Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real Legioners-In which patch?

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Default Real Legioners-In which patch?

A nice graphic of how Marian legionaries would perform a charge.
    Quite intimidating to be on the receiving end of, I am sure!

That initial pilum volley would be nerve-racking, men dying, pilum points embedding in your shield, perhaps even far enough to harm you through it!
    Being forced to drop your ruined shield and face the charging wall of professional heavily armoured soldiers unprotected.
    A terrifying spectacle, indeed.

Note the legionaries in the first 2-3 rows are the ones to throw their pila, I can't imagine any behind that could manage it with the extended distance and the close proximity of their comrades.

So..when we will see proper fighting Legioners (and similar othe faction units)??????
    I mean ussing their pilla (and javelins) in defence. But please DO NOT tell me to play a mod with such a change because the way you constructed the war machine mods with legioners
    as javelin men can not fit in the game's ballance because game can not recognise them either as heavy infantry nore as javelin men.
    This is your mess and you should fix it ..Unless you have a historical degree and recent finding that you have better knowlege than real historians.
    So we want to play a proper Roman Campaign...We -most of us- bought almost all your DLCs and we DEMAND to have a proper Roman Campaign.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10409158_639543929474761_7874669656556775201_n.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	310425Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1975057_583996001696221_2026689792_n.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	310426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10170948_591374987624989_2277372520474615528_n.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	310427Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10350519_617991484963339_5871647589140181218_n.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	310428
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10295261_605917896170698_3991814060971848429_o.jpg  
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Praetorian_BGX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Real Legioners-In which patch?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    ...proper Roman Campaign.
    As long as you have broken siege AI and plasma torches i cant see any proper campaign. Game suffers from severe lack of immersion and fixing Pilum glitch will not really add that much.

Also, demanding pilum fix based on "We -most of us- bought almost all your DLCs and we DEMAND..." will just make them laugh.

Do you really believe that CA will "fix the glitch" ?

Last edited by Praetorian_BGX; July 18, 2014 at 08:56 AM.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must
    ."
    -Thucydides

Real Legioners-In which patch?
    Probably in the same patch in which we'll see real hoplite phalanx (with properly sized hoplon shield and proper animations for the argive grip and attacking above the shield-wall with 3 lines of dorys) and real phalangite phalanx (in which the phalangites will attack with 5 lines of sarissas),which probably means never...Sorry to disappoint you mate,but I just don't see CA fixing these issues,even though I agree with you that they are critical issues.They've already said that they're not going to re-design the game no matter how many people ask for it.

But to be fair the legionaries can be fixed in mods,so they aren't as much of an issue as the phalanxes which are hardcoded.
    Last edited by perifanosEllinas; July 18, 2014 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perifanosEllinas View Post
    Probably in the same patch in which we'll see real hoplite phalanx (with properly sized hoplon shield and proper animations for the argive grip and attacking above the shield-wall with 3 lines of dorys) and real phalangite phalanx (in which the phalangites will attack with 5 lines of sarissas),which probably means never...Sorry to disappoint you mate,but I just don't see CA fixing these issues,even though I agree with you that they are critical issues.They've already said that they're not going to re-design the game no matter how many people ask for it.

But to be fair the legionaries can be fixed in mods,so they aren't as much of an issue as the phalanxes which are hardcoded.
    Critical issues? They are pretty much just graphical...

There are far bigger issues with the game than these things listed here.
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Miles

This is a little off topic, but I'm playing my first campaign as Rome, and is it just me or do the Auxiliary Hoplites not actually have the ability to use a Phalanx? I don't know, it's been a few patches since I've played as any Greek factions, so I don't know if they removed the button or something.

Quote Originally Posted by PeonKing View Post
    This is a little off topic, but I'm playing my first campaign as Rome, and is it just me or do the Auxiliary Hoplites not actually have the ability to use a Phalanx? I don't know, it's been a few patches since I've played as any Greek factions, so I don't know if they removed the button or something.
    According to honga.net they do not have Phalanx. But on their own, they are pretty decent spear infantry, even without formation. Non auxillary hoplites have phalanx ability. Auxillary versions of the units are not always exact copy of the original unit. Best example, Auxillary Peltasts, they have 39 weapon damage in melee, which makes them more than decent reserve infantry.
    How many times someone guessed wrong about my nationality: 3
    Where do I not come from: Czech Republic, US, South America, Former Colony, Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

I don't get it? they do throw their pilums at the charge.... So what's the point!

And so far Im using a mod which allows and melee inf. to throw javelins standing.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

iWarsaw's Avatar Semisalis
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    I don't get it? they do throw their pilums at the charge.... So what's the point!

And so far Im using a mod which allows and melee inf. to throw javelins standing.
    In Rome 1 I line my armies up to the enemy and we just sit there and throw javelins. Theres something about having an entire Roman army approach a army of barbarians hurling rocks with slings then when my army advances I stop, enable guard mode, turn on auto fire for the first line of hastati which then they throw their javelins, then I charge. It's a completely difference experience then just having units auto throw javelins on the charge.

Also they can't throw when being charged is one point which suck. Again its nice having a line of hastati in front of a line of principles. The principe I keep auto fire off but I keep it on on the hastati. The hastati automaticly throw their javelins as they get charged. Then if I need to flank units I can have my principe keep their javelins to throw into the rear, or if the first rank of hastati breaks I just turn on auto fire on my principe.

And are you using (i cant remember the mod) that its an ability with a spheres round it so you micro each unit to throw the javelins right?

It's quite a difference gameplay experience that I miss a lot.
    You say you wont buy Atilla but your only lying to your self.

Quote Originally Posted by iWarsaw View Post
    And are you using (i cant remember the mod) that its an ability with a spheres round it so you micro each unit to throw the javelins right?

It's quite a difference gameplay experience that I miss a lot.
    Ehhhhhh I just enable fire mode and they just throw till they are out of ammo. Im pretty sure the AI treat them as melee inf. as its in the way I made the AI treat them.
    I havn't made them so they also throw them on charge, and they can't run away then some one charge them.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ehhhhhh I just enable fire mode and they just throw till they are out of ammo. Im pretty sure the AI treat them as melee inf. as its in the way I made the AI treat them.
    I havn't made them so they also throw them on charge, and they can't run away then some one charge them.
    Oh so its passive auto throw? Thats cool. Problem solved I guess?

Oh so its passive auto throw? Thats cool. Problem solved I guess?

Yeah the AI just let them stand and firer till they are all out and charge with them.
    Last edited by Karnil Vark Khaitan; July 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Zwirbaum View Post
    According to honga.net they do not have Phalanx. But on their own, they are pretty decent spear infantry, even without formation. Non auxillary hoplites have phalanx ability. Auxillary versions of the units are not always exact copy of the original unit. Best example, Auxillary Peltasts, they have 39 weapon damage in melee, which makes them more than decent reserve infantry.
    Yeah I mean I get the point, it just seems a little odd that they would not give Hoplites Phalanx. Even in the flavor text it talks about the Phalanx. I mean it's not like I miss it, I use Aux. Hoplites over Roman Spear Infantry (I haven't really figured out the best build for a Roman army yet, still working on it) It just thought it didn't make much sense.

I agree with the OP. The way I look at it is that in a sequel to a game, in this case Rome 1, the subsequent game should introduce new features but also build upon those with worked well or could have worked better. I understand that sometimes things need to be taken out of a game but it seems like so many of the great aspects of Rome 1 were either removed, in the case of being able to throw defensive javelins for all units that have them other than skirmishers, or were made worse - politics for example, but that's for another thread.

I do enjoy the improvements made with some of the latest patches in Rome 2 but if they let us have the javelins in defence, a better politics system with a senate floor represented e.c.t. and a family tree many people would find themselves more endeared to it like they were in Rome 1. With a few more patches fixing bugs and some really good dlc it would easily be an improvement on the first game if CA listened to what their fans want like smaller developers such as Paradox do.

Just a few thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    Critical issues? They are pretty much just graphical...
    Just graphical?!?!? Did you even read my entire post? Hoplites carrying wrong shields,grabbing them wrong,having wrong attacking animations and engaging with 1 line instead of 3 is 100% gameplay issues,nothing to do with graphics.The same goes for the phalangites engaging with 3 lines instead of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    There are far bigger issues with the game than these things listed here.
    Yes,there are.But this doesn't mean that these issues listed here should be neglected though.They play a huge role in the gameplay and immersion experience of the game.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Yeah the AI just let them stand and firer till they are all out and charge with them.
    Sweet! What mod is that? Also Rep for making me shut my mouth.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I have to disagree with the defensive Pilum throwing, as iirc there are no historical sources for that. If you find something contrary to that, show me! I'd love to see
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I have to disagree with the defensive Pilum throwing, as iirc there are no historical sources for that. If you find something contrary to that, show me! I'd love to see
    Is there a theory for why the Pilum isn't used for defensive uses? Did they use the Pilum as a defensive spear instead?

Sweet! What mod is that? Also Rep for making me shut my mouth.
    Ehhh its my Bactria Vengeance mod, but I can most the unit data, so people can copy or edit the roman unit?

Rome 3, maybe although I doubt it.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I honestly don't give a damn about historical accuracies when it comes to gaming. defensive use of the plums/javs was one of my strategies in rome 1. I liked it and like it now. why change something that works? I bet it has to do with the game engine. same with firing cones for range units. stupid as hand me downs from the warscape engine made for the musket combat. I really don't mind design changes, as every new game need some fresh air even if I don't like it. but these kind of changes or hand me downs = .

OT: another example of changes. minimal campaign map ui and the absence of unit skill trees panel. IMO, unit skill trees for generals, agents were great in shogun 2, why they didn't keep it and use it for army traditions I would never know. stupid minimal ui for campaign maps is stupid no matter how you look at it. really ing stupid decisions. after playing for a few hours last night, I just realize why I stopped playing in the first place. Don't understand the regression in UI and info panels. for a strategy game of this nature, the ing UI designers thought less info = more? how ing stupid they have to be? instead of expanding on what they had for shogun 2, they gutted all the panels into 3 to 5 sections. if you want us to have all the info without an info panel covering up the campaign map, wait for 4k resolution gaming. ing with the UI is not the solution.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast