Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

Default New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

This has been included in the simplified installer - Gigantus

Some of you might already know that there has been an unexpected Steam Update to M2TW and Kingdoms the 22/07/2014 (7/22/14 for 'mericans )

If you haven't been following this thread, you will want to know that this update break mods, if you have steam M2:K updated to the last patch and have your Steam Shortcut to SS_launcher.exe you'll find out that the mod won't launch.

There is this "bad workaround" of switching mod folder name with one of the original Kingdoms campaigns,
    like for examples americas, and yes it works to launch the mod, but the extra features embedded in the SS_launcher.exe
    like the BAI swapper and exra cfg settings like borderless window won't be available.

Since what this update did was merge Kingdoms.exe into Medieval2.exe,
    the proper solution would be to change the SS_launcher.exe and default.cfg to use the Medieval2.exe instead of Kingdoms
    ...however unless Gracul or any of the old Devs with the source material shows up to save the day, which I doubt,
    we will have to rebuild the SS_launcher from scratch :/

Another solution is to make a copy of this new steam Medieval2.exe and rename it to Kingdoms.exe, It's confirmed that this works!

FIXING STAINLESS STEEL FOR STEAM INSTRUCTIONS:

#1 Go to your default medieval 2 folder

#2 Make a Copy of "Medieval2.exe"and rename that copy to "Kingdoms.exe"
    or you can use the SteamModFixer.bat* to do this part for you.

#3 Go to your SS mod folder (mods\SS6.3\) and right-click on SS_Launcher.exe, open Properties and in the compatibility tab tick the "Run this program as administrator" option, don't forget to press the Apply button before closing.
    OPTIONAL: Make a steam shortcut of the SS_launcher.exe like explained here in this tutorial

#4 Done now should be able to launch the mod with all its features using steam.
    *SteamModFixer.bat
    In case you're a bit clueless on copying and renaming files, here is a batch file that will do it for you, SteamModFixer.bat
    And a mirror stored here TWC SteamModFixer.7z (contained in a 7z)

To use this batch, just drop it into Medieval2's main folder
    usually "C:\program files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War",
    double-click it and done you should be able to run mods like before

There are still other minor problems with the Steam version of M2 which haven't been solved yet.
    So here are some solutions for some of them:

- Wrong or missing text/tooltips in the game UI
    this happens because the new steam executable fails to convert some txt files into strings.bin
    Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Ok well in short the fix for this would be to get this launcher
    And do the following every time after you use the SS_setup.exe:

- Launch Stainless Steel with v1c7r1x's launcher once, so it can recreate the missing strings.bin
    - Exit the game.
    - Launch Stainless Steel from it's own launcher (SS_launcher.exe) and play.

Remember that everytime you activate/deactivate submods, change campaign era, etc using the SS_setup.exe
    you'll have to repeat the process above.
    Thanks to
    capablecenturion for finding this out.

Alternatively you can extract these strings.bin.rar to the "...\SS6.3\data\text" folder after each time you use the SS_setup.exe

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Default Re: New Steam Update

My main issue right now is that saves (whether it be from before the update or new ones I create after the update) don't load and result in a crash. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

vin2579's Avatar Civis

I actually have opened up my stainless steel mod folder and as long as I click on "run as administrator" I can run my SS just exactly how I could before, if you are having an issues log out of steam and re login. The medieval total war kingdoms will disappear from your games list and you will only see medieval total war 2.

vin2579's Avatar Civis

I can post pics when I get to my PC if you want proof/tutorial

vin2579's Avatar Civis

please do, i suppose you still have the kingdoms.exe in your gamefolder then
    Actually just booted up steam and it "updated" and removed it lol...

vin2579's Avatar Civis

Okay so here is the fix, for those with stainless steel.

#1 Go to your default medieval 2 folder,

#2 Copy "Medieval2" https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2008.48.56.png

#3 Paste it in the same folder and rename the copy to "Kingdoms" https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2008.49.44.png

#4 Go to your SS folder and run SS Launcher as admin. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2008.55.23.png

#5 Enjoy, border-less mode + steam support now.

vin2579's Avatar Civis

I can make a batch that copy n renames the Medieval2 executable to make things easier to newbies, will post it here ASAP
    Thank you Melooo, I'm sure everyone else who is less technologically empowered will enjoy that, cheers m8!

Default Re: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

This fix seems to work for launching the game (as does the old trick that some other mods used to use where you just rename your stainless steel folders to one of the Kingdoms campaigns) but when I try to start a battle in a previously saved game it crashes. I haven't tried starting a new game yet, but I'm hoping that will work.

I tried starting several new campaigns, but every time I try to start a battle on the battle map I receive a "Medieval II has encountered an unspecified error and will now close" message.

easytarget's Avatar Libertus

Trying to download this again and all the links here are dead or time out. Anyone got a reliable link I can use to download 6.3/6.4?

vin2579's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by easytarget View Post
    Trying to download this again and all the links here are dead or time out. Anyone got a reliable link I can use to download 6.3/6.4?
    Only way I could ever download SS 6.3 and the 6.4 patch was through bane's torrent, have you tried that yet?

Thanks for letting me know I hadn't gone mad. I thought my steam had broken repeatedly downloading med 2 without kingdoms.exe I dont get what the point of doing this has been? Surely ruining the mods ruins CA's cash cow.

My problem is that I cant Alt+Tab anymore during turn time and its really a problem because my pc isnt the best. Before was working allright and now I just wait for the long time of the "between turns".
    JPEmpire is gone!Sauron will conquer all TWC!!!! BUT I can also enjoy the mods (yes I have a computer don't judge Mordor ok?)
    Recommended Mods:
    EUROPA BARBARORUM 2,ROMA SURRECTUM 2,RISE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS,STAINLESS STEEL
    AND
    Dark Lord simulator (Third Age)

@jpempire: are you launching the mod from SS_launcher.exe? if so then it might be that the resolution of M2 is not matching the desktop's one.

Quote Originally Posted by vin2579 View Post
    Only way I could ever download SS 6.3 and the 6.4 patch was through bane's torrent, have you tried that yet?
    I used the torrent and it worked fine!

@jpempire: are you launching the mod from SS_launcher.exe? if so then it might be that the resolution of M2 is not matching the desktop's one.
    Im using the old method of renaming the folder so I'm using the "americas" name.

Is there a way to fix the alt tab issue?
    Last edited by jpempire; July 26, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
    JPEmpire is gone!Sauron will conquer all TWC!!!! BUT I can also enjoy the mods (yes I have a computer don't judge Mordor ok?)
    Recommended Mods:
    AND

Im using the old method of renaming the folder so I'm using the "americas" name.
    that's precisely the bad workaround i talk about in the OP xD
    Is there a way to fix the alt tab issue?
    Lol yes, reverting the mod folder name to SS6.3 and use the bat file i linked and/or what vin2579 posted

LOOL how I didnt saw that! Sorry for the stupid question.

BTW my english is not great so yeah.....

Thanks anyway
    Recommended Mods:
    AND

Quote Originally Posted by Darksaber11 View Post
    I tried starting several new campaigns, but every time I try to start a battle on the battle map I receive a "Medieval II has encountered an unspecified error and will now exit" message.
    Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a fix for it?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast