Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: ummm what's the update for?

Default Re: ummm what's the update for?

This update screwed up Darthmod on my side. I can't launch it. The same update for Rome: Total War will probably screw up Darthmod for that, too, if I update it.

Quote Originally Posted by scdandme View Post
    thanks so much for replying to me wolf.....well this will be a good lesson to some i guess.....i am religious about setting my games to not auto update if i have them modded at all....thank god steam at least has this feature....sorry for you guys having this trouble.....set ALL your older games for which there is no development for and probably will not be again to "do not update".....if there is on rare occasion a patch released later then you can choose to turn it back on for that game and at least prepare for that game's files to get "steam rolled" !! LOL
    While this in theory is a great idea, Steam is notorious for still updating games when you've specifically set to not update

Quote Originally Posted by ProneOyster View Post
    While this in theory is a great idea, Steam is notorious for still updating games when you've specifically set to not update
    That is what I was looking for an opinion on in my earlier post...thanks....that's just messed up !!!....I think the people at Steam need to get an "update" from the modding community about this !!!!!

While I don't want to say you are wrong here I can personally say that this has never happened to me...unless of course I install steam on a new pc and start downloading games to that one because wolf is correct in that it is on by default....MOST newer games are best to leave on auto update because this is a good feature from steam. But since you have said this my guard is now up and I will be watching my games for updates without permission.....
    Last edited by scdandme; July 22, 2014 at 04:32 PM.

Senator

What would happen if you deleted one of the Kingdoms vanilla campaigns completely and replaced it with a mod?

Is there any hope for mods from this point? ''Switching-the-kingdoms-campaign method'' doesn't seem to cut it for most people...Are there other ways or possibilities?

EDIT: Campaign switching works is what I meant to say, just not to the most extent of just launching the mod on its own... for example, some people's saves crash, or starting new campaign, but mine seemed to have none of those save no sound in the main menu (which was not an issue before this ridiculous ''patch'' )
    Last edited by capablecenturion; July 22, 2014 at 04:46 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Why not post your concerns in the OP thread linked on the first page?
    Does a Steam forum have a thread on this you can post your concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Why not post your concerns in the OP thread linked on the first page?
    Does a Steam forum have a thread on this you can post your concerns?
    1. Probably too late and they don't care anyway.....ProneOyster is apparently right...my game is cooked from this auto update set to not auto update !!!

2. The last post I can see in the kingdoms forum on steam is January of this year....this is too new still I guess....

been reading this thread and it is interesting....just in case you want to check it out .... http://steamcommunity.com/discussion...8451481459971/

hope this is not against site rules and if it is just please let me know not to post links....

Edit: I need to apologize to everyone here I think....I have read some on the "auto update" subject that I linked in this post and it has been somewhat educational for me so it apparently is a no-win situation for those of us with steam accounts and modded games....
    Last edited by scdandme; July 22, 2014 at 05:51 PM.

So steam version wont be reading CFG files anymore then?

copying the medieval2.exe and kingdoms.exe from non steam versions would do any different?
    of course that would completely isolate the game from steam and multiplayer, but would it work with the rest of updated data?

What are or what is CFG files?

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    So steam version wont be reading CFG files anymore then?

copying the medieval2.exe and kingdoms.exe from non steam versions would do any different?
    of course that would completely isolate the game from steam and multiplayer, but would it work with the rest of updated data?
    steam would probably see these as "corrupt" files and re-instal/verify them anyway...unless you could do this and play off-line....its worth a shot...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger6792 View Post
    What are or what is CFG files?
    Those are config files there is one named medieval2.preference.cfg in the game main folder, before this patch you could have each of your mods properly modfoldered have a config file of their own.

Also getting the Mss32.dll from nonsteam version would do anything?

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Wierd! I don't see Kingdoms on my game list. Also even when steam doesn't list it as installed I can still launch Call of War Hammer like if I had a pirate version or something... really weird.
    Also, it insists on installing the whole game again.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by Melooo182 View Post
    Those are config files there is one named medieval2.preference.cfg in the game main folder, before this patch you could have each of your mods properly modfoldered have a config file of their own.

Also getting the Mss32.dll from nonsteam version would do anything?
    same thing I guess...steam seems to "lock" your game if you choose to not let it update to the latest versions of games...and any files it does not like to see in your install are "cleaned" and re-downloaded...I think they should allow it to be an option at least when it is only an online player (multiplayer) update....AARRRGGG !!!...again, if you could get these files and never log onto steam then theoretically this will work.....

Update: Well my 10 + gig download just finished....LOL..so I decided to test the method mentioned here and low and behold...it did work for me...I did hard load my last game instead of clicking "continue campaign" button and all seemed fine...so this appears to have worked for me...so far...thanks for everyone's help and input

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Update: Well my 10 + gig download just finished....LOL..so I decided to test the method mentioned here and low and behold...it did work for me...I did hard load my last game instead of clicking "continue campaign" button and all seemed fine...so this appears to have worked for me...so far...thanks for everyone's help and input
    What did you use? Sorry I'm pretty desperate to find a solution atm lol

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

2 things I have noticed that are not modding related.
    1. Is that MP is now possible but really really really laggy!!!
    2. A lot of sounds are missing (weapon upgrading, artillery, menu clicking, probably more..)

They need another patch. Good news is that currently there are more people playing M2TW online than Shogun 2!
    Give a man a fish you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime.
    cant read?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

same thing I guess...steam seems to "lock" your game if you choose to not let it update to the latest versions of games...and any files it does not like to see in your install are "cleaned" and re-downloaded...I think they should allow it to be an option at least when it is only an online player (multiplayer) update....AARRRGGG !!!...again, if you could get these files and never log onto steam then theoretically this will work.....
    This was a complaint when ETW was released and started to be patched. Steam with its lockout, then being something like two weeks and you had to log back in to play, and the kicker, download all the updates, wanted or not.

Anything steam "sees" as not part of the "original or updated" version will be deleted and redownloaded. It's built into their Terms of Service some way.

Don't like it, and have the old discs, play LAN with your buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
    What did you use? Sorry I'm pretty desperate to find a solution atm lol
    glad to see irishron agree...the key word is "automatically" update ....you still have to update no matter what...i am sure it is meant to be a good thing but not for modders right ??

i have the third age with mos 1.6.2....when the download finished i just clicked it like you described in that other thread and clicked on the "Americans" campaign like many have done before...(my third age folder was renamed to americas of course)...BOOM ! there was the mos loading screen and the intro just as good as always...then i hard loaded the save and it was good to go...what is happening with your issue ??.we all may be onto something here...

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Ehh at least we can still play MP.

Hopefully some more patches will be released and some explanations/tutorials for a permanent modding fix.

Quote Originally Posted by The Useless Member View Post
    Ehh at least we can still play MP.

Hopefully some more patches will be released and some explanations/tutorials for a permanent modding fix.
    yea to be fair i jumped the gun a little earlier in this thread by blaming steam..i am sure that to host a game made by a developer (CA) then they are legally bound to force updates as they are released.....makes sense anyway to me...sorry steam