Thread: Roman Praetorian Legions

Default Roman Praetorian Legions

So I was doing a Syracuse playthrough and I finally managed to get an army onto Italy after repelling the Roman revenge stacks on Sicily. I was about ready to march into the city of Rome itself, but ol' Hieronymos had to go back to Syracuse because Rome pulled a full stack of Early Praetorian Cohorts and Imperial era auxiliary cohorts out of its ass. This quite bothered me seeing as to how it's only 551 AUC. What's the deal?

Default Re: Roman Praetorian Legions

This seems to be an emergency stack created by the garrison script as I always encounter such a stack when I fight against Rome. Gives often a real challenge...

Yes, not only are there garrison forces that appear, but also stacks appear outside as well if you have taken settlements in Italy. If the condition is satisfied, these can be later era units.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferM View Post
    Rome pulled a full stack of Early Praetorian Cohorts and Imperial era auxiliary cohorts out of its ass. This quite bothered me seeing as to how it's only 551 AUC. What's the deal?
    rome in the hands of the AI is head wrecking in this mod with the emergency stacks as a lot of them are imperial units way before the reforms take place at at an historical date..

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa19 View Post
    rome in the hands of the AI is head wrecking in this mod with the emergency stacks as a lot of them are imperial units way before the reforms take place at at an historical date..
    I did try to convince the Team to not use scripting (the only way to produce 'reasonable' legion-based armies for the player to fight against); and even not to use the Named & Numbered - but the vote was against me....

Personally I would rather see the AI limited to the 'Generics' (which covers the first ~200 years anyway) and use regular recruitment. Even First Cohorts would be problematical (either none or armies of them!).

But it seems the players also want to fight against the named and numbered - which I could not worry about if I were not playing Rome.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I agree scripting may be the only way for AI Rome to field historically accurate armies, espicially with first cohorts and auxillaries. But I definately would be against only allowing the AI recruit the generics only, unless you mean scripting will only use generics?

I love playing as factions like Ptolymies and fighting the Rome in the late game with their numbered legions. But whhen playing a faction like the Averni or Syracuse it's much different as you come up against Rome much earlier, and those late era units feel so out of place.

Vardan the Great's Avatar Campidoctor

Guys can you tell me plz what is the post-marian reform and what historical background does it have?
    "An unexpected death is a death, an intended death - immortality"
    (c) Vardan Sparapet, before the Battle of Avarayr

kyrkac's Avatar Libertus

Those fights sound like a lot of fun to me.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I will have to (eventually) look at the scripts to see why Rome would be fielding post-Marian units so early....it could be either a script goof-up..or...the Romans are just getting to the reforms way too quickly.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Never actually fought those special roman troops.

Always killed them too fast...

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I will have to (eventually) look at the scripts to see why Rome would be fielding post-Marian units so early....it could be either a script goof-up..or...the Romans are just getting to the reforms way too quickly.
    Most likely they are just getting it to soon.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

It's always around 548 A.U.C when they hit the Marian Reforms, atleast in my campaigns... That's only 12 years or so after I began to play. Veeery early. And that is the reason why I have to destroy the Romans quickly.

I don't think it's the Marian reforms, all the other armies that Rome fields carry polybian units, it's these auto-spawned Praetorians that show up. I had already taken Akragas (and the rest of Sicily) pretty early in the game.

It is. Most of their cities already have Roman Fortresses. So they can build named and numbered legions. I remember a campaign were I met the Alaudae Legion... And it was 552 A.U.C...

Looking at descr_regions, it seems a lot of settlements have the "italy" hidden resource? This is when you check descr_regions for the non-Rome campaigns.

If so, it would appear that a bunch of settlements will very quickly be able to trigger "marian reforms" -> "AI builds praetorian_training in roma" -> "Early praetorian emergency stacks"

When you are playing as not Rome, the Rome AI does not follow the rules that Rome-Player does when playing a Rome-only campaign. Multiple settlements (not just that one) can be used by the AI to trigger marian reforms

"Sadly" both my campaigns now (Sparta, Syracuse) have Rome within choking distance...
    Last edited by Alavaria; July 26, 2014 at 04:37 PM.