Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: ummm what's the update for?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: ummm what's the update for?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1166800 The whole thread is worth a read.

I agree. That is, or WAS, the main selling point. Steam has ruined, RUINED, M2TW for everyone.

Obviously, from what we've just experienced, I am now convinced that the Steam techs are the most incompetent ning-come-poops (I really mean s) in the world. There are other games out there, some (MOST) better than anything Steam sells or mismanages.

So friends, do I sound pissed at Steam for what they've done? You GD right I'm pissed. Steam has lost a customer.
    Last edited by irishron; July 30, 2014 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by esaciar View Post
    Keep us posted...
    Alright..?

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    There is no official topic on the steam community about the 9.2 RTW1 patch (sorry if this seems off-topic), but there is an unofficial topic there, and I'd say most Steam players with M2TW issues also are having RTW1 issues. Here's the link.

Regarding the Steam issues on M2TW, all we know is that a patch is coming based upon the official topic for that problem. There have been less and less posts by the Steam contact as the same old problems keep showing up everywhere due to the corrupted patch. I think people are really frustrated as they try to play the basic game and it doesn't work correctly in battles. That official link is here.

In all honesty, the best solutions for playing the game after the Steam patch, as well as solutions for playing mods, has all been in this topic at the TWCenter, with remarkably inadequate information at the Steam Community site and at the official Total War site. Which is disheartening, and a bit inexplicable, and frankly bad business.
    Yes, you're right. There's no way to rely on Steam or anyone else anymore -- this bad business stuff may not be due to the owners though... many people I've encountered seemed to point fingers at people who are sitting at ''bigger desks'', per say. Perhaps they're right, or maybe you're right, and they're all just d-bags humping money off of people because ''they can''. Regardless, I think these new updates, which by this point are most certainly inevitable, will fix things eventually. Looking at their handiwork with Rome 2 (I wouldn't actually personally know because I didn't buy it -- but again, heard some rumors and some 'factoids'), you can only assume the worst, but even then there are mods for Rome 2 that fix things without devs' help. I think it's fair to just wait it out and see what happens.

Maybe if the community isn't at its best right now, it will grow to become more 'productive', rather than just informative. But for the time being, let's all just focus on tackling their next attempt at an 'update'

CA to their credit, and this is a bit mystifying, decided they should be kind and ensure the MP still worked. But that's at odds with them selling M2TW, right? Can we get confirmation on that please? If that's true, then I don't get that they can do that. If it's not, then I get that they can, and that they should release a patch to please the customer base who might buy Rome 2, but should they force a patch? That last part is not right.

What's also not right is failure to make amends. When a company makes a mistake, and they don't own up to it right away, and they dramatically slow down their communication with terse answers like, "We're working on a new patch....", then this is kind of insulting. Can I get an Amen? Steam/CA actually had a roll out for it on the Steam community and TotalWar.com with a "How do you like the new update?" because they "thought" that we'd be gushing and pleased. They were not aware at all of the issues, and it took days for players to boot it up and see many problems, and at first only the tiniest mention of potential sound issues came out from their official posts.

Think about it this way: if a company releases something and they don't know the issues, and the players write and document the issues, those players are not whiny. Those players just saved the company a lot of money because that takes a lot of effort to beta test. Heck, offering a little free credit on Steam for DLC packs would be a simple and cheap way of saying thanks. It also would encourage new folks to report them.

Meanwhile I would LOVE for CA to realize that there was something special about M2TW as we're all still playing with it and it's ANCIENT. 2004 for M2TW and 2007 for Kingdoms. So if we're still playing fanatically and modding it, wouldn't most people pay $20 for DLC units? Or $20 for new castles/cities? Or $20 for 4 new campaigns? Or $20 for a Dymaxion map as that allows for world travel and no more edges of the map with a standard map. They could clean up with these ancillary income streams. They have a ready market right here and they're missing the boat. Heck, I'd buy it all at once.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM.

Icon3 Re: ummm what's the update for?

Yet another double post by me! This time I think it's a bit important, though.

I've done more 'research' towards some of the bugs and I've decided to try my other mod named Renaissance Total War. I've managed to get the mod working using the option of using Steam's non-steam game shortcut. It's worked well, except for one thing: TEXT

I've seen the link posted by Irishron (thank you for that) earlier which covered another man's problem regarding text; his particular problem was a description used for a building within building browser being written ''literally'' (meaning code shows up as actual code, not what the code is supposed to show).

I did not have this exact problem. However, I did find the issue with text to be a tad different -- in particular, it deals with the labeling of buttons, units, some features of building queue as well as units.There are likely countless others I probably have missed (I could of found more, but I feel the 'gist' should be generally found very easily), and even other things which I did not see. I didn't bother with finding them because, by apparent accident, I have discovered the problem.

The Steam Launcher played a very important part in launching mods. It's undeniable -- Most (apparently, from what I've read so far from a lot of posts) people did not have the need (or cared enough to) to replace it with a custom one made by a Steam User who had suffered the same fate.
    Link (Most 'recent', albeit it says beta, it work(ed)s like a charm.)

If you had used this as a replacement, and have launched a Kingdoms mod (my experience), or had just double-clicked it simply to launch a mod through it, you may be in luck, because this is what fixes my described problem.

Somehow, if I launched Renaissance through Steam shortcut, the problem persisted with no apparent fix (I was thinking of simply refreshing all the text files in text folder by regenerating them, but I hadn't done it because I feel the launcher is more comfortable to use.)

Here are the screenshots I took to compare the two instances; note that this is the EXACT same mod, with EXACT same settings, only difference is the launcher vs non-steam game circumstance.

Non-Steam (Problem)

Mouseover Settlement: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...0BFE174367038/

Mouseover Army: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...2A159822B613C/

Mouseover Unit (Also notice the missing text for buttons -- why?): http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...FE7F3DADB6FD6/

Mouseover Building Browser: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...D96A86486EF25/

Mouseover Unit Browser: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...4345E41038E3D/

Launcher (Fixed)

Mouseover Settlement: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...0C737CF85CE84/

Mouseover Army: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...CD1101A653354/

Mouseover Unit(Button text has returned -- 'wait' seems to have taken a break ): http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...5B716F5D47AAD/

Mouseover Building Browser: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...006BF5854556D/

Mouseover Unit Browser: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/...84774D17558DE/

That's all. I apologize for all these screenshots, probably a pain, but a necessary evil I think.

Conclusion is: the launcher still has use to it -- some people may have already said that earlier, but at least I can safely confirm it.

If you experience text issues, you should really try to get the launcher the guy has released, it may help you (Link). Plus, it's really cool! I think anyone would take it over that old trash heap CA (or Steam?) dared call a launcher. It's safe, legal, and no loss should come to or from it. I don't believe the launcher should be a problem to use (it's a simple double-click as far as I can tell, at least in my case anyway) and I believe that this will put aside the idiotism that broke out from our ever-benevolent devs, to some degree, to rest.

Oh and on the contrary note, I did actually refresh one text file from the text folder, and it worked successfully (I think so anyway). Just throwing that out there to anyone that may doubt it like I did -- apparently CA didn't break everything yet.

It's good you did the pics and the confirmation of the alternative launcher solution. It's one of four possible solutions detailed here that allow the mods to work again. Yes, there was an initial alternative launcher release and then a beta ugrade to that launcher. If you use the alternative launcher, then Squid's tool can still be used to configure the launcher. So then doing it in this manner then results in a similar method for launching mods that people are used to.

But does it fix all of the problems in battles, and does it fix sound, or does it fix the shading? Because I think you're saying it fixes the "text" only.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    It's good you did the pics and the confirmation of the alternative launcher solution. It's one of four possible solutions detailed here that allow the mods to work again. Yes, there was an initial alternative launcher release and then a beta ugrade to that launcher. If you use the alternative launcher, then Squid's tool can still be used to configure the launcher. So then doing it in this manner then results in a similar method for launching mods that people are used to.

But does it fix all of the problems in battles, and does it fix sound, or does it fix the shading? Because I think you're saying it fixes the "text" only.
    Unfortunately, yes. This does fix only the text issue (as far as I know -- I have a feeling it can vary differently based on folder setup for each person's preference, etc..) and the reason is unknown to me. The sound is likely a matter which benefits from within core files or hard codes or whatever they're called by the cool kids. The shader, as detailed before, is just as baffling as the reason to why this WORKED for me to begin with. I just simply don't know.

I believe the shader problem is derrived from kingdoms overall -- since the standard .exe has been merged with kingdoms, the shader problem persists from kingdoms. From my previous post, the shader benefitted well and had no issues on my mod due to it being a RETROFIT folder (which is a kingdoms-based folder, correct?)

However, I had forgotten to mention that yes, the shader issue gone away from Renaissance Total War for me (using both the non-steam shortcut and the launcher ways), and I simply can't tell you why. I have no clue. It's baffling as well because in technicality, Renaissance IS NOT a kingdoms mod.

In the post previously discovered by irishron, the last comment tells that the problem is with lightmaps (or something similar, I'm not smart ), and that it has been recognized by CA. So perhaps the patch you've mentioned previously will be inevitably focused on both the issue of sound and the shader.

Also thank you for pointing out squid's tool -- very useful to mention. I should of included it I guess

Cheers, and no fret. We'll get out of this yet!
    Last edited by capablecenturion; July 31, 2014 at 12:14 AM. Reason: mistake

I'm not going to quote your full post for this but personally I'll take a "We're working on a patch" now as a positive step versus the dead silence I am used to receiving from them.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    I'm not going to quote your full post for this but personally I'll take a "We're working on a patch" now as a positive step versus the dead silence I am used to receiving from them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/d...93781577390838
    "That's a known issue (by the development team). They are working on a patch for that."

Yeah, it was at the Steam Community's main Medieval Discussion site, and they have an official discussion there. One guy, he must be just like you except paid and doing tech support, and he's getting hammered with tons of the exact same question, and trying to be patient with canned forum posts, and as it grew to eighteen pages of complaints, these posts got increasing terse! I actually felt sorry for him because he has his picture in the avatar and it's the face of abject failure.

If I hear any more, I'll keep posting. I check it a couple of times a day.(Punchy as I write this. Hope it makes sense.)

Edit: New Patch Update
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/d...93781622507729
    "ETA on the patch is in the next couple of days. Just going through final QA and sign-off."
    Posted three hours ago 2:58 Eastern

EDIT2: Folks, because of the huge number of posts I've been reading to assist the community with this, I'm going to add a PM I just sent to a concerned member. Please communicate with me mostly through this topic if you want more information. That way whatever questions I answer will end up answering the question of another. Or else I'll have to start sending canned responses in order to concentrate on the Steam update. I don't want to do that. PM response follows:

"I'd say that based upon the many hundreds of posts I've read about this (literally done to help the community), that to get the vanilla Steam version of M2TW and the Kingdom campaigns to work, a complete removal of the game PLUS editing of the registry with a program like IObit's Uninstaller or ccleaner to remove the Steam and M2TW entries, was necessary to get the game to operate. [Registry values tell Steam that it and M2TW were once on your system. Unless a real installation of the game was done, and registry values removed, then Steam makes errors when reloading the new Steam version of the combined M2TW + Kingdoms exes.]

Players who attempted to 1)download the Steam patch, 2)delete local content 3) reacquire a corrupted game integrity due to a failed integrity check, all failed to get a game that wasn't hopelessly buggy.

Now, even after getting the vanilla game and the basic campaigns reloaded, then there are all of the documented issues with the new Steam version of the combined M2TW + Kingdoms.

Then on top of this, people doing four different methods for getting a mod to work.

All of which is going to be a technical troubleshooting nightmare as thousands of people have been affected.

Wait, there's more. See that update topic. Steam is supposed to release a new patch; I'd guess in the next 48 hours. So this means a lot of people might have to go through ALL of that again. Then after doing so, then STILL troubleshoot and see what bugs are there and what new bugs might have been introduced."
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 31, 2014 at 05:49 PM.

Hi all,

A new hotfix has been issued to address the sound issues that were experienced in MED II since the multiplayer patch.
    The update should be downloaded and installed automatically from Steam. If the download is not triggered, please restart Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico CA View Post
    Hi all,

A new hotfix has been issued to address the sound issues that were experienced in MED II since the multiplayer patch.
    The update should be downloaded and installed automatically from Steam. If the download is not triggered, please restart Steam.
    Thank you for the update.

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

I don't meant to be a pain in the arse, but is there a hotfix for all of the other problems this created?

Like the utter failure to launch?

Quote Originally Posted by esaciar View Post
    I don't meant to be a pain in the arse, but is there a hotfix for all of the other problems this created?

Like the utter failure to launch?
    The old medieval2.exe or the old kingdoms.exe? It makes a world of difference.

I'm currently downloading a 1.2 gig patch for M2TW

Stívarđr Reynitré's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    The old medieval2.exe or the old kingdoms.exe? It makes a world of difference.
    both through steam

Kingdoms.exe is a do-it-yourself project. http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...=1#post1162362
    If you wish to complain about it, please do it there. I am only the messenger.

Medieval2.exe http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...95#post1166795 Stay tuned.

By the way the thread has more info and a good place for your input.

Whats this new 1.2 GB patch for?
    The renaming method was working and I was in the middle of a great SS campaign, I hope this doesn't break it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    If you ever lived next to a volcano, the fact that you had nothing to do with your neighbour failing to properly throw in his virgin daughter to appease the local deity doesn't stop the lava from engulfing your home.

Senator

I believe the update that just hit is purely to fix the sound issues, as stated in Nico's post.

Why it requires 1.2GB just for sound I don't know.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/4700/d...93781675088848
    "There was a patch released today that should fix the sounds. Perhaps you downloaded that."
    This was a similar terse reply that came out from Steam. There was a 1 gig RTW Steam patch as well yesterday. If you're a Steam owner of these products, it's in your best interest to test them in the campaign and in custom battles to see if they work, and by looking at the previous posts detailing many bugs.

Or you can decide that maybe you don't want to be experimented on without your permission and buy a regular version of these programs.

Now while I've tolerated them since they were released (practically the first day) in Steam, I'm rather irritated since I just want to play EB2 which is being released in August, or just play any number of great mods. It seems like a pretty simple and practical decision to me but some people like banging their head on a wall in frustration.

Last edited by RubiconDecision; August 01, 2014 at 02:52 PM.

Fixed the sound on my end with this new patch... however, the darkened-shadow bug still persists. Hmm.
    Also, has anyone's game been loading a bit 'longer' lately? I feel like it takes longer to load now. It used to be in a snap. Maybe that's just me

EDIT: For those whose mods are still without sound (on main menu, and perhaps other instances), you have to regenerate your sound files.

To do this (for those who don't know) you must delete the .idx and .dat files in your SOUNDS folder found in your DATA folder of your mod.

1. Find your mod's SOUNDS folder -- delete .idx and .dat file BUT
    --DO NOT do this unless you have 39 folders with descr_sounds labeled in them. They are located in your DATA folder (of your mod), and they are a must, and most mods probably have them. If not, download them here:
    Kingdoms: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3604
    Vanilla: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1110

When you've gotten either one, depending on your game whether it has kingdoms 'elements' or not, you should just drop all 39 of them into the data folder and allow them to MERGE, meaning don't replace the ones that already EXIST in your mod folder.

--You should also TEMPORARILY go into Medieval 2's main directory (Vanilla game) and if you've unpacked it (you really should if you're modding or playing mods, kind of a big deal) and pull the folders music, SFX, and voice (and effect_evt, if it exists) into your sounds folder of your mod. MERGE them like you did with the 39 .txt files.
    Note that these are ABSOLUTELY 100% ESSENTIAL! If you leave even one part of that unchecked, it can be annoying, as you may have missing sound and possibly even un-explainable CTDs!

2. After you've made sure of all of those, all you have to do is start your game. It will regenerate the files you've deleted, and if you want, you can remove the folders from sounds folder (they take up quite a bit of space each 'copy paste', at least I think so.)
    Last edited by capablecenturion; August 01, 2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: @@@@