Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is nothing sacred...Thor is a woman?

Default Is nothing sacred...Thor is a woman?

So the political correctness types at Marvel have ruined Thor. He's becoming a woman in the future. Why not make Freya and Sif to be men too? One more gender bender, I guess.
    http://time.com/2987551/thor-marvel-woman/

Here's the thing: a talented writer might pull it off. Neil Gaiman in the Books of Magic has the old DC character of Doctor Occult

transform into Rose when in Fairie.

So it's possible for a character to be both, but this just seems weird with a Norse god of thunder. Dr. Fate writers had a similar idea back in the nineties.

This is a stupid idea that only the best of writers can pull off without it being merely as comedic and campy as female impersonators.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 15, 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Is nothing sacred...Thor is a woman?

The more recent feminist movement (from about the 1970s, better yet, the 1980s onward) has for a while now gone to absurd lengths to outdo previous achievements of feminism, to the point that their absurdity allows the general population not to take them seriously anymore. Or, at the very least, the post third-wave feminists who spout crazy stuff like men should be milked for their sperm and consensual sex (they call it PIV) is rape.

This strikes me as a symptom of that to some extent...what exactly is the point of making Thor a woman? I honestly wouldn't dream of turning a Greek mythological persona like Athena into a masculine male character, so why is doing the opposite acceptable now? To be honest, I don't care so much because it's all rather trivial to me (I'm not a huge fan of comics too begin with). However, I can't help but see this as some sort of kowtowing to feminism; I can't think of any other reason why one would feel compelled to change the sex of Thor into that of a female. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having Batwoman (her character is pretty cool too), but it's made clear that she has nothing to do with Bruce Wayne and is not considered a replacement of Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    The more recent feminist movement (from about the 1970s, better yet, the 1980s onward) has for a while now gone to absurd lengths to outdo previous achievements of feminism, to the point that their absurdity allows the general population not to take them seriously anymore. Or, at the very least, the post third-wave feminists who spout crazy stuff like men should be milked for their sperm and consensual sex (they call it PIV) is rape.

This strikes me as a symptom of that to some extent...what exactly is the point of making Thor a woman? I honestly wouldn't dream of turning a Greek mythological persona like Athena into a masculine male character, so why is doing the opposite acceptable now? To be honest, I don't care so much because it's all rather trivial to me (I'm not a huge fan of comics too begin with). However, I can't help but see this as some sort of kowtowing to feminism; I can't think of any other reason why one would feel compelled to change the sex of Thor into that of a female. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having Batwoman (her character is pretty cool too), but it's made clear that she has nothing to do with Bruce Wayne and is not considered a replacement of Batman.
    You nailed it! This is clearly a Feminazi conspiracy, and not just Marvel trying to convince people to buy a new version of some tired character. How many comic books do the two of you buy on a regular basis as adults? Kids today don't exactly need to just get "their version" of the exact same crap you bought when you were children, if they did it is not like the typical version of Thor is not available to them in abundance.

Maybe they want someone else's money for a change, people who maybe wouldn't be interested in another rehash of the same thing. Changing a characters sex or race doesn't make it blasphemous, it is fiction for 's sake.

Artemis or Athena are rich enough in myth to make great graphic novel characters. I'd certainly read them. Doing a gender bender just because you can is as contrived as a woman can do anything. Well guess what Sherlock, she can't be a man, and a man can't be a woman, but both can be powerful and provide resonance.

Would you change the color of someone's skin in order to make them more powerful? So have an important fictional or historical character be white just because then they'd be more acceptable? How dumb. Let the characters be respected for who they are in literature. Or else let's make Miyamoto Musashi to be a black female.

I know, Achilles of Sparta was really a woman.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 15, 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    So the political correctness types at Marvel have ruined Thor. He's becoming a woman in the future. Why not make Freya and Sif to be men too? One more gender bender, I guess.
    http://time.com/2987551/thor-marvel-woman/
    Here's the thing: a talented writer might pull it off. Neil Gaiman in the Books of Magic has the old DC character of Doctor Occult
    transform into Rose when in Fairie.
    So it's possible for a character to be both, but this just seems weird with a Norse god of thunder. Dr. Fate writers had a similar idea back in the nineties.
    This is a stupid idea that only the best of writers can pull off without it being merely as comedic and campy as female impersonators.
    You do realize this is not the first time the character for Thor was changed, right? The idea of Thor comes through Mjolnir. Did you lose your when Beta Ray Bill, a horse-faced-alien, became the Thor? This outburst about Thor becoming female character shows how little some people get the idea behind these characters.

Last edited by PointOfViewGun; July 15, 2014 at 08:11 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    You do realize this is not the first time the character for Thor was changed, right? The idea of Thor comes through Mjolnir. Did you lose your when Beta Ray Bill, a horse-faced-alien, became the Thor? This outburst about Thor becoming female character shows how little some people get the idea behind these characters.
    Yep, that was a dumb idea too. The whole idea of transformation of Thor by possessing someone through Mjolnir was problematic. See Dr. Fate for similar problems.

So Superman becomes a woman. Batman is a woman. Rogue becomes a man. Professor X is a handicapped Muslim woman. It's silly.

Artemis or Athena are rich enough in myth to make great graphic novel characters. I'd certainly read them. Doing a gender bender just because you can is as contrived as a woman can do anything. Well guess what Sherlock, she can't be a man, and a man can't be a woman, but both can be powerful and provide resonance.

Would you change the color of someone's skin in order to make them more powerful? So have an important fictional or historical character be white just because then they'd be more acceptable? How dumb. Let the characters be respected for who they are in literature. Or else let's make Miyamoto Musashi to be a black female.

I know, Achilles of Sparta was really a woman.
    Fictional characters.

FICTIONAL

NOT REAL

NOT ACTUALLY MEN OR WHITE OR HUMAN BEINGS. You could make superman a ing dog, and they did so enough already!!!

Get over it, no one is burning your Chris Hemsworth poster you can have "YOUR THOR".

Yep, that was a dumb idea too. The whole idea of transformation of Thor by possessing someone through Mjolnir was problematic. See Dr. Fate for similar problems.

So Superman becomes a woman. Batman is a woman. Rogue becomes a man. Professor X is a handicapped Muslim woman. It's silly.
    Stop with this idiocy. You clearly don't get it at all. What the hell does Odin say? "Whoever wields this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." Yes, he doesn't take a few seconds to say "he or she" bohooo. Every now and then, they have a different person possess the Mjolnir and act as Thor; Beta Ray Bill, Eric Masterson... So now, the story is that male Thor becomes unworthy of wielding the hammer and a new hero emerges. It's just that the new hero is a female person. Chris Hemsworth doesn't get a sudden sex change operation.

It's not a dumb idea. It's the whole idea behind Thor. Being worthy of holding Mjolnir. At least get that right.

There are certainly things in the Marvel universe that should get some people stoned, such as Mandarin being a joke in the last Iron Man, but this is not one of them.
    The Armenian Issue

What a dopey idea about mythology. Have you ever read any myths or stick solely to comic books? Mjolnir is not Thor.

The main idea of writing diverse character post-1950 is to celebrate who the character is and their background and their beliefs and not to transform someone into something they are not in order to make them more palatable for the audience. Heroes don't have to be men and blonde and muscular. But that doesn't mean a character with a long history changes gender because, "Hey why not?".

Artemis is an empowered deity and cold and beautiful and a hunter and has no need of such ludicrous political correctness.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

New hero is also called "Thor" .. Not Helga, or Beta-Ray Bill. "Thor"

Meh.. rationalize it all you want. Its still lame.
    Last edited by Påsan; July 15, 2014 at 08:38 PM.

What a dopey idea about mythology. Have you ever read any myths or stick solely to comic books? Mjolnir is not Thor.

The main idea of writing diverse character post-1950 is to celebrate who the character is and their background and their beliefs and not to transform someone into something they are not in order to make them more palatable for the audience. Heroes don't have to be men and blonde and muscular. But that doesn't mean a character with a long history changes gender because, "Hey why not?".

Artemis is an empowered deity and cold and beautiful and a hunter and has no need of such ludicrous political correctness.
    You can't simply dismiss your lack of understanding of what the character of Thor is like that. Thor, son of Odin, does not disappear in the new storyline. He becomes unworthy of holding Mjolnir.

Perhaps he'll get his hammer back, perhaps he wont, but, for all intent and purposes there will be a new Thor who happens to be a female character.

There are many such heroes in the Marvel universe where the character is tied to an object or title.

I was unsure of this development at first but I welcome it with open arms the more I see such idiotic arguments against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post

Except we don't know that for a fact. They did explicitly pointed out that a new person takes over Mjolnir and that is because the old one becomes worthy. It's not the same guy becoming female.
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; July 15, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

In fiction, each character is unique and need not take the mantle of some other in order to have an identity. This is why this is disturbing and actually regressive for diversity, so instead of a powerful new character with godlike powers who just happens to be female, she has to be called Thor for continuity and to demonstrate the current one is unworthy. Cringe worthy. She's not powerful enough, but must have the same name to be powerful, how very simplistic and ultimately without possible rationalization.

In comics there is the Golden Age and the Silver Age, and hence an aging character is replaced with a new one, but they're NOT the same person at all. There's no need, so instead of celebrating the unique qualities which makes that person a superhero we follow so we take our own hero's journey like the Sagas, then instead each of us can lose our uniqueness and change gender on whims. Weird. Who would want to read that?
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 15, 2014 at 08:46 PM.

In fiction, each character is unique and need not take the mantle of some other in order to have an identity. This is why this is disturbing and actually regressive for diversity, so instead of a powerful new character with godlike powers who just happens to be female, she has to be called Thor for continuity and to demonstrate the current one is unworthy. Cringe worthy. She's not powerful enough, but must have the same name to be powerful, how very simplistic and ultimately without possible rationalization.

In comics there is the Golden Age and the Silver Age, and hence an aging character is replaced with a new one, but they're NOT the same person at all. There's no need, so instead of celebrating the unique qualities which makes that person a superhero we follow so we take our own hero's journey like the Sagas, then instead each of us can lose our uniqueness and change gender on whims. Weird. Who would want to read that?
    Except it's not the same person here as well. You keep failing at the basics. Keep going.
    The Armenian Issue

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Except we don't know that for a fact. They did explicitly pointed out that a new person takes over Mjolnir and that is because the old one becomes worthy. It's not the same guy becoming female.
    Except we don't know that for a fact. They did explicitly pointed out that a new person takes over Mjolnir and that is because the old one becomes worthy. It's not the same guy becoming female.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, but also it say this new person is now Thor.

Which means Thor is not a character, Its a fake identity like Zorro or Batman. Which is lame and kinda ruins the proper character.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Never understood gender bending. But if Thor is based on Mjolnir I don't get how Odin can be Thor's father.
    I guess Thor is the next Robin Boy Wonder.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 15, 2014 at 09:23 PM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Which means Thor is not a character, Its a fake identity like Zorro or Batman. Which is lame and kinda ruins the proper character.
    Yes, for all intents and purposes she is the new Thor, till the real one gets his act together. When Beta Ray Bill became the Thor the comic was still published under Thor, not Beta Ray Bill. Same goes for many other people who became Thor. What's happening now already happened. The only difference is the gender of the person taking over Mjolnir and the armor.
    The Armenian Issue

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

https://twitter.com/AgentM/statuses/489072025877499904

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR."
    I would have no problem if she had the power of Thor and took over Thor's book, but since Thor is actually Thor's given name (and I'm assuming not her name) it seems a little odd.

Just like I'd be cool with a female taking the mantle of Captain America, but it would be a little weird if marvel introduced a female character and said "This is Steve Rodgers"
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    https://twitter.com/AgentM/statuses/489072025877499904
    I would have no problem if she had the power of Thor and took over Thor's book, but since Thor is actually Thor's given name (and I'm assuming not her name) it seems a little odd.
    Just like I'd be cool with a female taking the mantle of Captain America, but it would be a little weird if marvel introduced a female character and said "This is Steve Rodgers"
    Which happened before. In one of the alternate universes, Thor was outright woman. We'll see how they explain the story.
    The Armenian Issue

I know, she's this kind of Thor, the goddess of political correctness gone insane instead of thunder.

And it will be as dumb as Keeanu Reaves playing one of the 47 Ronin, the biggest box office bomb of all time....

And one is reminded of this for some reason....

All superheroes can have an identity crisis. See:
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; July 15, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

I know, she's this kind of Thor, the goddess of political correctness gone insane instead of thunder.
    And it will be as dumb as Keeanu Reaves playing one of the 47 Ronin, the biggest box office bomb of all time....
    And one is reminded of this for some reason....
    All superheroes can have an identity crisis. See:
    Nah, you just had a stance on something you didn't get at all. You'll get over it once the issue is out.
    The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast