Thread: UV mapping problems - merging models causes MS3D and converter to crash

Default UV mapping problems - merging models causes MS3D and converter to crash

When I tried to edit the uppermost part of the peasant torso texture it ended up distorted ingame, but it looked like that in MS3D also. Then I figured I could select and remap the affected faces using texture coordination (remapped from the front, moved and scaled) which fixed the problem in MS3D, the texture looked like it was supposed to. But ingame it still looks distorted. When I tried changing the padded peasabt texture I managed to make it look right on the upper part of the torso (vertical lines are vertical not diagonal as they were before I remapped) but now it looks distorted in other parts instead. In MS3D it all looks fine. Is there any solution to this or is it a result of the vertex structure that can't be fixed? Do I need to make the model from scratch?

EDIT

I made new helms from scratch and got them working in the game. When I UV-mapped them using lith unwrap it caused the mesh-ms3d converter and ms3d to crash. Tha latter gave me this error message.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: ms3d.exe
    Application Version: 1.8.4.0
    Application Timestamp: 48bfba6c
    Fault Module Name: ms3d.exe
    Fault Module Version: 1.8.4.0
    Fault Module Timestamp: 48bfba6c
    Exception Code: 40000015
    Exception Offset: 00281e5c
    OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0352
    Additional Information 2: de7d9eaad13029eaec3a4eb162e77b33
    Additional Information 3: 044b
    Additional Information 4: b2274d691f8fef111f64cb399bc24404

Does anyone know what is wrong? I feel like every problem I get around brings about a bigger one here.
    Last edited by VltimaRatio; August 14, 2014 at 11:19 AM.
    Winter is Coming

Default Re: MS3D Remapping part of unit texture - change not taking place ingame?

Show any screenshot

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Default Re: MS3D Remapping part of unit texture - change not taking place ingame?

Quote Originally Posted by VltimaRatio View Post
    ...Is there any solution to this or is it a result of the vertex structure that can't be fixed? Do I need to make the model from scratch?
    Please take a look at the this.
    Please read carefully to the end, then follow the link at the end of that post.
    I think there you will find all that you need.
    If not, we are still here right?
    Ask again.

Here's a screen

Tried the unwrapper thing, didn't get it right but I'll try again later
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails comparison.png  
    Winter is Coming

Open milkshape and start texture coordinator texture. it looks as if you merged some shapes of the model and Milkshape found that some vertices should be merged too.

It does look a bit odd in the texture view. Might try and remap it in a different way.
    Winter is Coming

Could be that there is nothing abnormal with the original UV mapping of the model.
    Stripes and chequers -when they are present in the textures- are artifacts of inevitable reference of how accurate and smooth the UV mapping really is.
    So, if the original UV mapping was not smooth, it wouldn't show on a (relatively) "smooth" texture.
    If you cannot make it work on your own upload the files you are using and I will give them a look -have done this for others you know.
    I will need the original files and those modified by you as well, complete with textures and normal maps.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Obviusly is a matter of accidentaly merged vertices of the torso...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

paleologos

thanks for the offer, if you're still able to do this I'll send you the files, though I'll give it one more shot doing what AnthoniusII said in another thread, by duplicating and deleting, then remapping parts.

There's a modified helmet I'd like to remap the texture for as well with a similar problem as the one with the torso.
    Winter is Coming

paleologos

thanks for the offer, if you're still able to do this I'll send you the files, though I'll give it one more shot doing what AnthoniusII said in another thread, by duplicating and deleting, then remapping parts.

There's a modified helmet I'd like to remap the texture for as well with a similar problem as the one with the torso.
    Ready when you are...

Well, I tried assigning the textures in different ways, seems no matter how painstakingly I assign the vertices the game just plain ignores it even if the unwrapper shows it as being as I want it to be. Only option I can see is to take the meshes apart and reskinning but merging them after assigning textures causes problems in itself... I would be very grateful if you could have a look at these. What I was trying to do-
    1. Edit the plain peasant torso so that the vertical thing with the laces appears vertical on the model instead of bending inwards towards the neck
    2. Edit the padded leather torso so that vertical lines appear vertical all around
    3. The helms, of the plain spearman model (I can just copy them onto the other units from there), UV mapped so that the band with nails around the edge near the bottom of the helmets displays properly with the nails evenly spaced (I tried using cylindrical unwrapping but it still didn't show up as I wanted it) and the two nails on the noseguard bit of the ones with noseguards, seems to disappear when I edit any part of the model... I don't know if this takes much time but it would be of great help. I think everything needed is in the archive here.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Winter is Coming

Well, I tried assigning the textures in different ways, seems no matter how painstakingly I assign the vertices the game just plain ignores it even if the unwrapper shows it as being as I want it to be. Only option I can see is to take the meshes apart and reskinning but merging them after assigning textures causes problems in itself... I would be very grateful if you could have a look at these. What I was trying to do-
    1. Edit the plain peasant torso so that the vertical thing with the laces appears vertical on the model instead of bending inwards towards the neck
    2. Edit the padded leather torso so that vertical lines appear vertical all around
    3. The helms, of the plain spearman model (I can just copy them onto the other units from there), UV mapped so that the band with nails around the edge near the bottom of the helmets displays properly with the nails evenly spaced (I tried using cylindrical unwrapping but it still didn't show up as I wanted it) and the two nails on the noseguard bit of the ones with noseguards, seems to disappear when I edit any part of the model... I don't know if this takes much time but it would be of great help. I think everything needed is in the archive here.
    I see three models in the file.
    Do you need me to fix them all?

EDIT:

After taking a look at the gambesons I can say it is as I posted at post#7.
    It requires a lot of work to fix as it is not only a UV mapping problem.
    I would have to "re-wire" certain of the upper-back vertices, which would include deleting and replacing a number of triangles.
    I am not bragging but this actually is one of the most complex "fixes" that one can attempt with this game's graphics capabilities.
    As far as I know (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) CA has all together avoided textures with vertical lines on the upper torso.
    This is because of the inherent difficulty in making look right a 3D object whose surface is inevitably geodesic by skinning it with an -equally inevitably- flat image.

To make it easier to understand, think of the map of the globe (planet earth).
    You look at it from the top you see the Circles of latitude as perfect circles while the meridians look like radial lines that cross the pole.
    But if you look it from the side the Circles of latitude look like straight lines going east to west and the meridians look like the halves of great ellipses they really are.
    So how do you cover the surface of a sphere which is inherently spherical with a flat painting without deforming the painting? You can't.
    There are two solutions:
    Either use a geodesic image and lay the UV map "polarly", a technique that I used with good results for texturing the fluted helmets of my knights (but they are simpler objects than torsos).
    Or break the UV map where it gets distorted and lay it again as UV map of a seperate object.
    In your case the second solution is applicable but it includes the UV mapping of several triangles individually.

There are no tutorials for this (not that I would need one) as it would be too complex for the average modeller.
    Quite frankly it is not a priority for me and although I will do your models eventually you shouldn't hold your breath for them.
    Last edited by paleologos; August 13, 2014 at 01:21 PM.

I can see why that would be a problem... Thanks anyways, I'll just have to focus on other aspects of modding for the time being.

Edit

Even if the torso things are very time consuming, how about UV mapping a cylinder? I decided to try what you said and make separate groups, while making the models from scratch. This way it looks better in 3D and has the advantage that I can edit the shape of the helm itself without screwing up the band texture because of faces having shared vertices. In the model here I'm trying to give the metal band with nails texture to the two band groups, kind of unwrapping it so it becomes a 2D strip of vertices kind of like cutting a paper band in two and then putting it back together to a 3D shape (so that it isn't stretched or distorted). However I still can't seem to get it right. If you're too busy to do it can you please tell me what the procedure is? Any setting in lithunwrap that needs to be applied or something I've missed? I've tried selecting faces individually and assigning texture bit by bit but it ends up looking all blurry and weird.

Edit 2

Seems like planar mapping is the way to go, just need to figure out how to mirror the texture right
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by VltimaRatio; August 14, 2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: attachment of file
    Winter is Coming