Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    the captain now

Default Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

True....the start of RS2 is very close to the time when many armies began to abandon the pike phalanx......because of the Romans. As effective and powerful as it was, the Romans defeated Macedon with greater mobility and cohort formations.
    Also, the Gauls showed Rome that their phalanx was squat in 390BC......so things were changing. Hoplites functioned more like the Triarii as more mobile spearmen.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

It's a good thing the pike phalanx is extremely effective against Romans in this.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

I just installed the mod on my laptop and, strangely, the campaign map lags very badly. 15-20 fps. Battles run fine, and I can run M2TW and mods fine on the campaign map in those games.
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

the captain now

Try setting the video to (resolution) 16bit.......you'll notice very little difference in how it looks, and performance should increase.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I'll try it and report my results, thank you!

Um...how exactly do you set it to 16 bit? I see the option for 32 bit but no 16

Hello. I was wondering if you could make the AI troops use swords(second weapon) when fighting in a close combat. This lack(not using the 2nd weapon by AI) was in vanilla as well, but maybe you can fix it now. The issue is, that in the close combat swords are more efficient, than spears.
    For example, I tested a battle with 1 Azat Cavalry unit vs 1 Parthian Cataphract unit. As you may see from stats, cataphracts have much better attack, armor and charge bonus. In the first battle I ordered the Azat Cavalry to attack using only spears. And they obviously lost. However in the second battle, when I ordered them to attack with the second weapon they easily defeated the parthians, which, commanded by AI, used only spears during the whole battle. But if they(cataphracts) also used their second weapon, they would have won with minor casualties.
    I am asking to fix this, because I adore playing RSII campaigns but am tired of seeing how an elite enemy cavalrymen/infantrymen are killed like pigs by much more weaker and inexperienced soldiers commanded by me(cause that's unfair))).
    I have not modded RTW, but I think that you could use the code for the archers to use swords when in close combat, as a template.
    Good luck)

Quote Originally Posted by one_man View Post
    I have not modded RTW, but I think that you could use the code for the archers to use swords when in close combat, as a template.
    No, as their spear is not a ranged weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    No, as their spear is not a ranged weapon.
    ok, let it be so, the modders know better. Anyway could you make it? It would increase the strength of AI.

In the years since someone first gave a unit two melee weapons, it hasn't happened yet.

the captain now

Hello. I was wondering if you could make the AI troops use swords(second weapon) when fighting in a close combat. This lack(not using the 2nd weapon by AI) was in vanilla as well, but maybe you can fix it now. The issue is, that in the close combat swords are more efficient, than spears.
    For example, I tested a battle with 1 Azat Cavalry unit vs 1 Parthian Cataphract unit. As you may see from stats, cataphracts have much better attack, armor and charge bonus. In the first battle I ordered the Azat Cavalry to attack using only spears. And they obviously lost. However in the second battle, when I ordered them to attack with the second weapon they easily defeated the parthians, which, commanded by AI, used only spears during the whole battle. But if they(cataphracts) also used their second weapon, they would have won with minor casualties.
    I am asking to fix this, because I adore playing RSII campaigns but am tired of seeing how an elite enemy cavalrymen/infantrymen are killed like pigs by much more weaker and inexperienced soldiers commanded by me(cause that's unfair))).
    Good luck)

I totally agree with you on this....and yet, it can't be fixed because the way RTW is written, or limited by the code. Here is an example of what type of weapon are available:

Weapon type = melee, thrown, missile, or siege_missile

As you can see, the ONLY weapon type available for close combat is 'melee'.....all of the others are for weapons that can only be used at a distance. The code restricts the 'switching' of one weapon to another from 'any ranged weapon type' to 'melee'. So any unit that has one of the last three weapon types can switch, in close combat, to a second melee weapon type. But a unit that uses two melee type weapons can only be switched manually, and by the player. The AI software already 'sees' a melee weapon in the first weapon of a unit that has two melee weapons, so it won't switch. It's essentially a 'bug' in the sense that whomever wrote the original code probably didn't foresee that a unit with two melee weapons wouldn't be able to switch them automatically, and in fact 'Vanilla' units with two melee weapons are very few (unless the second melee weapon represents a chariot, dog, pig, etc.).

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I totally agree with you on this....and yet, it can't be fixed because the way RTW is written, or limited by the code. Here is an example of what type of weapon are available:

Weapon type = melee, thrown, missile, or siege_missile

As you can see, the ONLY weapon type available for close combat is 'melee'.....all of the others are for weapons that can only be used at a distance. The code restricts the 'switching' of one weapon to another from 'any ranged weapon type' to 'melee'. So any unit that has one of the last three weapon types can switch, in close combat, to a second melee weapon type. But a unit that uses two melee type weapons can only be switched manually, and by the player. The AI software already 'sees' a melee weapon in the first weapon of a unit that has two melee weapons, so it won't switch. It's essentially a 'bug' in the sense that whomever wrote the original code probably didn't foresee that a unit with two melee weapons wouldn't be able to switch them automatically, and in fact 'Vanilla' units with two melee weapons are very few (unless the second melee weapon represents a chariot, dog, pig, etc.).
    That's pretty bad. But I thought of one thing: when hoplites or phalangites are very close to the enemy or their formation is broken they switch to swords automatically(that's true for the AI units as well). Maybe it can be used for cavalry in the same way?

That's pretty bad. But I thought of one thing: when hoplites or phalangites are very close to the enemy or their formation is broken they switch to swords automatically(that's true for the AI units as well). Maybe it can be used for cavalry in the same way?
    No as cavalry don't Form Phalanx.

Also, cavalry charge with their primary weapon, infantry charge with their secondary if they have two melee weapons.

I was wondering why agents are so expensive. I just find it weird that hiring a single spy costs about the same as creating a entire army. Is it to prevent the AI from spamming them?

Quote Originally Posted by adrastea View Post
    I was wondering why agents are so expensive. I just find it weird that hiring a single spy costs about the same as creating a entire army. Is it to prevent the AI from spamming them?
    Yeah, that's basically it.

And the AI -still- spams them to some extent...

Hi. Is it possible to enlarge the battle map and the size of settlements?
    And also could you bring back the red border line on the battle map(or add such thing in options)?

the captain now

Quote Originally Posted by adrastea View Post
    Agents were indeed made quite expensive to control the fact that the AI had no qualms about having more diplomats and spies than they had troops.

Hi. Is it possible to enlarge the battle map and the size of settlements?
    And also could you bring back the red border line on the battle map(or add such thing in options)?
    No, the battlemap is a set number of 'squares'...actually 'pixels', as they relate to the various map files. So the battlemap is four pixels, and it's hard coded.
    Settlements 'could' be bigger, and in some cases I wish they could be. However, it's all of matter of what you're trying to accomplish in the game. And, as I found out while building Alexandria, RTW does have a limit on how many 'things' can be loaded in a settlement. I don't know exactly what the number is, but I know I hit it in Alexandria.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    No, the battlemap is a set number of 'squares'...actually 'pixels', as they relate to the various map files. So the battlemap is four pixels, and it's hard coded.
    Settlements 'could' be bigger, and in some cases I wish they could be. However, it's all of matter of what you're trying to accomplish in the game. And, as I found out while building Alexandria, RTW does have a limit on how many 'things' can be loaded in a settlement. I don't know exactly what the number is, but I know I hit it in Alexandria.
    Thank you for the answer. One more thing, you haven't answered. Could tell me how to bring back the old red line on the border of a battlemap? It's hard, playing for Scythians, to orient the horse archers when not seeing where the map ends.

the captain now

Thank you for the answer. One more thing, you haven't answered. Could tell me how to bring back the old red line on the border of a battlemap? It's hard, playing for Scythians, to orient the horse archers when not seeing where the map ends.
    You can replace the file: battlefield_border.tga.dds in the (your RTW folder)\data\textures, with the one from Vanilla. That will restore the red border.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Ok. This is probably going to sound like a n00bish question, but I seem to have a bit of trouble getting the "Imperator Caesar" trait.
    The big rebellion just hit, and my FL got the dictator for life trait. So, following instructions elsewhere on this forum Mr. FL suffered an unfortunate (but deliberate) boating accident.
    Now, for a bit of context; on a previous play through, which I had to abandon for a previous save (silly me forgot to activate the script somewhere, causing the 10 second ctd) I suicided Mr. FL and sure enough, next turn cities stopped rebelling and a couple turns after that Mr. FH (now FL) got the Imperator Caesar trait, plus the other two.

Now, on my CURRENT play through, after sending Mr. Dictator 4 lyfe to sleep with the fishes, its been about 10 turns, I have Roma (which, if I read the descr_traits file right is one of the requirements) but still no Caesar traits, no name change, no dictator 4 lyfe traits, nuffin. I've been fanatical about activating lé scripts, so that's not the problem. Maybe Mr. Fl or FH didn't have HouseCaesar trait? (Which is invisible anyway).