Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Default Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

Thanks a lot for your answers! That's unfortunate that the very hard campaign is bugged. Is it on the same level like the normal campaign or even easier? Very hard battles setting is fine though? For now I will stick to the very hard campaign I guess, to relearn the game. Just felt like tackling the max challenge when starting to play.

I'll probably see whether I'm capable of handling the Phalanx pretty soon.

Icon6 Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

Quote Originally Posted by Uli83 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your answers! That's unfortunate that the very hard campaign is bugged. Is it on the same level like the normal campaign or even easier? Very hard battles setting is fine though? For now I will stick to the very hard campaign I guess, to relearn the game. Just felt like tackling the max challenge when starting to play.

I'll probably see whether I'm capable of handling the Phalanx pretty soon.

My opinion, the bugged (hard-coded) VH campaign is closer to "normal"(medium) than "easy", but it has been a while since I played "normal" (medium)difficulty. The VH diplomacy will be even less sensible. Prepare to use "Forced Diplomacy" a lot, if you're inclined to use diplomacy.

As for the Phalanxes, be sure to heed tungri_centurio's advice in his answer to your question 8.

Non-phalanx armies beat phalanx armies by not fighting the phalanxes until you first surround and bleed them with missile fire on their flanks, if possible. Even then, you may suffer medium to heavy losses by the troops that engage. In short, when possible, stay away from the pointy end of the pikes.

The AI's use of phalanxes usually makes them less formidable than they could be, but don't take that for granted, you could wind up on the short end, I mean the long end of a pike.

Despite my bravado answer to your question 8, in reality, no matter what faction I play, I try not to engage any other faction, unless absolutely necessary for as long as possible. I just take all the independent cities within reach. I want my future enemies to be formidable when we fight it out. I get much more satisfying campaigns that way.

Although, I did that the last time I played as Macedon, building up my cities, absorbing outlying independent cities, keeping my armies small but lean, avoiding any major confrontations, playing only defense when attacked, and the result; the now powerful Romans and Greeks who were at war with each other, now came at me as I was fighting the now powerful Dacian's in the north......no, I'm sorry, it's too traumatic to talk about, not to mention embarrassing.

Well, if you insist, I'll give the short version. The surprised Macedonians aided by hastily raised hordes of mercenaries won many battles and made several valiant stands, such courage they showed in face of overwhelming odds...excuse me, I seem to have something in my eye.
    I was playing (H/H) 1 turn recruitment, it was not possible to raise enough good troops in time to stop the tragedy. The gods had abandoned us. The last Macedonians dragged me from my warhorse and placed me on a donkey (ass) and told me never to return. To this day, I've never tried to redeem myself to the Macedonians.

In your case, as the Dacians, going after the nearest Greek cities is sound since they're unlikely to march back to take them, having to go through Macedon or the Romans, but what if those factions covet those cities you took?

If you go to war early with Scythia, I'd go all out to destroy them. They make a good buffer to the Sarmations, but for how long? Sooner or later, Scythia will want what you have. Don't forget the Boii, they've been known to visit Dacia from time to time.

And of course, don't forget the Romans. Sooner or later, they want what everybody's got.

A bit long winded, but there you have it.
    Last edited by stackero; January 12, 2015 at 01:03 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

The Romans are magical men. You should strangle them to death as early as possible before their hilarious autoresolve strength owns everyone.

Hello,

At the launcher there are options like vegetation,unit models.I change them and press save button but every time I start the launcher,options keep resetting.Is it normal?

And when I start the campaign (1-turn Rome),should I keep using launcher to launch the game?

Thanks in advance...

(By the way,why I can't edit my posts?)

Icon1 Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by koray View Post
    Hello,

At the launcher there are options like vegetation,unit models.I change them and press save button but every time I start the launcher,options keep resetting.Is it normal?

I'm not familiar with that problem, and if I'm understanding your question, do this..change and save the preferences settings, quit the settings, then go back into preferences settings and see if your save took. If they did, the new campaign you choose from that launcher should have those settings.

If you change preference settings that conflict with the mod's design. That could be why its not saving properly.

And when I start the campaign (1-turn Rome),should I keep using launcher to launch the game?
    Of course, each time you start a RS2 campaign you start through the launcher. I feel your question may be more than it seems. Let me expand on it a bit. Once you change launcher preferences settings, save, then start a new campaign, play it, save it, leave it, then come back using the launcher, you only need to pick the campaign(1-turn Rome), you do not need to reset or change any of the preferences settings in the launcher. Just start your (1-turn Rome) campaign, then from the loading screen pick load game then pick the saved campaign. The settings you chose to originally start that campaign will be in effect. You do not need to reset any preference settings each time you start up a saved campaign. Not exactly what you asked, but I thought I'd follow on through.

(By the way,why I can't edit my posts?)
    I forget, but I think you have to have 30 to 50 posts before you can edit a post. I don't know why.

If you're still unclear or if I confused you more, don't hesitate to ask more questions. Other members sooner or later will see this and likely can give clearer answers or even correct me if I made a mistake in my memory.

Tip: In case you don't know, remember, when playing a campaign and you decide to go back to an earlier save, you should exit the game completely, launch the game then load that save. This insures your script will be running properly. Click City/click Adviser /one denari added= script running.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

Quote Originally Posted by koray View Post
    At the launcher there are options like vegetation,unit models.I change them and press save button but every time I start the launcher,options keep resetting.Is it normal?......
    This sometime seems to happen when people 'tweak' their installation somewhat, perhaps by just changing the icon for the shortcut. We're not sure how it happens and I've done it myself and spent some time trying to get a Team Developer to replicate it - and then discovered it myself!

Do check the details for your shortcut; and you may well find that the 'Starts in' section is misplaced. Change it to where the Launcher.exe is located and the options should then appear as saved. Curiously it is likely they always were and the game remembered them, but it simply doesn't show if the shortcut details are incorrect.

Please let us know.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

This problem has been happened to me too, untill i fixed the path in the shortcut's properties.
    Since i modified it from "wonders" to "launcher" works fine, all my saves and settings are 'saved'.

Yes, I changed the shortcut's properties and now it is saving the options.

Thanks for all the answers...

How to get max FPS/performance(If possible without sacrificing the visuals) out of this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    How to get max FPS/performance(If possible without sacrificing the visuals) out of this mod?
    In general you can't - for it was written (RTW base code) in a bygone age.

In general, however, you can pretty much get there with a very fast CPU (with good onboard graphics) and a well cooled graphics card (a super graphics card is no help at all, but it will still get hot from the throughput - unless you don't use it at all).
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Hi i've been looking for a list or thread that shows how many event messages there are on RS2 and when they end. I by this i mean the "plaque in alexandria" messages. Ive tried searching the forums but with no succes. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Speirs View Post
    Hi i've been looking for a list or thread that shows how many event messages there are on RS2 and when they end. I by this i mean the "plaque in alexandria" messages. Ive tried searching the forums but with no succes. Thank you.
    I don't know if there is or were a thread about these, but you can take a look in ...\RS 2.6\Play_Anyfaction\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder.
    There is a file, descr_events.txt where all events are enlisted.
    Events descriptions are in the ...\RS 2.6\Play_Anyfaction\data\text folder - historic_events.txt file.

I hope this info is useful for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    I don't know if there is or were a thread about these, but you can take a look in ...\RS 2.6\Play_Anyfaction\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign folder.
    There is a file, descr_events.txt where all events are enlisted.
    Events descriptions are in the ...\RS 2.6\Play_Anyfaction\data\text folder - historic_events.txt file.

I hope this info is useful for you.
    Ah thanks mate, Ill take a look there. Just wanted to see which events ive been missing out on the last few playthroughs etc. +rep

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    In general you can't - for it was written (RTW base code) in a bygone age.

In general, however, you can pretty much get there with a very fast CPU (with good onboard graphics) and a well cooled graphics card (a super graphics card is no help at all, but it will still get hot from the throughput - unless you don't use it at all).
    Ok how do I increase fps with sacrificing the visuals?

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Ok how do I increase fps with sacrificing the visuals?
    Then 'tone down' all the graphics options and see how it is. Then increase them, perhaps only one and one level at a time, and when it's no longer good enough for you, undo the last change and then you'll have it.

One of the things that I suggest everyone try, that is not obvious these days, is to change the base graphics down to 16-bit - you'll barely notice the difference, but the processor will.

LegioXXIRapax's Avatar Laetus

Hello,
    I have the following questions / dilemmas:
    1. Is there a problem if I change settlements names during the game? I play Rome 0-turn and like Latin name of each settlement I conquer I know it was posted already somewhere but can't find that post at the moment...
    2. How is the transfering of legions' ancillaries done?

Thanks for help!

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXIRapax View Post
    Hello,
    I have the following questions / dilemmas:
    1. Is there a problem if I change settlements names during the game? I play Rome 0-turn and like Latin name of each settlement I conquer I know it was posted already somewhere but can't find that post at the moment...
    2. How is the transfering of legions' ancillaries done?

Thanks for help!
    1. Don't change the settlement names because a lot of ancillaries/traits are triggered by these, and scripted events also. So there will be a lot of problems.
    2. Put the ancillary 'carrier' character in the same army/settlement together with the one you want to transfer the legion commander ancillary, open the army window, and drag&drop the little anc picture to the second character.

LegioXXIRapax's Avatar Laetus

Great, thanks for the answers
    I've been playing RSII since 2010 and is really amazing game. I'm following the forum since then but until now didn't have any questions - everything was actually explained (and asked as well) by others. So - keep on

Quote Originally Posted by LegioXXIRapax View Post
    Great, thanks for the answers
    I've been playing RSII since 2010 and is really amazing game. I'm following the forum since then but until now didn't have any questions - everything was actually explained (and asked as well) by others. So - keep on
    Yeah, in those good old times forum was much more active... lot of good questions and answers... i spent nearly as much time reading on forum as i've played.
    I'm playing RS since it's early release, much before 1.5-1.6 and never get bored; and now when i diged a little in data files i'm really amased on brillant work developers put in.
    This game is THE MOD for RTW.

Hello, I got 2 questions, played RS 2.6 for months now

-why can't you build Epic stone wall, but when u capture Rome you can build smtn called great wall of Archimedes = Epic stone wall?
    -playing as Sparta, will I ever get to train true spartan hoplites , or are the Spartan Promachoi best I'll ever gonna have (cause honestly they suck 1v1 vs roman medium units, or maybe i'm using them wrong?)