhere even without spreading themselves too thin like that (because of their weak infantry, if I had to guess). So, they just stay with the "Free" faction, not developing that corner of the map in any meaningful way. And if anybody ever did take the region, they wouldn't get the cultural bonuses/penalties they would otherwise. I doubt that would have vast consequences in most games, but it is what it is.

Anyway, that is one apparent oversight that I thought I would mention while I was checking in and looking at the beautiful developments under way for RS 3. I haven't bothered fiddling with it myself, but for anyone else wondering about it, I'm pretty sure the missing cultural building would be easy to add by including the correct "treasury" building for Paradraya in the file "data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat".

That is, if it's supposed to be Nomadic, Paradraya gets this:

building
    {
    type hinterland_treasury massive_treasury
    }
    Or if it's Eastern, this:
    building
    {
    type hinterland_treasury large_treasury
    }
    Right? I'm no modder and am just guessing by looking at the files, but that seems like that might do the trick. Would you need to do anything else, or am I totally digging in the wrong place?

EDIT: Also, would changing something like that be savegame-compatible? I haven't tried it myself, because I didn't want to mess up any of my existing campaigns and don't plan on starting any new ones to test it.
    Last edited by Ovidius Empiricus; May 29, 2015 at 06:54 PM.

kyrkac's Avatar Libertus

i´m not sure but i think you should look in dscr_strat and for faction creator

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ovidius Empiricus View Post
    Paradraya, in Terrae Messagetae, doesn't have a culture building. I'm not sure what's most historically accurate, but to me, it seems like a Nomadic (Sarmatian/Scythian) culture would be appropriate. On the other hand, I suppose it would be nice for the Parthians if it were Eastern, and I know very little about what that place was like in the RS timeline.

This isn't much of an issue for me personally, since almost none of my campaigns are near that area anyway, but I thought I should point it out since I don't think anyone else has mentioned it in the forum. As far as I can remember, I've never actually seen Sarmatians or Parthians taking Paradraya (or Alanni) in any of my campaigns. I guess those factions don't think they're as valuable as other regions on their borders (which is probably right), but they have a pretty hard time expanding elsewhere even without spreading themselves too thin like that (because of their weak infantry, if I had to guess). So, they just stay with the "Free" faction, not developing that corner of the map in any meaningful way. And if anybody ever did take the region, they wouldn't get the cultural bonuses/penalties they would otherwise. I doubt that would have vast consequences in most games, but it is what it is.

Anyway, that is one apparent oversight that I thought I would mention while I was checking in and looking at the beautiful developments under way for RS 3. I haven't bothered fiddling with it myself, but for anyone else wondering about it, I'm pretty sure the missing cultural building would be easy to add by including the correct "treasury" building for Paradraya in the file "data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat".

That is, if it's supposed to be Nomadic, Paradraya gets this:

Or if it's Eastern, this:

Right? I'm no modder and am just guessing by looking at the files, but that seems like that might do the trick. Would you need to do anything else, or am I totally digging in the wrong place?

EDIT: Also, would changing something like that be savegame-compatible? I haven't tried it myself, because I didn't want to mess up any of my existing campaigns and don't plan on starting any new ones to test it.
    Thanks for pointing that otu. It will get fixed in the next version of RS.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

As I could not find it - is there a list of cities that recruit legions? For I am having troubles someplaces to get the best barracks and such.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Has there been an news of a fix for RSII for the latest Steam update at all?

Patrician

I keep trying different things...but no luck. RS2 just refuses to run on the Steam version of RTW or BI.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

Anyone know if this will work on windows 10?
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

Patrician

There is no reason it shouldn't.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Hi! I have been thinking that could be awesome if you include the kingdom of Iberia as another swap faction along Massalia, Galatia, etc. In fact in the current version has its own unique unites as the Iberian Nobles, Iberian Cataphracts, etc...

Talic's Avatar Libertus

Can someone tell me the differences of playing this mod in normal Rome, Barbarian Invasion and Alexander?
    Does it just bring mod content into those three eras?

Hello. Could you tell me what can I get from the enemy barracks in a conquered city? Because it doesn't produce anything. Can I anyhow get it work or should I just destroy it?
    For example I, playing for Armenia, conquered a Seleucid city with elite barracks. Can I use it to produce units or should I just destroy it?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by one_man View Post
    Hello. Could you tell me what can I get from the enemy barracks in a conquered city? Because it doesn't produce anything. Can I anyhow get it work or should I just destroy it?
    For example I, playing for Armenia, conquered a Seleucid city with elite barracks. Can I use it to produce units or should I just destroy it?
    For the most part, enemy barracks will get you nothing. So destroy it.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    For the most part, enemy barracks will get you nothing. So destroy it.
    Thank you for the answer. I also wondered why phalanx formations are no longer available for the hoplites.
    Also in export_descr_units I saw a shield wall formation for Kentronakan Spearmen, which, unfortunately, does not work(maybe because I do not have BI?).

Patrician

Thank you for the answer. I also wondered why phalanx formations are no longer available for the hoplites.
    Also in export_descr_units I saw a shield wall formation for Kentronakan Spearmen, which, unfortunately, does not work(maybe because I do not have BI?).
    Yup...only works with BI.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

You should consider hoplites as just spearmen now.

Except "Hoplites of Cyprus" or something, those are actually pikemen