Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Default Re: Steam

The solution is some threads before this current one, about "New Steam Update+"

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Make a copy of medieval2.exe and rename it to kingdoms.exe
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Default Re: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Followed the instructions.
    Copied and renamed medieval2.exe to kingdoms.exe.
    Set SS_Launcher.exe to run as adminstrator.

All I get is "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit".

Never Mind.
    It seems like it's working now.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil of Loreauville View Post
    Followed the instructions.
    Copied and renamed medieval2.exe to kingdoms.exe.
    Set SS_Launcher.exe to run as adminstrator.

All I get is "Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit".

Quote Originally Posted by kraxmause View Post
    Make a copy of medieval2.exe and rename it to kingdoms.exe
    I did it and it worked. Thank you very much.

Marman's Avatar Foederatus

Hi guys,

this is what I tried for Stainless Steel 6.3/6.4 to make it work with my Steam M2TW game and it worked...!!!!!!

So, STEAM Users, follow these steps...!
    1. Put @mods\SS6.3\default.cfg phrase in SET LAUNCH OPTIONS of the game in Steam (Select the game in your Steam Library, right click it and select Properties).

2. Go to the installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3) and find the file called default.cfg (the one that you just put into launch options to start with). Open it with a text editor (e.g. Notepad).

DO NOT FORGET TO make a reserve copy of this file before you change it!

3. Change the phrase "kingdomDir=" into "medieval2Dir=" then save and close the file.

4. Launch the game from Steam as usual.

Enjoy your hack now...!

NOTE: Remember to delete any input from SET LAUNCH OPTIONS window in Steam, if you want to get back to the classic M2TW game setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaber11 View Post
    I tried starting several new campaigns, but every time I try to start a battle on the battle map I receive a "Medieval II has encountered an unspecified error and will now close" message.
    i get that too any fix?

does the vanilla M2TW campaign runs fine?
    if not you might need to remove M2TW completely and download/install it again.

i've seen similar reports at steam M2 community and that's the solution they have found :/

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Phil of Loreauville View Post
    Never Mind.
    It seems like it's working now.
    Hi Phil,

I got the exact same problem. "Medieval 2 suffered a fatal error and will now exit". I followed every step in this tutorial but it seems I can't get mod to work. Can you please tell what you did exactely?

Hi guys.
    I need your help with this error.
    http://imgur.com/o4kSHjP
    Windows 8 , nonsteam version.
    And here system log when game is crushed:
    18:02:51.525 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    18:02:51.525 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Feb 25 2008 version development ===
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    18:02:51.540 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    18:03:00.578 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5708, column 122
    unit(NE Ballista) does not match up to the ownership for faction(poland)
    18:03:00.579 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5708, column 122
    unit(NE Ballista) does not match up to the ownership for faction(hungary)
    18:03:00.580 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5728, column 122
    unit(NE Catapult) does not match up to the ownership for faction(poland)
    18:03:00.580 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5728, column 122
    unit(NE Catapult) does not match up to the ownership for faction(hungary)
    18:03:00.580 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5733, column 121
    18:03:00.580 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5733, column 121
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5753, column 156
    unit(NE Trebuchet) does not match up to the ownership for faction(poland)
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5753, column 156
    unit(NE Trebuchet) does not match up to the ownership for faction(hungary)
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5762, column 154
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5762, column 154
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5769, column 154
    18:03:00.582 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5769, column 154
    18:03:00.584 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5802, column 123
    18:03:00.584 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5802, column 123
    18:03:00.585 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5822, column 122
    18:03:00.586 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5822, column 122
    18:03:00.586 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5827, column 121
    18:03:00.586 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5827, column 121
    18:03:00.587 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5847, column 156
    unit(NE Trebuchet) does not match up to the ownership for faction(poland)
    18:03:00.587 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5847, column 156
    unit(NE Trebuchet) does not match up to the ownership for faction(hungary)
    18:03:00.587 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5856, column 154
    18:03:00.587 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5856, column 154
    18:03:00.588 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5863, column 154
    18:03:00.588 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5863, column 154
    18:03:00.590 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5895, column 161
    unit(NE Bombard) does not match up to the ownership for faction(poland)
    18:03:00.590 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5895, column 161
    unit(NE Bombard) does not match up to the ownership for faction(hungary)
    18:03:00.591 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5922, column 160
    18:03:00.591 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5922, column 160
    18:03:00.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5959, column 160
    18:03:00.593 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 5959, column 160
    18:03:00.594 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6000, column 160
    18:03:00.594 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6000, column 160
    18:03:00.596 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6030, column 161
    18:03:00.596 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6030, column 161
    18:03:00.598 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6057, column 162
    18:03:00.598 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6057, column 162
    18:03:00.599 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6094, column 162
    18:03:00.599 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6094, column 162
    18:03:00.601 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6135, column 162
    18:03:00.601 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/SS64/data/export_descr_buildings.txt, at line 6135, column 162
    18:05:09.221 [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

There has been a very simple solution available for some time: Universal batch file

For those not comfortable with this method simple edit your mod's BAT file as follows:
    1. Right click on the mod's desktop shortcut, choose 'Properties'
    2. Click on 'open file location'
    3. Right click the BAT file and choose 'edit'
    4. Replace kingdoms.exe with medieval2.exe
    5. Save
    6. Start the mod with the desktop shortcut

The special case of Stainless Steel, is that it's batch file is "inside" an exe along other scripts that enhance the mod :/
    hence why the medieval2.exe copy n' rename is the better solution.

Thanks for your imput anyway

Blog Entries

I wasn't aware SS had converted their (extended) BAT into an EXE - then only the renaming will obviously work. Or some one simply applying this one line of code to it instead of the regular one (name of the CFG file in the line may need adjustment if SS's CFG is named differently):

old
    cd ..\..
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\[mod name]\Configuration.cfg

new (will work with any mod provided the CFG file name is correct)
    cd ..\..
    IF EXIST kingdoms.exe (start kingdoms.exe @%0\..\Configuration.cfg) ELSE (start medieval2.exe @%0\..\Configuration.cfg)
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 29, 2014 at 01:27 AM.

I have re-installed tatw after a break. And now , i can only hear the music and the voices of the units when im on the campaign map and on the battlefield.There is not any sound effects .
    But on the menu , all work well.

I believe you may have posted in the wrong forum???

Navajo Joe
    SS Forum Moderator
    Last edited by Navajo Joe; January 28, 2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Query on posting
    Click to check :
    My Youtube channel
    Steam profile :
    http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006562367/

Resume of my world tournament participations of TW since 2011.
    6 conquests, 9 finals disputed and 13 semi disputed.
    Player with most campaign conquests on TW on legendary.

I can't get this to work anymore

Unspecified error everytime,

and when I do boot it, theres no music and it crashes very often, anyone

Blog Entries

Tatw requires 3.0 to be installed before installing 3.2 - after that you can change the bat file as described above

Quote Originally Posted by Marman View Post
    Hi guys,

this is what I tried for Stainless Steel 6.3/6.4 to make it work with my Steam M2TW game and it worked...!!!!!!

So, STEAM Users, follow these steps...!
    1. Put @mods\SS6.3\default.cfg phrase in SET LAUNCH OPTIONS of the game in Steam (Select the game in your Steam Library, right click it and select Properties).

2. Go to the installation directory (usually C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\SS6.3) and find the file called default.cfg (the one that you just put into launch options to start with). Open it with a text editor (e.g. Notepad).

DO NOT FORGET TO make a reserve copy of this file before you change it!

3. Change the phrase "kingdomDir=" into "medieval2Dir=" then save and close the file.

4. Launch the game from Steam as usual.

Enjoy your hack now...!

NOTE: Remember to delete any input from SET LAUNCH OPTIONS window in Steam, if you want to get back to the classic M2TW game setup.

No way I can get SS6.4 plus bugfix compilation 1.26 included to work properly with Steam. I always get a frozen window after say 30 sec. and I can't do anything but reset. I've tried this last 'fix' but it doesn't work neither. The only way SS6.4 works for me is with the 'bad workaround' fix: renaming SS6.3 directory to a kingdom submod directory.

Anyone any idea on this bug ('frozen window') and how to fix it?
    Melooo182, do your bugfix compilation works when running SS6.4 with the 'bad workaround' fix? Because if not, and since I experience CTDs during sieges I'll have to forget about M2TW and SS6.4

Blog Entries

siege crashes - if you have unpacked the game then you need to delete two 'geography' files, otherwise it is mod specific.
    mod start - have you tried the simple method of making a copy of the medieval2.exe file and renaming it to kingdoms.exe?

Thanks Gigantus!

No, I've not unpacked the game for "years". It's a fresh install. I think it's one of the bugs Melooo182 fixed and included in his compilation. I hadn't installed it when it crashed (didn't even know there were bugs and fixes in SS6.4 )

About mod start, I've done a copy of medieval2.exe to kingdoms.exe and the mod works fine. BUT not from the launcher. I mean it only works with the 'bad workaround' fixing method: renaming SS6.3 directory to whatever kingdom submod and then launching it from Steam. Which means some SS6.4 features don't work. For instance, I don't have the current date YYYY on the HUD left corner. Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast