Thread: Abbout the overarm thing...

Default Abbout the overarm thing...

i made this topic to make a single question and a don't want this to turn in a giant overarm vs underhand mess. And yes i think the question is important enough to have its own thread.I was looking at some EB2 pics and...Will only hoplites use their spears overarm and other spearman (like militians or barbarian spearman) use their spears underhand or every single spearman in the game will use overarm ?

Default Re: Abbout the overarm thing...

like militians
    what are those?

or every single spearman in the game will use overarm ?
    the phalanx type will use for sure underarm.

and i dont think you should open this thread,by watching the previews and the screenshots of battles your curiosity would be satisfied.

The MACEDONIAN phalanx will use undearm. and this is not spearman its a phalangite.

Not this again...

This guy is clearly using overarm grip, so it is effective. End of discussion .

Try thrusting upwards with an overhand grip held tightly. Not possible (watch your pinky and ring finger come off the grip). It's all about the height of the opponent versus your own and what will work in that situation. They likely switched hand grips for the technique, just as any martial artist does, but since they're working in tandem with their team in tight regulated formation, they're using standard techniques MOST of the time. It's not, "Hey, I'll do this, while you do that.", but rather everyone working in unison until it's skirmishing time when the enemy breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Try thrusting upwards with an overhand grip held tightly. Not possible (watch your pinky and ring finger come off the grip). It's all about the height of the opponent versus your own and what will work in that situation. They likely switched hand grips for the technique, just as any martial artist does, but since they're working in tandem with their team in tight regulated formation, they're using standard techniques MOST of the time. It's not, "Hey, I'll do this, while you do that.", but rather everyone working in unison until it's skirmishing time when the enemy breaks.
    I think you misunderstand what stance OP means.

There are essentially three stances for spearman. Overarm is similar to throwing stance, with thumb pointing backward, stabbing down (that's how EB2 will portray hoplites I think). Underam, held over shield is often discussed too as hoplites' main stance, let's not discuss one vs. other here...but OP means spear held under the shield, stabbing upwards. Many spearmen are portrayed like this in both RTW and M2TW. It's not workable for hoplites, because hoplon in shield wall is too large and blocks the spear from pointing upward. But spearmen with smaller shields could use that stance, and it was quite common because it's the only way the buttspike can be utilized to brace against charge. That's what OP is asking about, if other spearmen will be forced into utilizing the same stance as hoplites (I hope not).

If it's an animation issue, then it's not a matter of this or that, but following the limitations of the engine.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Konig91 View Post
    Not this again...
    it never ends, it never ends...

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Apollodotos I Soter View Post
    it never ends, it never ends...
    It will never end, if we mortals end it, the overhand thing gods will come themselves and re-establish it....
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

Tall hoplites (the frontline) fought downwards with an overhand style, stabbing at the enemy's face. Smaller hoplites used the underhand thrust so as to avoid getting in the way of the larger hoplites up front.