Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavalry charges through infantry like a knife through butter...

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

Icon8 Cavalry charges through infantry like a knife through butter...

I don't know when this problem occurred, as it never used to be so - but in my latest battle, I have just witnessed 3 heavy cavalry units charge through my phalanx of Royal Hoplites/Citizen Hoplites (x5) who were defending a gatehouse. This has meant that the cavalry, unchallenged, have managed to get to my city capture zone to butcher my reserve troops, whilst my Hoplites are rendered useless at the gates. What has been broken that has resulted in cavalry just being able to storm through solid walls of men without any loss to speed??

Default Re: Cavalry charges through infantry like a knife through butter...

Not sure. Between them really screwing up formation behaviours and unit mass, it's a mystery what is even working as it should any more.

This is an issue that has been reported on the TW forums, and is allegedly 'In Progress' for a fix. So maybe we'll get one by 2016, or maybe they'll abandon the game before then. 50/50.

Scientia potentia est. Eam bene tege!

a Royal spartan breaching in formation, wont fall down unless hit in the rear or side. Most likely you moved them forward or some such.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Quote Originally Posted by DeliCiousTZM View Post
    a Royal spartan breaching in formation, wont fall down unless hit in the rear or side. Most likely you moved them forward or some such.
    Nah, there's currently an issue wherein cavalry can somehow maintain momentum through a braced unit or two of melee or spear infantry and come out the other side as if they had 'slipped' through.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...fending-troops

Scientia potentia est. Eam bene tege!

that was fixed in 13.1 though

Hot knife through butter. A non-heated knife might struggle with butter especially if it's dull or the butter is cold or semi-frozen.

The reason for this is Warscape and Warscape alone. The engine lacks unit collision, so forget about the 300 scenario of holding a tight space, as you can just simply spam your way through the enemy lines if you want to. Lots of scripting has been added which tries to simulate unit collision, but in reality it's not really there, hence the clipping issues.

This pull through tactic was meant to be fixed. Are they capable at being at this level in the gaming industry?

68 Powers's Avatar Campidoctor

I dont know why people bother complaining about the bugs in this game, you'll be complaining forever in reality because CA doesn't really give a . Gotta get that Rome 2: Alexander DLC out rather than fix any bugs.
    ‡Peace on earth - Death to the Enemy!‡

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Death from Anon View Post
    I don't know when this problem occurred, as it never used to be so - but in my latest battle, I have just witnessed 3 heavy cavalry units charge through my phalanx of Royal Hoplites/Citizen Hoplites (x5) who were defending a gatehouse. This has meant that the cavalry, unchallenged, have managed to get to my city capture zone to butcher my reserve troops, whilst my Hoplites are rendered useless at the gates. What has been broken that has resulted in cavalry just being able to storm through solid walls of men without any loss to speed??
    it is unfortunately a bug Anon have a look

NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post

Proves exactly why CA should ditch Warscape for their next title!

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

If you think so do not miss to vote on my specific thread about it
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Oh yes pull through. Its funny we had been using it in MPC for months before people even picked it up properly. Well remove formation attack and you will see casualties soar, also consider keeping a backup spear behind the first group, it will make it devilishly hard to pull through.

This works with infantry too. Are you sick of watching hopilite slowly grinding some weak unit down? Remove formation attack and pull through! Now your hopilite will go toe to toe slaughtering those pesky peasants in record time!
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Quote Originally Posted by FieryMastermind View Post
    The reason for this is Warscape and Warscape alone. The engine lacks unit collision, so forget about the 300 scenario of holding a tight space, as you can just simply spam your way through the enemy lines if you want to. Lots of scripting has been added which tries to simulate unit collision, but in reality it's not really there, hence the clipping issues.
    And that seems realistic in any way? Physics dictate that superior mass would eventually push the 300 defenders back...

And the cavalry pull through has been patched to a certain extent. Cavalry is less able to do so, except on the flanks on the units and will suffer high casualty while doing so. People talking about it as if its pre-patch still.

Playing under the new patch, I can't get my cavalry to pull through mobs, much less spear infantry. If anything, it feels more like the early "sticky cavalry" issue than pull-through.

Your personal anecdote may vary, I guess.

Yeah, pull-through was fixed.

Are you playing with mods, Anon?

also, unit collision is in Rome 2... You can clearly see men being pushed around when 2 friendly units move through each other.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    Yeah, pull-through was fixed.

Are you playing with mods, Anon?

also, unit collision is in Rome 2... You can clearly see men being pushed around when 2 friendly units move through each other.
    I was fixed or is fixed? ThePrussianPrince uploaded the video above on the 2nd of June that was after the 13.1 update.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    And that seems realistic in any way? Physics dictate that superior mass would eventually push the 300 defenders back...
    I gotta come in here...
    It does not work like that. You talk of physics, but you greatly misunderstand. Yes, if it was one brainless stone block pushing against a smaller brainless stone block, but we are talking about PEOPLE here that do not want to brainlessly die. They want to win, but common logic won`t let them just squeeze against each other- They need ROOM to fight. The first row will attack, while those behind wait their turn - they don`t all mush up no matter how much RTW2 tries to make you think they would.

With your logic Boudica with her 200000 men should`ve swept aside the Romans with 10000 crushing them because- physics!

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    I was fixed or is fixed? ThePrussianPrince uploaded the video above on the 2nd of June that was after the 13.1 update.
    It IS fixed. The 13.1 patch came on the 17th of June, more than 2 weeks after the video...
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Oh please, how many historical battles are proving your wrong at the moment?

And the cavalry pull through has been patched to a certain extent. Cavalry is less able to do so, except on the flanks on the units and will suffer high casualty while doing so. People talking about it as if its pre-patch still.
    This is indeed true, it only took what... 13.1 patches for them to fix calvary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast