Thread: Resource Overhaul - WIP (Feedback and help appreciated)

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Resource Overhaul - WIP (Feedback and help appreciated)

*All that is mentioned below is subject to change depending on the results of testing*

As with everything we do in this mod, the resource system will be overhauled from scratch. We have included the Meaningful Resources mod (Xilo) in Magnar Mod for some time but come v2.4 we will release our own resource overhaul quite different to all other mods available.

Without going in to too much details of the mechanics of how we will be doing it, here is what we are currently planning.

Each region will be able to produce multiple resources though not all will.

Some resources will not be represented but are assumed available.

Resources will be split into primary and secondary resources.

Some buildings will require resources.

The current resources that are intended to be included are as follows. (if you think another resource should be added, please let me know and any sources you have, post them as well )

Unfortunately I wanted to make certain resources not tradeable but my tests to make it work were unsuccessful. I may try again but until I find a way to make resources untradeable, the full idea has been put on the back burner and what is above is the current plan.

As a result of a significant increase in the number of resources, each resource will give a much smaller bonus to diplomacy.

Much like the Magnar Mod seasons system, this will hopefully be the most detailed and historic resource mod available.

As Always... Stay tuned for more.
    Last edited by Magnar; July 21, 2014 at 05:57 AM.

airborne guy's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Resource Overhaul - WIP (Feedback and help appreciated)

Sounds interesting. Good luck

Would it be achievable to do something like linking certain resources with some units, sort of like creating a cap to heavy armoured troops your faction can recruit until you have access through iron. Either by trade rights or conquest. It wouldn't change a lot in terms of gameplay when it comes to iron since I guess most factions will be close to a region that contains it, would be just sort of a RP touch, but could maybe provide a fun mechanic when it comes to warhorses and elephants! By preventing the player from recruiting heavy cavalry or elephants until he gained access to those resources! But I guess the AI wouldn't be able to handle it, or it would require a lot of work to make it work.

One thing that is probably more doable is creating a horse resource, which would be the one used for building related requirements and keep warhorse as a different resource that would improve only the quality of your mounted units.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Not sure how much of that is possible as would likely require scripting to do and we are currently without a scripter.

Is livestock in the current version? Can't find it anywhere but there is a space on the trade table.
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

The table there is for the future version not the current version

I would suggest adding cattle/livestock to it in addition to grain. Livestock play an important role and in certain cultures (Gaelic and some Germanic tribes) was one of the most important resources. The tribes involved in the German migrations in the time of Marius were almost entirely pastoral. It would be interesting to have the resources have different importances to different cultures. For example to simulate the importance of grain for the Romans, Rome could gain a public order bonus in areas with grain and have cheaper recruitment. The Parthians and Sarmatians could suffer population growth penalties in the absence of horses and cheaper recruitment with additional experience with horses. The Germans could have a similar situation with cattle/livestock.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tighd Mhic Dubhghaill View Post
    I would suggest adding cattle/livestock to it in addition to grain. Livestock play an important role and in certain cultures (Gaelic and some Germanic tribes) was one of the most important resources. The tribes involved in the German migrations in the time of Marius were almost entirely pastoral. It would be interesting to have the resources have different importances to different cultures. For example to simulate the importance of grain for the Romans, Rome could gain a public order bonus in areas with grain and have cheaper recruitment. The Parthians and Sarmatians could suffer population growth penalties in the absence of horses and cheaper recruitment with additional experience with horses. The Germans could have a similar situation with cattle/livestock.
    have you got sources on the exporting of livestock to other regions? if so then im open to adding it.

As we cant restrict the trade of resources (i tried), we are only add trade resources and not resources which are assumed.

Also adding cultural effects to regions that produce the resource i dont think is possible with the system we are aiming to implement unforuntely.

Sorry I was slow to respond there. For the prevalence of cattle in the British Isles I have as my evidence an article published by Emania, the bulletin of the Navan Research Group, called 'Evidence of Dairying at Dún Ailinne' by Finbar McCormick. In it evidence is presented for a dairy-cattle based economy, he skips over a bit of the evidence of the cattle based economy in general and goes staright to his proff of the emphasis placed on dairy but it's useful because Dún Ailinne was one of the capitals/royal sites of Ireland during the period you're looking at (so was Navan Fort). It provides strong evidence for the importance of cattle from its numerical data.

For the Germans the writings of Caesat and Tacitus as well as accounts of the Cimbri-Teutones migration and battles with Gaius Marius.

In both cultures the penalty for murder was a payment of cattle (Tacitus writes in Germania: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/tacitus1.html), the Irish habit of doing this is well recorded and extended well into the Middle Ages (it was still practiced in the 14th century). Other evidence includes the focus on cattle-raiding in Irish mythology, one of the most important stories being the Tain of 'The Cattle Raid of Cooley' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A1..._C%C3%BAailnge).

Trading cattle via sea is pretty hard
    Balbor

Former Creative Director
    Former Head Unit Modeller and Texture
    Fourth Age:Total War

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tighd Mhic Dubhghaill View Post
    Sorry I was slow to respond there. For the prevalence of cattle in the British Isles I have as my evidence an article published by Emania, the bulletin of the Navan Research Group, called 'Evidence of Dairying at Dún Ailinne' by Finbar McCormick. In it evidence is presented for a dairy-cattle based economy, he skips over a bit of the evidence of the cattle based economy in general and goes staright to his proff of the emphasis placed on dairy but it's useful because Dún Ailinne was one of the capitals/royal sites of Ireland during the period you're looking at (so was Navan Fort). It provides strong evidence for the importance of cattle from its numerical data.

For the Germans the writings of Caesat and Tacitus as well as accounts of the Cimbri-Teutones migration and battles with Gaius Marius.

In both cultures the penalty for murder was a payment of cattle (Tacitus writes in Germania: http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/tacitus1.html), the Irish habit of doing this is well recorded and extended well into the Middle Ages (it was still practiced in the 14th century). Other evidence includes the focus on cattle-raiding in Irish mythology, one of the most important stories being the Tain of 'The Cattle Raid of Cooley' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A1..._C%C3%BAailnge).
    Sorry if i was not clear enoug, it is clear that there was trade in the dairy and cattle industry.

My query is more how far that trade spread, eg would the British send cattle to rome to be sold or was it more locally traded. It seems unlikely that huge herds of cattle would be moved long distances as trade goods.

Does the paper touch on that ?

Cheers for the info mate

It can't be all that hard to move cattle off an island, can it?

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Roach View Post
    It can't be all that hard to move cattle off an island, can it?

Build an ark!