Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Default Re: Help with family tree!

Gosh, Scipio gens is popular ! This is actually my tree family in my new campaign on RSIII, they have always been in fact... Unless this time, I've experienced a long period on the edge of nervous breakdown when I checked my "Announcements" report at the beginning of every turn, during 40 turns or so.
    Indeed, Publius gave three sons to Rome, great, except that on these three, one is still single at the age of 50, the second's wife is 60 and finally the third just gave me an heir just when his wife was about to turn 55 !!

No need to tell you how much Tiberius Cornelius Scipio, age 5 by now, is the most valuable treasure of the Empire, adulated and celebrated from Mirobriga to Alexandria !!
    The fact is I was worried sick about that "unfertility matter" especially because the three sons had all "Fertile" and "Greek Physician" as characteristics, and that beside them other families are horny rabbits !! (I must have like 10 or more Longus & 10 Varro to come)

So am I just the most unlucky guy (you should be glad to finally get one you will tell me... but still !) Is the birth cycle is totally random ? Is there any way to favorise one familly on an other ?
    Longus men are administrators, Scipio had always been at the borders of the Empire, but still, remaining for a few turns in some cities, does it matter ? Is the fact that a lot of Maximus men -and previous heirs until I get to Scipio line (so entire family sometimes : Nepos line is extinguished for example) - "accidently" lost their lives in sea has its importance ?

Is Tiberius will inherit his family pawn... All eyes of Romans are staring anxiously at the carrycot.

Finally I'm wondering if having too much Generals (no Family Members) reduce the chances for all couples to procreate ?

Default Re: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

I really need some advice on dealing with the Seleukids. Just started a new Pontus campaign and enjoyed it very much at first, especially the superb unit designs and the beautiful soundtrack, but after the SE declaring war on me (their ally...) around turn 15, I'm basically stuck with doing the same repetitive, boring chore every single turn: 2-4 full stacks of levy pikemen and thureophoroi make their way towards my borders, I wipe them out, repeat ad nauseam.

The Ptolemies are utterly incompetent and the Parthians spend the entire campaign doing exactly nothing. Now the former is just bad luck, but the latter is something I've noticed in every campaign I have played so far (Rome, Ptolemies and Macedonia). Is there some way to maybe goad them into attacking Seleukos' spawn from behind?

It's a RP focused campaign, so I'd prefer some way that doesn't include "just conquer their entire territory". I recall one of the new game hints saying that you should destroy the enemy's treasure building, but when I conquered Antiocheia by chance the icon was greyed out. Is there a console command to destroy a building?

Quote Originally Posted by White Dwarf View Post
    but after the SE declaring war on me (their ally...) around turn 15, I'm basically stuck with doing the same repetitive, boring chore every single turn: 2-4 full stacks of levy pikemen and thureophoroi make their way towards my borders, I wipe them out, repeat ad nauseam.
    Well this is not exactly why I hate fighting the Silvershield Empire... but yes, it's to be expected if they are at Full Power and you have their undivided attention.

The Ptolemies are utterly incompetent and the Parthians spend the entire campaign doing exactly nothing. Now the former is just bad luck, but the latter is something I've noticed in every campaign I have played so far (Rome, Ptolemies and Macedonia). Is there some way to maybe goad them into attacking Seleukos' spawn from behind?
    The AIs do seem to like backing off on anyone who is fighting the player. I've seen my allies (Armenia) attack them but... it seems mostly to be because they can grab settlements from behind. Which is to say, after you've done all the work and just can't take them fast enough... and then your ally decides to fight you instead.

It's a RP focused campaign, so I'd prefer some way that doesn't include "just conquer their entire territory". I recall one of the new game hints saying that you should destroy the enemy's treasure building, but when I conquered Antiocheia by chance the icon was greyed out. Is there a console command to destroy a building?
    The hints are wrong.

Seleucids have two treasuries, in Antiocheia but also Seleucia. If you have both of these (and yes, now you have to take-and-hold), it helps a lot. Besides Rome, a single Seleucid treasury equals-to-doubles the effect of any other faction. So you need to make sure they don't have either of those settlements. So RP a good reason to be holding that (Seleucia is somewhere pretty deep in their territory too, joy)

But to some extent, being the AI and having lots of settlements means it will keep coming. Since they were fighting you from early on I can only guess the AI hadn't build up barracks to begin spamming Silvershield stacks at you. But if it "only" has 20+ settlements, Treasury or not, it will be able to afford those Levy Pikemen and Thureophoroi as they are very very cheap.
    Last edited by Alavaria; June 12, 2016 at 04:35 PM.

Hello there,

is there any Fewer stacks submod available which is working on RSIII?
    Last edited by Medieval Knight; June 13, 2016 at 05:27 PM.

Are any or all EDU versions in Important_Stuff up to date with RS III's changed unit sizes and missile ranges?

@dvk
    In particular, how did your personal version of Rome 0-turn affect combat? From what I can see you halved attack, shield and armor values, beside increasing the unit costs. You also altered some morale, fire_delay and charge_dist values, and soldier's mass. How did that work out?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I updated all of the EDU versions (as far as I know ) that are in or were included in the important_stuff folders. Some were updated ONLY to correct mistakes...and nothing done to stats. Others had stats changed only where there was a mistake.
    The old RS2.6 stats are pretty much 'as they were' except for mistakes that I fixed. The folder 'Orig_RS30_Stats' were done by 'EmoDude', and I included them just as an option. I never really had time to fully test.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I updated all of the EDU versions (as far as I know ) that are in or were included in the important_stuff folders. Some were updated ONLY to correct mistakes...and nothing done to stats. Others had stats changed only where there was a mistake.
    The old RS2.6 stats are pretty much 'as they were' except for mistakes that I fixed. The folder 'Orig_RS30_Stats' were done by 'EmoDude', and I included them just as an option. I never really had time to fully test.
    The missile ranges and the artillery/siege units sizes seem to be those from 2.6; I just compared default Rome 0-turn with several of the optional versions in Notepad++.

Also, what about my second question - any particular observations of the combat performance under the EDU in Important_Stuff/DVK901_Versions/Roman_0_Turn?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Quote Originally Posted by Medieval Knight View Post
    Hello there,

is there any Fewer stacks submod available which is working on RSIII?
    Take a look at you RS III/Data/_IMPORTANT_STUFF folder. There should be EDU files there in separate folders, named by their specifics. However, I also have a question on these EDUs. dvk mentioned that they are by and large updated for RS III. As far as I know, changing the EDU (if only unit stats, prices are changed) is save-game compatible. Is that really so? Even if they are SG compatible, is there some quick way to find out what changes they bring to the game? Like what exactly does 'fewer stacks' mean or 'slightly fewer stacks'? I understand there is no exact way to explain these, but how about 'Fewer stacks - 1/3 of default stacks' or something similar? Would be of great help for all those who would want to try EDUs without having to play many turns to 'feel' the actual effects of the changes.

I also saw some EDUs are only for Roman campaign? Are they interchangeable or only for Rome?

Patrician

The alternate EDU's all do pretty much what the small description says. By means of higher cost, for example, there are 'fewer stacks'. By means of higher lethality, there are 'faster battles'. By means of raising the cost less, there are 'slightly fewer stacks'. I have not tried them all, however, so you almost have to try them to see what the effects will be. And yes, they should be save game compat.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Just want to make sure.
    Where do I place the Alternate player formations file.

Do I place it in the Regular "Data" folder or do I place it in the faction folder I want to play as.

In addition the "fewer stacks, slightly shorter battles" EDU files. I remember them having issues and not working. Have they been fixed so that we can use them ? And just to be sure where do I place them. Do I put the file in the Regular "Data" folder or i nthe faction folder I want to play as

Thank You
    Last edited by century x; June 25, 2016 at 11:43 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Patrician

In both cases, I would put them in the data folder of the faction you wish to play. I made the same corrections to all of those files that I did to the others, so they 'should' work. Please let me know if they do not.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

How does one bring back the campaign map Fog of War? Who's idea was to turn it off by default anyway?

I tried enabling it in the launcher but that has not change anything. The console scarcely works likewise. Help?

EDIT:

Scratch that, it did work after I restarted my campaign. However, Playing Rome One Turn I noticed a stunning income of 17k after turn 1!

In earlier versions of the mod Rome started with a monetary deficit, which was awesome. Why the change, what gives? Any way to have it like that? 17k is way much and destroys any sense of strategy or purpose for the economy, making that entire aspect of gameplay moot. I can just pump units and not worry about a thing, which is an issue that plagues far too many mods, and I quite frankly find it gamebreaking.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice that you may have.
    Last edited by YourStepDad; June 27, 2016 at 02:45 PM.

fableofsea's Avatar Civis

No don't pump out unit after unit. That's a sure fire way of ruining your income. Yes at first you should build up about two legions and take back Italy after the rebellion, but afterwords consolidate your holdings and disband excess units. Then move out in a direction of your choosing, my personal favorite way of expanding is in Africa and then into Spain. After that it's all on the tides of battle and certain nations.
    Party hard and pillage!

I played RSII on RTW a year or so ago(and loved it, warts and all), before it(and all my other old games) got locked out by the "must run as administrator" problem. I now have a new computer(windows 8) and am planning on installing RSIII onto the steam version of Alexander(since it is apparently the most functional with steam and has superior AI). I have an older .exe of alexander, should I substitute it for the current Alexander .exe or is that solution only nescessary with BI and RTW?

Patrician

Yes. The Steam version of the exe will not work.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Quote Originally Posted by fableofsea View Post
    No don't pump out unit after unit. That's a sure fire way of ruining your income. Yes at first you should build up about two legions and take back Italy after the rebellion, but afterwords consolidate your holdings and disband excess units. Then move out in a direction of your choosing, my personal favorite way of expanding is in Africa and then into Spain. After that it's all on the tides of battle and certain nations.
    What income, man? You read what I said, right?

Mindblowing 17 thousand income per turn! With no economy buildings built at that. 10k is the upper high limit for large empires, and even that is too much. Double that is just not good design. My income will not be ruined, if only..

What changed since 2.6, where Rome had the hardest start of all factions and had to disband units and meddle with taxes at turn 1? Now that was interesting. Any way to have it back?

If any devs could elaborate and help me out here by informing me I would very much appreciate it.
    This as it is is pretty gamebreaking for me and makes me want to go play something else, which is a shame because RS is otherwise so damn good.

I'm confused. Whats theb difference, if any, between RS2.6 and RS3? Are they the same thing?

Is RS 3 a new version?

If so, is there a list of changes between them somewhere?

I am confuzzled.

Patrician

I do not recall making any changes to economic settings except to CUT them in all one-turn campaigns. The major changes in RSIII were to settlements and various fixes of bugs and mistakes.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I am indeed playing Rome One Turn. What does CUT them precisely mean? 17k during the first turn is not exactly intended, is it?

Hello,
    I have installed 2.5 then Roma Serrectum III in a "Roma Serrectum III" folder in /Games/, and then put patch 3.1, but for some reason in my launcher Athens and the new factions won't show up and when I start a carthage campaign the "Carthaginian ccampaign with ALEX", it crashes saying something to do with Alexander.exe.
    Other people probably asked this question so forgive me for this waste of your time.
    Thanks for your help