Thread: CTD

Default CTD

I know that I'm very late to the party, but after years of playing Total War games (been playing since Rome released) I finally decided to give into the hype surrounding the Total War modding community (starting with Third Age for Med 2 back when it was vers 1.2). Well, the other day I decided to try out the legendary DarthMod for Rome. I followed the instructions and installed the mod (for STEAM) correctly, started a campaign and was enjoying it quite a lot. However, after a battle against some rebels the game crashed. I came back to the forums for some investigating and discovered that I had forgotten to turn off the automatic updates. Assuming that was the problem, I did a fresh install of everything, and started a new campaign. As soon as the first loading screen was half way done...CTD. I reinstalled again...CTD. And again... CTD. Virus scans, verifying system cache, fresh downloads of the installer... CTD, CTD, CTD, CTD, CTD. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. I know it's probably my fault for overlooking some seemingly minor thing. Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: Actually, after further review, perhaps this forum was the wrong place to request assistance. Seeing as how 26 different people have viewed this post, and none have replied (along with several other posts I have looked at by other people with 100+ views and zero replies) I suppose this community is just not interested in assisting people. I apologize for wasting your time.
    Last edited by Nastrael; July 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM.

Default Re: CTD

If you're not using any other mods, then it might either be a corrupt install or something on the line of that. I use Darthmod on steam and it works perfectly fine.

However, you need to do a REAL clean re-install. See, Steam will sometimes leave files behind when you delete the file cache for that game. You need to go into your steam/steamapps/common/Rome Total War Gold folder. "Delete Local Content" on steam first, then delete this folder. This ensures you have a COMPLETELY clean install.
    If you've been doing a bunch of mods, it's possible you got Roma Surrectum, which is not good friends when it comes to running it WITH Darthmod.
    That's what I can gather from this single post.

Thank you for replying.
    I did all of that. I don't have any other mods for Rome TW. Only for Medieval 2. I'll try it again though. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edit: Progress-
    Uninstalled Rome: TW Gold and deleted file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.
    Installed Rome: TW Gold to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.
    Verified System Game Cache.
    Disabled Automatic Updates for Rome: TW on Steam.
    Deleted old Installer for DarthMod.
    Downloaded DathMod Installer.
    Installed DarthMod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold
    Started up Rome:TW with DarthMod
    Created Campaign: Julii VH/VH Imperial Campaign
    Crashed to Desktop during Campaign Loading Screen.
    Last edited by Nastrael; July 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastrael View Post
    Thank you for replying.
    I did all of that. I don't have any other mods for Rome TW. Only for Medieval 2. I'll try it again though. I'll let you know how it works out.

Edit: Progress-
    Uninstalled Rome: TW Gold and deleted file from C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.
    Installed Rome: TW Gold to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common.
    Verified System Game Cache.
    Disabled Automatic Updates for Rome: TW on Steam.
    Deleted old Installer for DarthMod.
    Downloaded DathMod Installer.
    Installed DarthMod: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Gold
    Started up Rome:TW with DarthMod
    Created Campaign: Julii VH/VH Imperial Campaign
    Crashed to Desktop during Campaign Loading Screen.
    Have you tried one of the provincial Campaigns? It IS odd to see it on the Imperial Campaign though. Try the Europa_270 BC Campaign, it features a bigger map and makes use of more darthmod-ish faction stuff. It seems like the natural campaign. It also has the 3 houses. I like the Brutus Family personally

Quote Originally Posted by Alexbond451 View Post
    Have you tried one of the provincial Campaigns? It IS odd to see it on the Imperial Campaign though. Try the Europa_270 BC Campaign, it features a bigger map and makes use of more darthmod-ish faction stuff. It seems like the natural campaign. It also has the 3 houses. I like the Brutus Family personally
    I tried both and it crashed both times, however I did manage to get into the game on the Imperial campaign once before it crashed, however all the icons (public order smiley face, income icon, financial icon, end turn icon, etc, were all replaced with bright green faction symbols (green Carthange emblem for public order etc).