Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Default Re: RS2.6\RSIII questions & answers

Quote Originally Posted by OJ33DA View Post
    In the launcher, when selecting your faction, go to the ‘multiplayer’ tab, click the drop-down, and custom battles should be an option.
    Thanks! I just tried that and it works great!

Tiro

Im reinstalling rsiii with steam: "So, if you must play RSIII in Steam, you will need a copy of the RTW Alexander expansion."
    Worked so far but im intrigued with that line in the description, put previously: "If you use Alexander, you'll have to look in the '_Important_stuff' folder and copy an Alexander version of descr_formations_ai.txt into the data folder."

Is that a required step then? I guess i can just copy paste the bi and rome exe and just use those via the launcher tho.

Hello everyone and happy new year to y'all. I have the answer for those who use Steam and wish to play RS III without a single crash four countless hours. So let's begin.

(Remember, steam users)

1. First install your Rome Total War Gold
    2. Then Alexander.
    3. Open your Rome Total War (not barbarian) and do this in your settings; please, this can be different for any computer depending on your specifications, you put all high or medium, don't change your resolutions also stubborn people.

4. Open your Alexander and do the same thing

ps: put a mark also in Subtitles (forgot to take a photo)
    5. Now you go to your steam > steamapps >common > Alexander folder and do this

5.1 and put here inside the Rome total war Gold and say yes to all to substitute

5. Now donwload http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?728838 the 2.5, RSIII and the 3.1 patch
    6. Now treate this folder saying "RS3" like this

7. Click in the 2.5 roma surrectum II and in the destination (when you want to install do this)

8. After that, click on the RSIII upgrade and same

9. patch 3.1, same crap...

10. copy everything inside RS3 like this

10.1 and insert here

and it should be exactly like mine; say yes to all.
    11. delete that one you have (you probably have the one with the icon)

12. and go here

and you put the shortcut on the desktop; remove the shortcut part, it needs to be like Roma surrectum II
    13. Now click and do exactly like this, the same I have here

put your steam username tho, press on save and click Play, don't ing click on preferences, just post marian reforms.
    14.and this is the part where most crashes occur because the MOD IS NOT ACCORDING WITH RSIII PREFERENCES, BUT WITH ROME TOTAL WAR GOLD AND ALEXANDER, THAT WHY YOU NEED FIRST TO PUT UR SPECIFIC SPECIFICATIONS ON ROME TOTAL WAR GOLD AND ALEXANDER IN ORDER TO AVOID CRASHES; topic 3.

14.1 put also a mark in subtitles too.
    15. do this also

16 Optional

And now you are good to go and play. Bye

Senator

Gonna try it, thank you and have some rep!

Hey, im playing macedon first play through in 5 years think im doing ok but cant figure out what i need to build to get siege equipment and higher class troops like i have my companion cav and hypapists but cant retrain them or recruit more can anyone tell me what i need to do in order to recruit these units?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Cerbers View Post
    Hey, im playing macedon first play through in 5 years think im doing ok but cant figure out what i need to build to get siege equipment and higher class troops like i have my companion cav and hypapists but cant retrain them or recruit more can anyone tell me what i need to do in order to recruit these units?
    In Pella you already have the Councillors Chambers Government building to start with, if you are playing 0-turn you need to build the Supply of Army Rations building to give you access to the Successor Army Base building followed by the Successor ELITE Army Base...if you are playing 1-turn you should already have the Successor Army Base in the construction overview,. Your other settlements need to have population of 12000 to give access to the Councillors Chambers building. You will ofc have to raise the necessary funds to build these constructions Hope this helps
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Senator

I've noticed that units do stop becoming available to retrain at some points. I have Achaian Elite Phalangites, for example, that used to be recruitable from Corinth but now are not. There's a number of units - infantry, archers and cavalry alike - that stop being available. Perhaps because other units become available and so the unit limit is reached, so others get taken out, seemingly at random (but I could be wrong).

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin View Post
    I've noticed that units do stop becoming available to retrain at some points. I have Achaian Elite Phalangites, for example, that used to be recruitable from Corinth but now are not. There's a number of units - infantry, archers and cavalry alike - that stop being available. Perhaps because other units become available and so the unit limit is reached, so others get taken out, seemingly at random (but I could be wrong).
    Yes, in some cases, upgrading your barracks might remove certain units... though usually it's lower tier units.

How many units are recruitable in that settlement? If you go over the limit, I can't remember if the game just starts kicking some out of the recruitment list (or, well, crashes)

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Alavaria View Post
    Yes, in some cases, upgrading your barracks might remove certain units... though usually it's lower tier units.

How many units are recruitable in that settlement? If you go over the limit, I can't remember if the game just starts kicking some out of the recruitment list (or, well, crashes)
    Interestingly, the next tier of barracks seems to allow them to be recruited again - so I'm building it, will see if it actually allows them, if it kicks another one out, or nothing at all.

Anyone know how to mod the upkeep of the units? so that neither me or the AI can just spam constant armies

Hello for RS developers. Just want ask about an one specific faction which you converted to other faction. I mean Senate to Boii. In my mod I change all txt faction where need change "senate" name to other faction. How you made Boii to game dont consist him as senate. Because in strat txt I write for "senate" (changed) faction to was war condition at some faction but in the game they are anyway neutral with the new faction (which instead senate) and the game crushes after 2 turns. What a problem?
    Last edited by Lucii_Varen; February 10, 2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucii_Varen View Post
    Hello for RS developers. Just want ask about an one specific faction which you converted to other faction. I mean Senate to Boii. In my mod I change all txt faction where need change "senate" name to other faction. How you made Boii to game dont consist him as senate. Because in strat txt I write for "senate" (changed) faction to was war condition at some faction but in the game they are anyway neutral with the new faction (which instead senate) and the game crushes after 2 turns. What a problem?
    No idea I'm afraid - was done long, long ago. And I do not now believe there is likely to be any further development of RS - but who knows.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    No idea I'm afraid - was done long, long ago. And I do not now believe there is likely to be any further development of RS - but who knows.
    at least your assumtions? However anyway thanks.

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

This is far more complicated. Changing the faction's names is not enough, you have to change culture types, strat and battle models, units, traits and ancillaries, etc, etc, etc...
    Maybe a look in the modding section would be useful for you.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    This is far more complicated. Changing the faction's names is not enough, you have to change culture types, strat and battle models, units, traits and ancillaries, etc, etc, etc...
    Maybe a look in the modding section would be useful for you.
    Good luck.
    I already said i change all necessary txt files. even in traits has been deleted all traits about population on senate and people. Yes I have compared EB and RSII txt, all which were changed in 2009. Game will be crushed on launching if I not changed even one txt files. Problem is game crushed after 2 turn, faction is playable and without bugs. Well thanks for answering.

Senator

Historical related question for you gents, related to the units in RS. The usual pike phalanx in game tends to have a dude on the right that instead of being a usual officer/musician/standard bearer, is instead modelled very similarly to the usual phalanx pikeman, but with a much shorter spear. I'm wondering what this guy is/what his role is, why he has a shorter spear and why he's placed there?

And I guess, in addition to that, what's the difference between the two different types of officer model? As in, not the generals/family members, but the two officers you can get for Greek units.

I already said i change all necessary txt files. even in traits has been deleted all traits about population on senate and people. Yes I have compared EB and RSII txt, all which were changed in 2009. Game will be crushed on launching if I not changed even one txt files. Problem is game crushed after 2 turn, faction is playable and without bugs. Well thanks for answering.
    What about the names? Long time ago I "played" with RS1.61 and had a severe issue with some names and there was a similar situation you described: the game crushed after 1-2 turns. After struggling a lot I realized I have a problem with the names, and fixed it.

Playing my first campaign with Ptolemaic Empire and absolutely loving it, except for one thing: Bribery.

The seleucids were successful in bribing my settlements Side, Halikarnassos and the other city in asia minor/anatolia/cilicia and I had to take them back. They were constantly trying to do it again and my assasins failed killing the diplomat multiple times but I was able to cripple their economy in the war so their attempts stopped for the time.

Many turns later and I'm suddenly in war with Pergamon who immediately were successful in bribing Side. Of course I can take it back again but I would rather be able to somehow turn off or remove their ability. The whole thing about marching armies back and forth and repeating these battles are not fun, breaks the immersion and makes the game more tedious instead of challenging.

The settlement Side is at a 155% happiness without an governor but they still are able to bribe it over and over again when i reload the save and I wan't to remove the diplomat/heavily reduce the ability to bribe. I don't use the mechanic myself so I dont care if it applies to everyone.

How do I achieve this? I've been looking in the forums for hours but can't find a good solution. I've been poking around in the folders but I'm not experienced in this and actually have no idea what I'am doing, any suggestions?

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by suldyr View Post
    Playing my first campaign with Ptolemaic Empire and absolutely loving it, except for one thing: Bribery.

The seleucids were successful in bribing my settlements Side, Halikarnassos and the other city in asia minor/anatolia/cilicia and I had to take them back. They were constantly trying to do it again and my assasins failed killing the diplomat multiple times but I was able to cripple their economy in the war so their attempts stopped for the time.

Many turns later and I'm suddenly in war with Pergamon who immediately were successful in bribing Side. Of course I can take it back again but I would rather be able to somehow turn off or remove their ability. The whole thing about marching armies back and forth and repeating these battles are not fun, breaks the immersion and makes the game more tedious instead of challenging.

The settlement Side is at a 155% happiness without an governor but they still are able to bribe it over and over again when i reload the save and I wan't to remove the diplomat/heavily reduce the ability to bribe. I don't use the mechanic myself so I dont care if it applies to everyone.

How do I achieve this? I've been looking in the forums for hours but can't find a good solution. I've been poking around in the folders but I'm not experienced in this and actually have no idea what I'am doing, any suggestions?
    Try putting a Diplomat in the settlements with weak or no Governors, this helps to protect them, the more influence the Diplomat has the stronger the protection
    The same with Spy's, especially in a newly conquered large settlements, his "line of sight" exposes enemy Spies and generally they are found and executed or at least they escape without causing any unrest, they also expose assassins who are then no longer "under cover"
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 18, 2019 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added info
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Try putting a Diplomat in the settlements with weak or no Governors, this helps to protect them, the more influence the Diplomat has the stronger the protection
    The same with Spy's, especially in a newly conquered large settlements, his "line of sight" exposes enemy Spies and generally they are found and executed or at least they escape without causing any unrest, they also expose assassins who are then no longer "under cover"
    In addition of Saul's advices: use assassins and spies extensively! Kill all those basterds, especially enemies but neutrals and even allies, who trespassing your borders. High-level diplomats are hard to kill, but not impossible. Highly skilled spies are almost impossible to kill, but keepeing few (2-3) same-levelled your own spies in settlements helps a lot to exposing/killing them. I'm used to train spies on free people settlements. Regarding to assassins: in my campaigns knives never rest!