Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Are you using a Steam version of RTW?
    Nope.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Quote Originally Posted by czePowerslave View Post
    Is there a way to check if I have RS 2.6 installed? Ive been over many installations in time and even though my folder says so, im experiencing incredible amount of crashes so want to make sure.
    What type of crashes?
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Hello, have one question:

are the buildings shown here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...nd-Screenshots already in 2.6 version or is this something under development and will come as new patch in the future?

kyrkac's Avatar Libertus

no, its wip

Quote Originally Posted by kyrkac View Post
    no, its wip
    Ok, thanks Wanted to know before playing as otherwise it would end with me thinking that something with mod installation was messed up and would reinstall numerous times.

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    What type of crashes?
    on WIN7 game just stops working, throws that small screen saying that program stopped working and its a goner. Happens mostly when sieging or defending settlements or killing AI generals in battle.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Domesticus

Something that's icking me.

With the new patch Pergamon has no low and mid level phalangites. Pre patch, it had the levy pikemen unit and the agema one. Now it only has the agema. Say the player wants to build a phalanx oriented army, what's he gonna do? Stack agemas? Seems a bit unfair.

Pre patch it was already somewhat bothersome if you wanted to do that, having 4 or 5 levy pikemen and then going straight to agema.

Solid Snake's Avatar Vicarius

Can anyone help a brother on installation issues on Steam?
    Do check my AAR "The Proud Blood of Germania"
    Formerly known as JerichoOnlyFan.
    And my other AAR: "The Black Serpent"

Good day,

i have a question concerning the portrayal of your Roman Provinces on the Mini Map. I was a fan of their depiction in 2.5. where you didnt see the borders between the provinces on the Mini Map so your Empire looked like one bigh unit. In 2.6 the depiction changed, and you clearly see the borders between the provinces on your minimap. My question is:

Is there a way to change the depiction of the Provinces on the Minimap to the way it was depicted in 2.5 for the Romans?

Quote Originally Posted by Rain0r View Post
    Good day,

i have a question concerning the portrayal of your Roman Provinces on the Mini Map. I was a fan of their depiction in 2.5. where you didnt see the borders between the provinces on the Mini Map so your Empire looked like one bigh unit. In 2.6 the depiction changed, and you clearly see the borders between the provinces on your minimap. My question is:

Is there a way to change the depiction of the Provinces on the Minimap to the way it was depicted in 2.5 for the Romans?
    Go to your RS2 folder, and go to:
    data -> _IMPORTANT_STUFF -> Region_borders_not_visible

Select the folder for your campaign (probably play_rome) and just copy it into your main rs2 folder.

It should ask you if you want to overwrite descr_sm_faction. Yes, you do. Done.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

can anyone help me out how i get this unit as an AoR unit for rome? you can hire them as mercs.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    what files i need to look into? only exp_desc_units and exp_desc_buildings?or more files.
    i wan't to recruit them in kotias,myshketa and Van.

i wanna change this one:
    recruit "khaldian mountaineer" 0 requires factions { romans_brutii, } and hidden_resource area12

roman faction is romans_brutii or not?

+reps for the one that gives me the right path
    Last edited by tungri_centurio; November 15, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    can anyone help me out how i get this unit as an AoR unit for rome? you can hire them as mercs.
    what files i need to look into? only exp_desc_units and exp_desc_buildings?or more files.
    i wan't to recruit them in kotias,myshketa and Van.
    you have to edit both files, EDU(piece of cake ) and EDB as well, but i think you have to edit DMB also(just copy/paste the mercenary line and edit it, for romans_brutii, both texture and sprite lines).
    the really challenge will be the EDB, to avoid unit overnumber caused CTD.
    and you have to add ui cards to romans_brutii folder(s).
    Last edited by ferike_2007; November 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    you have to edit both files, EDU(piece of cake ) and EDB as well, but i think you have to edit DMB also(just copy/paste the mercenary line and edit it, for romans_brutii, both texture and sprite lines).
    the really challenge will be the EDB, to avoid unit overnumber caused CTD.
    and you have to add ui cards to romans_brutii folder(s).
    thanks for the intel.but that is gonna be to hard for a non modder like me i guess.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by tungri_centurio View Post
    thanks for the intel.but that is gonna be to hard for a non modder like me i guess.
    Not so hard. I used the old rs1.6 to learn the very basics...

Well, i have just started playing this mod and i am kinda crushed by the complexity of the building system. Especially by tax buildings which provide more negatives then positives and i quite don't understand what their deal is. Do they have some hidden benefits or unlock some late tier buildings and such?

Also is there some kind of wiki or something that explains these buildings and the building tree in detail?

Quote Originally Posted by OverLORDY View Post
    Well, i have just started playing this mod and i am kinda crushed by the complexity of the building system. Especially by tax buildings which provide more negatives then positives and i quite don't understand what their deal is. Do they have some hidden benefits or unlock some late tier buildings and such?

Also is there some kind of wiki or something that explains these buildings and the building tree in detail?
    There are some tutorials and tipps and basic survival guides, you can start here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ut-RS2-is-here

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tions-elusive&

My personal advice: let the tax buildings for the late game when you already developed happines and law buildings enuogh to counteract the tax buildings negative effects, and in your newly conquered settlements you allways take care to destroy these buildings; AI will build them very quickly because there are modified missile buildings - vanilla practice and archery ranges which aren't used for recruitment purpose here.

In this mod exists a wide range of economy boosters which you can develop in order to provide for you a decent income for building and troops recruiting/maintenance. You have to develop quickly your main temple tree ( e.g. temple of Jupiter for romans, temple of Ares for greeks ) - the one will provide a high happines/law bonus without tax penalities, and even money generator at the last two levels; also will allow to build other temples in settlements.

Start at easy/easy to familiarize with new, complex features.
    Keep an eye on your governors because the new, completly reworked trait/ancillary sistem.
    Develop your homeland - you have AOR maps in Important_stuff folder.
    Read older post, there are a lot of (hidden) advices around...

Have fun!
    Last edited by ferike_2007; January 08, 2015 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks, i would give you +rep if i could. I just read your post and the links attached to it and lots of things make sense now.

After not having played Roma Surrectum for a couple of years, I recently downloaded the newest version, upgraded it to 2.6 and installed the quicker battle files since I remembered that to be an issue. Playing an One-Turn-Campaign on very hard/very hard as Dacia things are starting out quite well. After 30+ turns I control 9 regions (starting out from 3) each governed by a general/family member, make around 14k+ a turn, usually construct buildings in every city every turn and got 2 full stack armies plus reinforcements in the field. Still a few questions arose so far:

1. I hardly ever lose a battle (I got to admit that I pause the battle once right at the start, to give initial orders), still the upgrading of units is extremly slow. Usually nothing happens, even in the case heroic victories. Sometimes units even get downgraded. Is this just due to the very hard battles setting?

2. Most of the time when there is another army nearby, at the beginning of the battle a 'will reinforcements be delayed?' message pops up. I don't remember this feature. Does this actually mean, that the other army will show up eventually, if the battle takes long enough, or will that army never enter the battle in any case?

3. This new 'Settlement Loyalty I-IV' trait is extremly annoying. It basically makes setting taxes at very high, which I always used to do, impossible. Is there any way to get around this? If I swap around generals from and to my capital for a while to be able to take in that aditional cash, how long does it take for the generals/family members to lose this negative trait?

4. I've read on the forums that the Tax I etc. buildings have a severely negative impact in the long run, although the description text of the building only indicates a happyness penalty of 30% if I remember that right. I could easily sustain this in my core cities. Still I haven't built these so far and focussed on other economic and trade buildings. Additional income would be really nice though. Is there anything to this? What do you recommend?

5. Since the Greek Cities were at war at multiple fronts, I took advantage of the situation, also declared war on them and took Salonae at the Adriatic Sea. Greece is still getting crushed on several fronts, especially by the Macedonians, but they completely refuse to agree on a cease-fire, even after around 10 turns, offering them a treaty every turn. They simply state that they can't offer anything in return. Being in war with me doesn't make any sense for them, they certainly got other things to handle. Is there a minimum number of turns that has to pass after the start of a war, before they agree on a truce? Is their refusal due to the very hard campaign setting? Can I influence their stands in any way?

6. Among the AI factions on the other hand, signing and breraking treaties seems all to common. Several factions like Rome and Macedonia for instance declared war and then cease-fire in consecutive turns several times. Other factions are switching back and forth as crazy as well. Is this intended? Seems pretty strange to me...

7. Is there any reliability on diplomatic agreements? I'm allied with Boii, Sarmatia, Belgae and the Averni. Will they stand by my side if I get attacked? Or does this just mean, that it's less likely that they'll attack me?

8. Eventually I will have to go to war with Macedonia. Can I rely on them to be rational actors and expect them to not attack me as long as they fight Greece, Pergamon and Rome? Does it influence my relation to Macedonia if I stay at war with Greece so that we have a common enemy? Although they have grown too large for my liking already, I would prefer to go after Scythia first in that case. I'm really afraid of the Macedonian phalanx and the fact that they got more than double the military of mine, so that I definitly want to avoid a two fronts war. Once the conflict started, would you rather recommend conquering their poorly defended cities at my border first, to lower their capability to produce units, or would you rather go after their big stacks in the field? Damn I in my pants when I think of their phalanx! I remember those to be horrible to defeat.

9. Do I get a treasure or something like that if I conquer a capital, like the one of Scythia? I kind of remember something like that. Will that former capital remain to be an economic powerhouse? Would be an additional reason to go for Scythia first...

It would be really great if someone of the more experienced players could give me a few answers. Thanks a lot for that in advance. What a great mod indeed!

Icon6 Re: RS2.6 questions & answers

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Uli83 View Post
    After not having played Roma Surrectum for a couple of years, I recently downloaded the newest version, upgraded it to 2.6 and installed the quicker battle files since I remembered that to be an issue. Playing an One-Turn-Campaign on very hard/very hard as Dacia things are starting out quite well. After 30+ turns I control 9 regions (starting out from 3) each governed by a general/family member, make around 14k+ a turn, usually construct buildings in every city every turn and got 2 full stack armies plus reinforcements in the field. Still a few questions arose so far:

1. I hardly ever lose a battle (I got to admit that I pause the battle once right at the start, to give initial orders), still the upgrading of units is extremly slow. Usually nothing happens, even in the case heroic victories. Sometimes units even get downgraded. Is this just due to the very hard battles setting?

2. Most of the time when there is another army nearby, at the beginning of the battle a 'will reinforcements be delayed?' message pops up. I don't remember this feature. Does this actually mean, that the other army will show up eventually, if the battle takes long enough, or will that army never enter the battle in any case?

3. This new 'Settlement Loyalty I-IV' trait is extremly annoying. It basically makes setting taxes at very high, which I always used to do, impossible. Is there any way to get around this? If I swap around generals from and to my capital for a while to be able to take in that aditional cash, how long does it take for the generals/family members to lose this negative trait?

4. I've read on the forums that the Tax I etc. buildings have a severely negative impact in the long run, although the description text of the building only indicates a happyness penalty of 30% if I remember that right. I could easily sustain this in my core cities. Still I haven't built these so far and focussed on other economic and trade buildings. Additional income would be really nice though. Is there anything to this? What do you recommend?

5. Since the Greek Cities were at war at multiple fronts, I took advantage of the situation, also declared war on them and took Salonae at the Adriatic Sea. Greece is still getting crushed on several fronts, especially by the Macedonians, but they completely refuse to agree on a cease-fire, even after around 10 turns, offering them a treaty every turn. They simply state that they can't offer anything in return. Being in war with me doesn't make any sense for them, they certainly got other things to handle. Is there a minimum number of turns that has to pass after the start of a war, before they agree on a truce? Is their refusal due to the very hard campaign setting? Can I influence their stands in any way?

6. Among the AI factions on the other hand, signing and breraking treaties seems all to common. Several factions like Rome and Macedonia for instance declared war and then cease-fire in consecutive turns several times. Other factions are switching back and forth as crazy as well. Is this intended? Seems pretty strange to me...

7. Is there any reliability on diplomatic agreements? I'm allied with Boii, Sarmatia, Belgae and the Averni. Will they stand by my side if I get attacked? Or does this just mean, that it's less likely that they'll attack me?

8. Eventually I will have to go to war with Macedonia. Can I rely on them to be rational actors and expect them to not attack me as long as they fight Greece, Pergamon and Rome? Does it influence my relation to Macedonia if I stay at war with Greece so that we have a common enemy? Although they have grown too large for my liking already, I would prefer to go after Scythia first in that case. I'm really afraid of the Macedonian phalanx and the fact that they got more than double the military of mine, so that I definitly want to avoid a two fronts war. Once the conflict started, would you rather recommend conquering their poorly defended cities at my border first, to lower their capability to produce units, or would you rather go after their big stacks in the field? Damn I in my pants when I think of their phalanx! I remember those to be horrible to defeat.

9. Do I get a treasure or something like that if I conquer a capital, like the one of Scythia? I kind of remember something like that. Will that former capital remain to be an economic powerhouse? Would be an additional reason to go for Scythia first...

It would be really great if someone of the more experienced players could give me a few answers. Thanks a lot for that in advance. What a great mod indeed!
    First let me tell you; the Very Hard Campaign is bugged. (Hard-coded. Modders can't touch it.) It's easier than playing on Hard Campaign. Sorry. Thirty turns, ouch. I knew a guy played 76 turns before he found out VH campaign was bugged. Didn't stop him though, played over 50 more turns before starting anew.

There's no law that says you have to quit playing with the bugged VH campaign. Play it, get use to it, feel it, grope it, continuing until you decide its time to move on to the Hard Campaign setting.

Answer to questions;

1. Possibly, but it can happen at any difficulty settings.

2.They may or may not.

3. If you have a governor who keeps his city taxes very-high too often, he will get unpopular as a city administrator, a historical touch. If a governor is present in a city, reduce taxes to high for the most part.

4. Tax buildings are best later in the game as your cities grow in wealth, happiness and law.

5.Unfortunately, the RTW diplomacy is almost/virtually useless. Do not rely on it, except to buy, exchange or sell maps. EDIT(Trade treaties are useful) Alliances, (I don't bother) hold only so long, as I recall, and if you can get an ally to join a war against an enemy, don't expect more than a post card, then you won't be too disappointed when you don't get the card.
    The 'Forced Diplomacy' option is included in RS2. If you feel a faction would accept a treaty under the dire circumstances you've put them in, then use the Forced Diplomacy option. Although, the forced treaty may not last long, so be prepared for 'Total War'. They don't want peace, then send them all to Hades, but that's just me.

6. See answer 5.

7. See answer 5.

8. See answer 5. And yes, you should be afraid of the Macedonian phalanxes if you don't know the best tactics against them. As for taking weaker cities first or take on the juggernauts of the mighty Macedonians to gain richer prizes, well, do you want to live forever?

9. As you know, sacking any heavily populated city will gain you a lot of Denari. Being a capital city usually gets it some economic boost compared to other cities. There are treasure cities, but I don't recall how much more denari you get for taking them.
    I feel its good to let my troops sack and enslave cities often, but that's just me. I'm sure it helps morale. Mine at least.

I'm sure a few more members will come along sooner or later and give you their take on your questions.
    Last edited by stackero; January 12, 2015 at 12:52 AM.
    Need your Rome itch scratched. Head for Total War: eras Forum. Your Empire Beckons.
    RS2,EB1,RTR,SPQR,Diadochi,RTH,Troy,IBFD,Hegemonia City States,77BC FRRE,more.
    EB2 needs modders. click The EBII Recruitment thread, mod Medieval 2 for ancient eras.
    (Now a community service announcement) Feel you're being cheated and deceived by bad game releases? Let us agree, no preorders from any company known to release incomplete games. Wait for the game to come out to decide. This will eventually cut down on bad releases and reduce forums that pit fellow gamers against one another.

1.only infantry have that problem,and its on all difficulty's

2.you can change it in the preferences on the launcher.look for unlimited men on battlefield,set it to true.dunno if they reenforce when set to fasle

3.setting taxes on high with governor will do,setting taxes on verry high with no governor inside the city is also an option

4.tax buildings in core regions is ok,but in newly conquered ones is best to destroy them for the happiness bonus

5.see stackero's answer^^^
    i use force diplomacy on factions that im at war with that are not on my borders,or late game with factions at my border that i wanna keep alive for later wars.in my roman campaign i did FD with cimbrii that have 3 city's left with no army's to defend,had peace with them for 50turns or so,than they attacked with 6 stacks,it keeps my late game fun.but don't use it for your own advantage.use it to help the AI

6.i noticed that also

7.sometimes they are,but don't expect any help.or long time peace.be prepared to be backstabed

8.phalanxes are easy to defeat,try to encircle them with some good infantry and get them out of their formation,drawn them out of the line,retreat your men,and use cav and slingers to attack them in the rear when you have singled out a unit.
    if they don't get out of formation,just block and flank with slingers and cav.but suffer heavy losses
    when i was fighting against seleucid stacks of doom i learned it the hard way to try other tactics than just frontal attack with infantry.

9.i only sack city's.war is dirty and the soldiers need their spoils of war also.
    city's with treasury in it tend to give higher income over time than other city's.