Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Football 2014/15 (EPL - kicks off 16/8/14)

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Fantasy Football 2014/15 (EPL - kicks off 16/8/14)

For once, having three Chelsea players paid off. Although I should have chosen Ivanovic instead of Cahill

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

61 points, not too bad for a first game ever. I have Mata & Young who are both bound to drop in price and no free transfer (I raged and went Lovren->Chester). I have half a mind to WC to avoid losing value but I know I should wait until September.

edit: Why didn't Sturridge get bonus points
    Last edited by Gallus; August 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gallus View Post
    61 points, not too bad for a first game ever. I have Mata & Young who are both bound to drop in price and no free transfer (I raged and went Lovren->Chester). I have half a mind to WC to avoid losing value but I know I should wait until September.

edit: Why didn't Sturridge get bonus points
    An alternative is just to take an 8 point hit and save the WC for a major overhaul in February-March when teams can go really nuts.

is it crazy to use WC for 2 transfers (-8)? Because I will make 2 more transfers, it's just a question of WC.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Yes, most definitely crazy. You want to save that for when you want to make a good 4+ changes. 8 point hit really isn't too bad. Bear in mind though you get one free transfer each week, so it will only be a 4 point hit.

I had an absolute shocker this week. Don't know what I was thinking. I've already made two changes, and instantly regretted one of them.
    Last edited by Azog 150; August 19, 2014 at 02:52 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

is it crazy to use WC for 2 transfers (-8)? Because I will make 2 more transfers, it's just a question of WC.
    Not got a lot of time but yeah don't wild card

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

I did OK, but I did swap Diego Costa for Sturridge at last minute and while it made no difference this week, in the longer term he may be a better bet.

I took the -8 hit. I'm playing vs average next week in H2H so I should still manage a win. I did Young->De Jong and Caulker->PvA. No I'm not crazy. That should've been my team from the start but I panicked at 11:20. It probably won't pay off but I like my team a lot more now and that's all that matters isn't it? I kept Mata for 1 more week, in case of another dreadful game I'll swap him for Sterling.

edse's Avatar Domesticus

Hmm, is it the global average or our average?

edit: Maybe I should have checked my previous match. It's the global average.
    Last edited by edse; August 19, 2014 at 05:47 PM.

What do you guys mean by using "WC" ?

WC to me is World Cup or World Class xD
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    What do you guys mean by using "WC" ?

WC to me is World Cup or World Class xD
    WC = Wild Card

It allows us to have unlimited transfers over one game week, we're given 2 over the season which we can use to change our teams completely without having to take -4 hits. We can use one at any time in the season whilst the other has to be used in January

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I had a nightmare week and I'm languishing in the bottom three already . I would have been better having Baines on my bench instead of Hutton.

I'm thinking of dropping 12 points straight away. I regret the decision to put Bojan into save money. I regret De Gea in goal - I was expecting Van Gaal to have brought at least some of his patented defensive discipline to Man Utd. I know I'll probably have to ship out Chambers at some point as soon as Mertesacker is playing again.

I screwed up my team selection to begin with so I guess it's best I fix it early. There are 38 games and making up less than a point per set of games is more doable than relying on Bojan to score a bucket load of goals this season...no idea what I was thinking there.

Edit: You watch. Bojan will go score five now this week!
    Last edited by Omnipotent-Q; August 21, 2014 at 01:26 PM.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post
    I had a nightmare week and I'm languishing in the bottom three already . I would have been better having Baines on my bench instead of Hutton.

I'm thinking of dropping 12 points straight away. I regret the decision to put Bojan into save money. I regret De Gea in goal - I was expecting Van Gaal to have brought at least some of his patented defensive discipline to Man Utd. I know I'll probably have to ship out Chambers at some point as soon as Mertesacker is playing again.

I screwed up my team selection to begin with so I guess it's best I fix it early. There are 38 games and making up less than a point per set of games is more doable than relying on Bojan to score a bucket load of goals this season...no idea what I was thinking there.

Edit: You watch. Bojan will go score five now this week!

No matter what time of the season it is Q, a -12 is always a big call, my pet peeve with the budget third forward is sooner or later you'll want all of your forwards to be the big point potentials and finding that extra 3 or 4 million (at least) to upgrade them can cause major damage to other areas of your squad with multiple transfers or even a WC being used to sort it out, I've a third of my budget tied up in the forwards as it makes upgrading them slightly easier, hope the moves pay off.

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
    No matter what time of the season it is Q, a -12 is always a big call, my pet peeve with the budget third forward is sooner or later you'll want all of your forwards to be the big point potentials and finding that extra 3 or 4 million (at least) to upgrade them can cause major damage to other areas of your squad with multiple transfers or even a WC being used to sort it out, I've a third of my budget tied up in the forwards as it makes upgrading them slightly easier, hope the moves pay off.
    I think you are over reacting just like I did last year.

Just take a deep breath and think about it, because you can probably avoid losing -12 points and still keep 11 really good players each week.

For Goalkeepers you are a bit weak.

In defense Baines is a huge point sink but Ferdinand, Hutton and Duff are probably excellent people for rotation.

In Midfield you got some of the expected heavy hitters. You didn't luck out on the scoring but they all look good.

In attack you got two of the most promising attackers and an interesting budget prospect.

What I would do:

1) Secure the defense.

2) Select a better goalkeeper unles Van Gaal shores up the defense.

3) Try to create a more point efficient midfield. There is a lot of quality in the 8.5-9 bracket so unless Hazard and Sanchez start to play really well they should be dropped.

As I see it the only huge emergency right now is Baines who will face Arsenal and Chelsea while Everton is in horrendous form.

So replacing him is probably a good idea. Select a defender cheap enough so that you can also upgrade Chambers next week (Ferdinand, Hutton and Baines replacement can play this week if if Chambers is dropped from the Arsenal team).

Then: Each week you can chose between replacing De Gea, Chambers or optimize the midfield depending on what you want to achieve. A -4 pointer may be worth it to buy promising players before price increases but otherwise I don't think the team is bad enough to panic about.

I wonder who I should play in defense this week.

1) PvA: Utd plays with kids and Ashley Young in defense so PvA could get forward a lot and send some quality crosses. On the other hand Utd can't play this poorly again so -1 point for goals conceded is likely.
    2) Bruce: Stoke sucks, but I already have Chester in the team. Doubling up on Hull D sounds insane. Then again, it's Stoke. The won't score more than 1.
    3) Hutton: Villa defense is much improved but I can't see another clean sheet for them. 2 CSs in a row for Villa? Come on.

edit: I went with PvA. Let's see how bad Utd really is

edit2: Come on De Jong, get on the ing pitch!
    Last edited by Gallus; August 23, 2014 at 07:41 AM.

Well this , I'm wildcarding tonight.

edit: wildcarded. New team:

Krul (Elliot)
    PvA, Ivanovic, Rose, (Hutton, Duff)
    Silva, Mata, De Jong, Fabregas, Sigurdsson
    Sturridge, Costa, (Jutkiewicz)

I had to do it before Ivanovic rose in price, I hope Silva and Sturridge don't get injured tomorrow lol. I like this team a lot more. It's very nicely balanced.
    Last edited by Gallus; August 24, 2014 at 02:53 PM.

Well this , I'm wildcarding tonight.

edit: wildcarded. New team:

Krul (Elliot)
    PvA, Ivanovic, Rose, (Hutton, Duff)
    Silva, Mata, De Jong, Fabregas, Sigurdsson
    Sturridge, Costa, (Jutkiewicz)

I had to do it before Ivanovic rose in price, I hope Silva and Sturridge don't get injured tomorrow lol. I like this team a lot more. It's very nicely balanced.
    Why Wildcard before the final games of the week? Would Ivanovic really raise a lot in price between now and tomorrow evening?
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    Why Wildcard before the final games of the week? Would Ivanovic really raise a lot in price between now and tomorrow evening?
    Because WC is active until Friday and my team was . Ivanović rose already and looks like captain material. He could've scored 3 vs Leicester.

edit: what do you think about my new team? Better, right?
    Last edited by Gallus; August 25, 2014 at 05:58 AM.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I think you are over reacting just like I did last year.
    Oh for sure it was an overreaction. I had already gone nuts and done the changes by the time of your post ! But I think it had to be done in the long term. Bojan needed to go. I needed to save money somewhere to get a decent replacement, and the obvious replacement was Aguero. Not many people have him (5% or something) and I think he could potentially have a strong run of performances. I figure I fit in Aguero now before his price increases and solve the Bojan error and a few others I made simultaneously. It's an outright gamble but I calculated I cannot really afford to keep Bojan unless he's going to hit at least 12-15 goals this season. Having watched him in the Stoke team now I see 10 goals being a stretch.

I'm bottom of all my leagues right now and have the least amount of points this week out of anyone (that's even before the -12 transfers). So I really need a big performance from Aguero today. I think I'm the only one in the league with him as captain and I expect him to start with Dzeko unless I'm really, really unlucky and he has a late fitness worry. This is fantasy football tactics at it's finest - spending 12 points after a poor opening week and putting all the eggs in one basket with a gamble on a striker as captain when he might not necessarily start the game. No wonder I'm bottom right now hahahaha

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post
    Oh for sure it was an overreaction. I had already gone nuts and done the changes by the time of your post ! But I think it had to be done in the long term. Bojan needed to go. I needed to save money somewhere to get a decent replacement, and the obvious replacement was Aguero. Not many people have him (5% or something) and I think he could potentially have a strong run of performances. I figure I fit in Aguero now before his price increases and solve the Bojan error and a few others I made simultaneously. It's an outright gamble but I calculated I cannot really afford to keep Bojan unless he's going to hit at least 12-15 goals this season. Having watched him in the Stoke team now I see 10 goals being a stretch.

I'm bottom of all my leagues right now and have the least amount of points this week out of anyone (that's even before the -12 transfers). So I really need a big performance from Aguero today. I think I'm the only one in the league with him as captain and I expect him to start with Dzeko unless I'm really, really unlucky and he has a late fitness worry. This is fantasy football tactics at it's finest - spending 12 points after a poor opening week and putting all the eggs in one basket with a gamble on a striker as captain when he might not necessarily start the game. No wonder I'm bottom right now hahahaha
    your D is too weak. I made the same mistake, thinking that strikers and mids bring points anyway so why bother with expensive defense. But honestly, the expensive defenders are a bargain. Ivanovic will almost certainly score more points than any 7.0 mid or striker. I'm actually thinking 5-4-1 might be the way to go this year since the strikers are apparently getting no bonus points unless they score twice in a game...