Thread: Rome: Total Enjoyment (RTE)

Vuk's Avatar Miles

Default Rome: Total Enjoyment (RTE)

Now announcing, Rome Total Enjoyment!

I am making this one my self (Though help would be completely appriciated)!!
    I do not know how to edit Meshes or skin for this game, so the changes will all be in images and text files (the core of the game), which means no new units and no missing units.
    I decided to make this mod because I was unsatisfied with the missile and charge damage in RTW. I am changing the army makeup on the campaign map, and the money and provinces each player starts with. I have gone through great lenghts to make this as accurate (If not historical, which I strive for, than at least physically(damage, etc)).

Having expanded so far beyond what I origanally intended, I have decided to try to expand more, and am looking for moddellers and scripters (and historians) who are interested.

If not, I will Release it once I am done with my on efforts. I am currently ballancing, I expect to release the Mod in 3-4 weeks.

Though it sounds small, you ould not begin to imagine how different the gameplay is, and with the addition of new units, and exclusion of some old ones it could be a lot better! Please respond if you're interested!

Default Re: Rome: Total Enjoyment (RTE)

What exactly have you done to tweak the gameplay?

Vuk's Avatar Miles

I have tweeked a lot of things in both the field of realism and the field of historical realism (From the animation of burning soldiers to the size of celtic horses(which were notably larger than portrade in the game)), but what I think stands out the most is missile damage. An unarmored peasant with a sling, if he is a good enough slinger, could take down even heavily armored men. When the Parthians used slingers against the Romans, and a Roman's shield (Directly in front of his arm) was hit, it would usually break the Roman's arm. They delivered shock waves through the armor. It was not so much the rock that did the damage, but its velocity which was practically un inhibited by armor. For all practical purposes it was one shot, one kill. It is in my MOD (Missile units will not be uber units and the game WILL be balanced. Players will simply have to adjust their playing strategy to a more realistic one). Archers damage is also greatly increased to reflect a more realistic model. The damage of javelins/Pili has been adjusted with an added benefit against elephants and, hopefully, soon to be armor peircing capabilities. Their overall damage has also been upped. Archer's range, power, price, numbers, and number of arrows have been adjusted to more realistically portray the different cultues. I could go on and on with missile damage, but will instead briefly mention charge effect.
    Another huge short falling of RTW is charge effect. A LOT of the heavier cavalry's attack has been transfered/upped from base attack to charge bonus - mostly on the heavier armed units.

While I am doing alot to almost every, if not every, unit to make them more realistic (as well as work on the campaign map), this is NOT a realism mod. The focus is not as much on historial accuracy as it is on realistisc gameplay (which will still differ from reality in many ways for many reasons). I will however endevour to make it as realistic (Historically and not) as possible.

I hope that answers your question. I really need help on this MOD, and could make it a lot better with your assistance! Please, help me out!

Vuk's Avatar Miles

Ok, got some help! Now I just need a modeller, skinner, and someone handy with photoshop!!