Thread: Possible to add Alexander.exe after an install?

Default Possible to add Alexander.exe after an install?

Hello,

I have just finished a clean install of 2.5 which I then patched to 2.6... but having done that I started a game. However, a few hours later, I decided to download RTW:Alexander (cheap on Steam) to make use of the improved AI.

1) Is it possible for me to add the Alexander.exe and/or files to make use of the AI, or do I need to do a fresh install all over again?

I use RTW:Gold/Steam version, so yeah.

Many thanks,

2) Bonus question: Any way I can import the Alexander general for use in Surrectum?

Default Re: Possible to add Alexander.exe after an install?

Whilst not a Steam user for RTW/RSII - I would recommend using a clean install (ie starting from a clan Steam RTW/BI/Alex) and then installing v2.5 and patching to v2.6.

However, keep your .sav's - for then you should (not 100% sure, but others have switched mid-game) be able to restart, but this time using Alex as the base.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Whilst not a Steam user for RTW/RSII - I would recommend using a clean install (ie starting from a clan Steam RTW/BI/Alex) and then installing v2.5 and patching to v2.6.

However, keep your .sav's - for then you should (not 100% sure, but others have switched mid-game) be able to restart, but this time using Alex as the base.
    Umm, what should my folder be looking like? I mean, RTW:Gold is a separate install from Alexander (which is standalone) , do I need to drag and drop everything from my Alexander folder into my RTW/BI folder, or just select files?

Quote Originally Posted by Rushwithoutmercy View Post
    Umm, what should my folder be looking like? I mean, RTW:Gold is a separate install from Alexander (which is standalone) , do I need to drag and drop everything from my Alexander folder into my RTW/BI folder, or just select files?
    Understood - whilst, as noted, I don't use Steam (if I can help it), I do recall that the original RTW installs a bit like that too - RTW & BI in one set and Alex in another.

That said, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, I believe. Make sure the two installs are both 'clean' (I would create new ones, but I don't know how Steam copes with multiple mods - one of the reasons I dislike it is that it takes away choice and I also dislike the more recent 'licensing' changes that just about all have done)...

Then install v2.5 and patch to v2.6 on both.

Have separate Launcher shortcuts and make sure you know which are which. I hope an actual Steam user might confirm?

Me - I'd always buy the disks.........
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

I probably did it wrong, but RS2 straight up broke for me using RTW Gold so I attempted to do an installation of 2.5 to the separate Alexander folder then patched it to 2.6, but when I tried to launch the launcher that was in my Alex folders, I was notified that I installed RS2 incorrectly. So can someone also assist in using Alex with steam?

I've managed to start a 0-turn Rome campaign with the Alex.exe. My problem, is that I can't change my preferences, from the launcher in the folder.

I get this message - unable to open file Crogram Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Rome Total War Alexander\preferences\preferences.txt".

Can anyone help?

I'm pretty sure you can continue a rome.exe and bi.exe campaign with the alex.exe but you can't start a campaign with the alex.exe and swith back to the others.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC