Thread: Feedback/critiques thread

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Feedback/critiques thread

Hey there guys

Marshall of France here, historical researcher and helper for Sebidee's mod. I decided to create a feedback/critique thread which will be taken in, as long as you give constructive criticism, pointing out any flaws or errors, or want to be involved, then this is the thread to come. We will also know better of what you want improved, and if there's any problems, PM me or Sebidee.

So please, give your feedback!

Default Requests and Suggestions

If there are any suggestions or requests, any stuff that you want or changed, please post here and I will post this stuff to Sebdiee.

Default Re: Feedback/critiques thread

Hi Marshall and Sebidee, superb jobs you're delivering with these unit rosters !!

Is it possible for you to create a sort of FAQ thread in your main folder ?
    - For instance, mentioning if your unit rosters are compatible with the bigger TWR2 overhauls like D.E.I. (Divide Et Impera) , Radious, etc.
    That would stop a big answering job

Cheers & Keep up the good work ! (+rep.)
    Last edited by Celtoi; July 22, 2014 at 04:51 AM.

Sure mate, we will consider doing this! Thanks a lot!

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

We need some questions to be frequently asked first! I'll go over the comments on previous mods and try to com up with a list.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Is it possible to change muscle meshes of the units? I always found weird how big and full of muscles most barbarian/naked units look like, is is possible to edit them so they look less "strong" and big?

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rato View Post
    Is it possible to change muscle meshes of the units? I always found weird how big and full of muscles most barbarian/naked units look like, is is possible to edit them so they look less "strong" and big?
    Yes, probably by changing the diffuse and the textures. There are also some bodies that are less muscular.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Yes, probably by changing the diffuse and the textures. There are also some bodies that are less muscular.
    Is it too hard to do in your opinion? I was thinking about reading your guide and trying, just for my personal use.

Hi all, new to the boards here but on finding your work I wanted to come and post. Love what you are doing with this pack. I've tried out a number of the big overhauls for multi-player campaigns, but they all feel like they introduce as many quirks as they fix so a unit pack like this is exactly what I've been looking for.

I do have one suggestion however, though I realize this would probably be much lower on the priority list than finishing off the unit packs:

Personally, I would love to see the new units added to the rosters of the minor factions across the game. Maybe not all the new units if some are especially specific to a certain major faction, but some at least. This would help reduce the "special snowflake" feeling the major factions get otherwise, while all the minor factions are stuck with vanilla rosters. I always feel odd having lots of options, but then fighting generic Celt army A over and over.

This would also give the unit pack a huge boost for playing with the All Factions mod, which would be incredible. This is especially true for people who like to play co-op campaigns as the same culture where CA has only released a single faction (Suebi for example).

Since I know some players do prefer the major factions to stand out, maybe including this as an optional add-on would make the most sense.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Helequin View Post
    Hi all, new to the boards here but on finding your work I wanted to come and post. Love what you are doing with this pack. I've tried out a number of the big overhauls for multi-player campaigns, but they all feel like they introduce as many quirks as they fix so a unit pack like this is exactly what I've been looking for.

I do have one suggestion however, though I realize this would probably be much lower on the priority list than finishing off the unit packs:

Personally, I would love to see the new units added to the rosters of the minor factions across the game. Maybe not all the new units if some are especially specific to a certain major faction, but some at least. This would help reduce the "special snowflake" feeling the major factions get otherwise, while all the minor factions are stuck with vanilla rosters. I always feel odd having lots of options, but then fighting generic Celt army A over and over.

This would also give the unit pack a huge boost for playing with the All Factions mod, which would be incredible. This is especially true for people who like to play co-op campaigns as the same culture where CA has only released a single faction (Suebi for example).

Since I know some players do prefer the major factions to stand out, maybe including this as an optional add-on would make the most sense.
    Well generally the units are added, units aren't set to specific factions (ususally) but are instead set to culture groups. If you play the campaign you will see them used by other factions. They are not avaliable for custom battles though.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebidee View Post
    Well generally the units are added, units aren't set to specific factions (ususally) but are instead set to culture groups. If you play the campaign you will see them used by other factions. They are not avaliable for custom battles though.
    Oh! That's perfect then. I was of course looking at Custom Battles to see all the rosters at a glance. Thanks for clarifying

Please make a Nomad Unit Pack

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

They are coming soon, any suggestions for units?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtoi View Post
    Hi Marshall and Sebidee, superb jobs you're delivering with these unit rosters !!

Is it possible for you to create a sort of FAQ thread in your main folder ?
    - For instance, mentioning if your unit rosters are compatible with the bigger TWR2 overhauls like D.E.I. (Divide Et Impera) , Radious, etc.
    That would stop a big answering job

Cheers & Keep up the good work ! (+rep.)
    Incidentally, I also wanted to know the answer to this question. The units you make are by far my favourite in TWC, but it's offputting that no changes to gameplay are made in this mod which is a shame if you get used to playing mods like VV or DeI. A quick 'n' dirty list of what overhaul mods (if any) could be compatible with Sebidee unit pack with a use at your own peril disclaimer would be enough for me at least.
    Or, if anyone else can share what mods the play Sebidee with, please do
    The afore-mentioned personage has been marked for honorable execution
    in accordance to the lawful tradition and practice of the Morag Tong Guild.
    The Bearer of this non-disputable document has official sanctioned license
    to kill the afore-mentioned personage.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Thanks Devrie, I had actually intended writing a FAQ but guess it slipped my mind ... for 10 months

As for compatibility, the unit mods should be compatible with pretty much everything. It will certainly work with Radious and DeI although I think with so any new units the rosters could become a little saturated which probably wouldn't be much good for most people. Those mods also make pretty hefty changes to battle mechanics which means some units may not act as I intended. Unfortunately I don't use large overhauls so I don't know how the units would be changed. I wouldn't recommend combining the units with a large overhaul but you still technically can.

Really it all comes down to personal preference. I would not like rosters with hundreds of units but some might. Likewise the stats of units with overhauls might be a little wonky but honestly I doubt they would be extreme.
    Hey! Check out my mods!

Or something built in to your packs that enables a limiter on strong troops, like Med2.

Hello there.

I think you got the Takabara perfect in terms of their use of shield and bow, but there are some inconsistencies and historical inaccuracies:

The unit is too cheap considering how effective it is. It is not only a decent archer unit, but can hold the main battle line for a period. It should be a least 600 gold.

Takabara fought behind a shield wall in a long, extended battleline. In this regards I doubt loose spacing or forming a square would be part of their training. The addition of those special abilities also makes it too good for the price. Perhaps remove both and keep the price at 600?

The art/graphics show the Takabara as wearing mail. This does not match the armour statistic, which gives them a low value. Since only the front rank of Takabara were armoured, give them a base value of 10?

The statistics of the Takabara shield (25 for defence, 10 for armor) is different from the shields used for Eastern Spearmen (10 for defence, 35 for armor), even though both would have used the same type. With the reduction of base armour to 10, the armour would be 45, but this would be balanced out by the reduction of melee defense to 45.

Finally, Parthian Greek Hoplites would not have used square, but would have trained for a phalanx only given their purpose.