Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Default Re: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Hi guys hoping someone can help! Downloaded the mod into my new folder. I have the steam version of the game and I've done the steps like setting is as run as administrator, adding the launch path in properties but I'm either getting a fatal flaw or the loading screen barely launches and a quit to desktop, no error messages or anything. Anyone got any tips for now?
    All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost, The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost, From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows will spring, Renewed will be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

Henry X's Avatar Protector Domesticus

So, I changed the resolution back to 1600x900, and it looks that while the game does alt tab out, it does not keep going through the turn while away (I know Denmark isn't that large).

Do I need to change the cfg about #windowed=false and #borderless_window=false ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Jung was right View Post
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Tabbing out pauses the game as far as I know.

Having a hash sign ( # ) in front of a line means it isn't processed.

What exactly is your problem? Please describe in detail.

I remember before I switched to the steam version from the disc, I could tab out while the AI was taking its turn and the game would still play while I dicked around on the internet. Such seems to not be the case anymore.
    We just don't get films which accurately portray military decision making like Dr. Strangelove anymore these days.

Blog Entries

It may have to do with the steam version and\or the latest update.

I have got the disc version - let me check to confirm if it works there.

Edit: I Alt tabbed into my browser and in the background the game was happily processing the AI turn til the end.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 19, 2015 at 11:55 PM.

Exactly. I don't know if the Steam version automatically pauses (seems to be the case) or if I am some sort of inept fool, but it doesn't work for mir. I'll have to try again here.

EDIT: Huh, the cfg isn't the way I remember it being. Changed the two hashtaged lines from before back to true and removed the hashtag. Will retry and report back with results.

EDIT: Nope, not doing. Sicily is still going through their turn, and should be through at least Denmark if it was playing in the background. Cfg reverted back to this also.

#windowed=false
    #borderless_window=false
    Last edited by Henry X; August 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM.

Blog Entries

Mods in my disc version are always windowed because it makes it easy for modding. That setting might be necessary for the game to continue processing when tabbed out. Meaning you have to have at least the windowed = 1 line in the CFG file. Adding the borderless_window = 1 line should theoretically take of a full screen windowed version but I always add the two resolution lines with my desktop's native setting. The full set looks like this:

[video]
    movies = 0 # Who needs intro movies?
    windowed = 1
    borderless_window = 1
    battle_resolution = 1920 1080
    campaign_resolution = 1920 1080
    tga_width = 1920 # width of screenshot
    tga_aspect = 1.78 #width\height ratio

Ours' doesn't look very similar it would appear.

[launcher]
    kingdomsDir=..\..
    swapMenuBackground=true
    swapMenuMusic=true
    swapBAI=true
    autoLocateLogFile=true
    autoBorderlessMode=true
    steamCheck=true
    firstRun=false
    steam=false
    [features]
    mod=mods/SS6.3
    [log]
    to=mods/SS6.3/system.log.txt
    level=* error
    ;level=* trace
    [io]
    file_first=true
    [video]
    no_background_fmv=true
    grass_distance=9000
    unit_detail=high
    movies=false
    #windowed=false
    #borderless_window=false
    [game]
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield=1
    label_settlements=1
    event_cutscenes=0
    allusers=1
    micromanage_all_settlements=1
    advisor_verbosity=0
    [misc]
    show_hud_date=true
    #remove the # in the next line if you want launcher to bypass straight to the last save when you start mtw2
    #bypass_to_strategy_save=true

Blog Entries

Change\add as below. The cache entry should help speed up things.

Code:
    [video]
    no_background_fmv=true
    grass_distance=9000
    unit_detail=high
    movies=false
    #windowed=false
    #borderless_window=false
    windowed=true
    borderless_window=true

[io]
    file_first=true
    disable_file_cache = 1
    I am surprised there are no hotseat settings, maybe the UI elements are not provided?

Code:
    [multiplayer]
    playable = 1
    factions = 1

[hotseat]
    passwords = 0                    ## use individual passwords for players
    turns = 0                        ## force separate human faction turns (including diplomacy) in hotseat campaign
    autoresolve_battles = 1            ## force autoresolve for all battles in hotseat campaign
    disable_console = 0                ## disable console in hotseat campaign.
    disable_papal_elections = 1        ## disable voting in papal elections in hotseat campaign (only first valid human faction votes)
    save_prefs = 1                    ## force relevant hotseat options to be saved with game.
    save_config = 1                    ## save config file in save dir containing information about next players turn
    update_ai_camera = 1            ## enable camera updates during ai turn in hotseat campaign
    validate_diplomacy = 1            ## enable diplomacy validation for incoming propositions
    scroll = 0                        ## show start turn scroll in hotseat campaign
    admin_password = password         ## specify password for administrator access to the dev console when console disabled. Change 'password' to a suitable password
    autosave = 1                    ## autosave hotseat game at start of players turn
    close_after_save = 0            ## close medieval II directly after a hotseat autosave
    gamename = hotseat_gamename        ## sub directory name for hotseat save games
    validate_data = 1                ## ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files
    allow_validation_failures = 0    ## prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail

Last edited by Gigantus; August 20, 2015 at 12:51 AM.

I don't think the UI elements are provided. So I can just paste/overlap this into the default.cfg and that should solve the problem?

Blog Entries

The changes\additions should be entered in the CFG you posted above - it should be the mod's CFG and not the main game's I assume?

The UI elements are:

• data\menu\_M2_Hotseat_Player_PANELS.tga
    • data\menu\_M2_HS_Grand_Campaign_PANELS.tga
    • data\menu\_M2_Multiplayer_Campaign_PANELS.tga

You can get them from my Bare Geomod installation. In case the LNT file doesn't allow for hotseat then use the one from BG as well - but keep a back up of SS's for regular play.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 20, 2015 at 01:26 AM.

I have been reading threads for 3 hours and I have tried everything, rename, universal batch file, set launch options and I can only launch the vanilla medieval.

I installed M2TW tonight via steam, first time in a year, installed SS 6.3, 6.4, settlement fix and Titanium.

I ran both medieval and one of the kingdom campaigns.

I have tried and tried, restarted computer etc.

Gigantus, you are the only person who can help me at this point.

EDIT: Fixed it, if you are running titanium then use this in the steam launch options: --features.mod=mods/Titanium_Alpha
    Last edited by Wolves In The Throne Room; October 25, 2015 at 01:00 AM.

Blog Entries

You might have made a mistake with the universal launcher - it requires the mod's CFG file to be named configuration.cfg
    The above solution is the normal launcher short cut, in fact you could even use it in a regular short cut:

"[path to your M2TW installation]\Medieval II Total War\medieval2.exe" --features.mod=mods/Titanium_Alpha

If there is a bat file in the Titanium_Alpha folder have you checked if it says kingdoms.exe in there? (Right click bat file, choose 'edit') - if so then all that was need was to change it to medieval2.exe to get it running.

Hi,
    I have the Steam version of MTWII & Kingdoms installed on my Win 7 PC. I installed the Stainless Steel 6.4 (I answered yes to 'Do you have Kingdoms on Steam'), made a copy of the medieval2.exe and renamed the copy kingdoms.exe. Then I set the properties of SS_Launcher.exe to always run it as admin. Then I tried to run the Stainless Steel through the Stainless Steel 6.4 desktop shortcut. I get to see the loading screen with the image of a crusader, but immediately get prompted by 'unspecified error and will now exit'. Then I tried to run it through the SS_Launcher.exe (as admin). Same result: unspecified error at launch. Then I tried to rename the original americas folder to americas_original and renamed the SS6.3 folder as americas and tried to launch it through Steam, but the same result remains: unspecified error. I have tried restarting the computer and I've made sure that at least the default MWII and the expansions are launched with the same resolution that my desktop is using. The default MWII and the Kingdoms expansions can be launched and played normally without any problems. I've done the Steam file integrity check and everything seems to be in order there. Any help, please?

Hi,
    I have made MTWII trustwortyh as instructed here ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Store-Problems ) if that's what you refer to, but it didn't work. I also tried reinstalling the Stainless Steel but that didn't work either.

Yep that.

Well First thing you should check is that M2 works fine without mods
    If it does and turning off UAC didn't work for you, try installing SS (both 6.3 and 6.4 update) in another directory outside of Program Files, then you can move it to the M2's mods folder or not, as apparently it just requires to be located in the same Drive as M2.
    If it still doesn't work, maybe your download was corrupted, I suggest downloading it again from torrent.

BTW for getting full features of SS and submods you still have to make the copy and rename of medieval2.exe to kingdoms.exe.
    This is because SS doen't have an editable launch batch file but an .exe with further embedded scripts.

Hi,
    i was directed here after having problems and after trying the fix i am completely lost.
    i had already tried another fix, and im not sure if i have to undo what i did to make the SteamModFixer.bat work.
    also i am unaware how the fix is suppose to work as i found it as a notepad
    plz help, thank you

Hi, I've installed SS 6.3 and 6.4, copied and renamed the medieval2.exe to Kingdoms.exe. I've got the game working but I can only start a Late era campaign (how can I start an Early era campaign?). Also when I try to start a campaign it says choose one from the list, except theres no list.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Go into MTW2/Mods/6.3, select SS Setup, right click and Run as Admin

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast