Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

Quote Originally Posted by MyMumsCar View Post
    Hello, I got 2 questions, played RS 2.6 for months now

-why can't you build Epic stone wall, but when u capture Rome you can build smtn called great wall of Archimedes = Epic stone wall?
    -playing as Sparta, will I ever get to train true spartan hoplites , or are the Spartan Promachoi best I'll ever gonna have (cause honestly they suck 1v1 vs roman medium units, or maybe i'm using them wrong?)
    You will need this:

mora_order5 requires factions { greek_cities, } and building_present_min_level hinterland_settlement_determination fortified_city and building_present_min_level legion_suppy legion_suppy and hidden_resource gre

Which is the fifth level of Spartan barracks, in a Fortified city, with the army rations supply building, and the city must have the hidden resource 'gre', meaning Greek.
    That means that only certain cities will allow you to build this barracks.

There are currently only two places (as I recall), where Epic stone walls can be built, Syracuse and Rome. One reason is simply historical.....these two cities had very extensive walls. The second is 'practical'....the Epic stone walls are bugged (too high for the ladders), and the animations for the gates are horrid. In RSIII, these walls will be removed entirely. Settlements will only be able to build the 'Stone' walls, except for Syracuse and Rome, which will be allowed the Large stone walls.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Ok thank you, was just wondering was it bug Captured Syracuse it already has built Archimedes wall, I guess thats all of them wallz

about that spartan units, exclusive hoplites, are there any?
    And these Promachoi, I thought they can be trained exclusively in Sparta, turns out I can train them in Syracuse and Athene, probably anywhere with high level barracks,
    I really want that feel of exclusivity that one unit can be trained only in one settlement and is mega expensive and is best unit in game and takes 3 turns or so to train , is that too much to ask

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    ............................ In RSIII, ......................
    I saw it - did you see it?????????

dvk' wrote it - it must be true!!!!!!!!!
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Patrician

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

...dreams became reality!!!

a great week to come back from months of living on the sea!

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

great news+rep DVK
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

Oh happy day, but RTW1 or 2....

Aikanár's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

Hopefully the former, not the latter.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

dvk 901 you just made my weekend much much better! RS III sounds great! Keep up the good work.
    I've been playing RTW games and mods for years but had a huge break and got RS 2.5 just a few days ago.
    It looks great, works great and is more chalenging for sure, wich I like but there is a problem...

My way of playing the game is more focused on campain map then on the rts battles. In past I relied heavily on auto resolve when it's 80% or more on my side.
    I never wanted to lose time on battles where I will have to chase the enemy all over the field for 15-20 minutes and my gameing time will pass in few turns.
    I've played a game as Syracuse. My score is 30 wins and 11 loses. All the lost battles were autoresolved when I was so superior in every way possible I just couldn't lose.
    What's the catch? I would understand if it was Themopilae but it's not. Several armies in full strenght with veteran troops get ripped into pieces by a handfull of noob Romans.
    Autoresolve showed me like 90+% win... Is there any way to fix this? I work a lot and only time for me to play is time when I'm supposed to rest and sleep. RL can be a pain in the...

Anyway, great job guys. All you involved in creating mods I salute you!!!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Ybbon View Post
    Oh happy day, but RTW1 or 2....
    I am sticking with RTW1. There are many newer, younger, more inspired people to mod the new game. And, I just happen to prefer the old one over the new one. So my goal is to just keep making RS2\3 more fun and enhance wherever I can, as well as respond to player comments and issues to make it better.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

...you'll have to change your avatar motto from "consummatum est" to something like "semper progrediens"...

Quote Originally Posted by pretorian024 View Post
    ...................... and got RS 2.5 just a few days ago.....................

... Is there any way to fix this? .................
    If it's RSII you love - be sure to play v2.6 and not v2.5 - lots and lots of fixes.

The 'Auto-resolve', however, is hard-coded. RSII (as indeed RSI) has, however, made many, many changes to the Unit stats - most resulting in values far different than Vanilla RTW used. This results in wonderful battles that are the best I have ever enjoyed off the table-top.

I understand your point, however, and can only commiserate. During my testing phase (and whilst not working) it was easy to spend 2 hours on just one turn. Now, I don't mind playing a single campaign over an actual real year, but that's not to everyone's taste.

I'm going to be a bit radical here - for if it's the campaign level that you like and are happy to auto-resolve battles; then I'd actually suggest giving Rome2 a try.

I fight each and every battle when playing RSII - but not everyone can.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by pretorian024 View Post
    dvk 901 you just made my weekend much much better! RS III sounds great! Keep up the good work.
    I've been playing RTW games and mods for years but had a huge break and got RS 2.5 just a few days ago.
    It looks great, works great and is more chalenging for sure, wich I like but there is a problem...

My way of playing the game is more focused on campain map then on the rts battles. In past I relied heavily on auto resolve when it's 80% or more on my side.
    I never wanted to lose time on battles where I will have to chase the enemy all over the field for 15-20 minutes and my gameing time will pass in few turns.
    I've played a game as Syracuse. My score is 30 wins and 11 loses. All the lost battles were autoresolved when I was so superior in every way possible I just couldn't lose.
    What's the catch? I would understand if it was Themopilae but it's not. Several armies in full strenght with veteran troops get ripped into pieces by a handfull of noob Romans.
    Autoresolve showed me like 90+% win... Is there any way to fix this? I work a lot and only time for me to play is time when I'm supposed to rest and sleep. RL can be a pain in the...

Anyway, great job guys. All you involved in creating mods I salute you!!!
    Well, you have just explained why I almost NEVER auto-resolve. As hard as we tried to make auto-resolve better, especially where it concerned the 'horse' cultures, it's just impossible to calculate all of the possible matchups between every possible combination of units in armies. And, auto-resolve takes only into account 'statistics' or mathematics...shall we say. So the tactics and strategy one would normally use in a battle are of no consequence. Just for an example, consider how your AI enemy behaves in a battle you 'play'. Cavalry charge into spear units and fight melee, phalanx units wander around independently and break formation, Generals just plow into enemy lines and get killed. In auto-resolve, this is exactly how ALL units...including you're own...will behave.

Another thing to consider in auto-resolve matters is that RS2 was purposely written and structured into individual campaigns so that the player's units (in many, many cases) have slightly inferior stats than they would as an AI opponent. The reasoning here was simply to give the player a better challenge...rather than just running over everyone with superior units. (Actually got that idea from LT1956's 'SPQR'...which he wrote so that the Romans were much harder to play.) So, yeah, auto-resolve is a risky business.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Hi people,

honestly i'm playing RS2 since ver. 2.5, before i just "tasted and tested", but did not get the real flavour, and just got stucked on good old RS1.6....
    But whith 2.5 things changed, and especially with 2.6 release i completly switched from old to new... 2.6 was the turning point where i really became a RS2 fan .

Howewer some old habits remains and in some cases i just can't deal with them: i heavily used to sack and plunder enemy settlements, for weakening the bastards, and for money... ok, money never was a big issue in 1.6, but now a 10-15k prey just seems to be a great help from time to time, so i just can't resist when i spot an almost deffenceless cimbri or boii or whatever city... the problem is that now when the sacked and abandoned settlement revolts, it becames a rebel roman city, and that is weird and kill the fun, at least for me.

I tried to give back the region to the faction i get it from, using the forced diplomacy, but this also don't seems to be very realistic for me, and i not allways have a diplomat around especially since according with an one of my self-imposed rule i send diplomatic missions only to the enemy's/friend's capitol.... and that could be far, far away from Roma....

Any idea how i could deal with this not so big issue?

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    Any idea how i could deal with this not so big issue?
    It is a play-style issue and I'm afraid there's no easy way round it (it's something I can enjoy in R2 when 'extinct' factions can re-appear when this happens).

The main reason for it is simply that it's not reasonably historic and thus RSII doesn't cater for it, let alone that it's aimed at having 'rebellions' seem like, well, 'rebellions'. 'Veni, Vidi, Vici' - there's simply no 'and then we gave it back afterwards, or went off and let them suffer'......

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    It is a play-style issue and I'm afraid there's no easy way round it (it's something I can enjoy in R2 when 'extinct' factions can re-appear when this happens).
    Reading your post i had a "what if" flash... but was long time ago when i played last time BI and don't remember exactly, but the whole thing has reason only if the "shadowing" factions, like eastern and western rebels in BI and thrace, aka roman rebels in RS2, re-appears after extintion or not. Because if they do, the whole thing is pointless... but if they NOT, then:

After the civil war, when player reconquered his/(her?) lost provinces and kick off the roman rebels from the map, untill they remain with a single settlement in the frozen top left corner, what if a scripted console command will kill the roman rebels...? When one fought his/(her?) last battle with roman rebels, an ingame "Actium", between the romans and roman rebels, rebels will disappear suddenly and a nice historical message will pop-up, announcing the new "Pax Romana"... Even Caesar Imperator could became Augustus Caesar Imperator at this point.

tiepilot98's Avatar Libertus

Have anybody building trees on RSII? So easy to get lost in these buildings, especially in Roman camping.

Battlefield's Avatar Civis

I have a question about the bloom effect in RSII. Is it possible to use the RSII bloom effect in other mods? I'm guessing you need the launcher in order to use the effect. Thanks a lot for the help.
    Rome Total War mods
    INVASIO BARBARORVM | Roma Surrectum | Rome Total Realism
    Medieval 2 Total War mods
    Stainless Steel | Europa Barbarorum II | Broken Crescent

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

Patrician

I don't think the Launcher is necessary...just the files involved.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father