• West Ham

3 4.92%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 54 12345678910112651 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014/15 English Premier League

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Default 2014/15 English Premier League

OK, the World Cup is over and it is time for the main event, yes, the Premier League is back (soon).

I will sticky this later in the week. Make your predictions as to who will win, who will be relegated now or you can wait until closer to the kick off.

Not sure yet, but QPR and West Brom to go down to start with. Am I bold enough to predict Arsenal finally get the players in place...

Man City and Liverpool both to slip a little from last year, Utd to do better (not difficult prediction that one).
    Last edited by Ybbon; July 14, 2014 at 01:16 PM. Reason: update

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: 2014/15 English Premier League

Woop! Thanks Ybbon. Excited already; I guess the WC coupled with some of the signings going on will have that effect!

Extremely early and ill-informed predictions which I'll very like get lambasted for... (PS, I'm not an Arsenal fan!)

1) Arsenal
    2) Man City
    3) Man United
    4) Chelsea
    ----
    5) Liverpool
    6) Everton
    7) Tottenham
    ---
    10) Newcastle
    ---
    18) Aston Villa
    19) Sunderland
    20) West Brom

I think the relegation zone will be a proper dogfight though; tight from all the way up to 11th. Swansea, QPR, Burnley, Leicester could all drop.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

I approve of those predictions
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Liverpool will be back to challenging for Top 4. I don't think think we will be challenging for the title again with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea strengthening, no Suarez and with the extra games on the fixture list due to the Champions League. I'd be more then happy to be proven wrong though. If last season did anything, it gave the team a taste of what its like to be in a genuine title race, and that's got to be valuable experience for any player.

Saying that, absolutely cannot wait for the Champions League. Its been too long. It will be interesting to see how Rodgers handles it.

I'm not going to make any specific predictions as of yet.
    Last edited by Azog 150; July 15, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    Liverpool will be back to challenging for Top 4. I don't think think we will be challenging for the title again with Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea strengthening, no Suarez and with the extra games on the fixture list due to the Champions League. I'd be more then happy to be proven wrong though. If last season did anything, it gave the team a taste of what its like to be in a genuine title race, and that's got to be valuable experience for any player.

Saying that, absolutely cannot wait for the Champions League. Its been too long. It will be interesting to see how Rodgers handles it.

I'm not going to make any specific predictions as of yet.
    Are you happy with your transfers of Lallana, Lambert and Markovic for the price you payed?
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Woop! Thanks Ybbon. Excited already; I guess the WC coupled with some of the signings going on will have that effect!

Extremely early and ill-informed predictions which I'll very like get lambasted for... (PS, I'm not an Arsenal fan!)

1) Arsenal
    2) Man City
    3) Man United
    4) Chelsea
    ----
    5) Liverpool
    6) Everton
    7) Tottenham
    ---
    10) Newcastle
    ---
    18) Aston Villa
    19) Sunderland
    20) West Brom

I think the relegation zone will be a proper dogfight though; tight from all the way up to 11th. Swansea, QPR, Burnley, Leicester could all drop.
    And rightly so . Have you not seen Manchester United's current squad and the performances those players put in last year? They were absolutely shocking. They'll need a new CB, CM, back-up LB (assuming Evra leaves) and winger at least to challenge for the top 4. That'll cost them about £100mil (on top of what they've already spent) if they want to bring in top-end players, though the ridiculous wages those players will demand due to no CL should be somewhat balanced out by some of the dross they have being shown the door.

Likewise, why 5th for Liverpool? I can see us not challenging for the league if we don't bring in adequate replacements for Suarez, but we would probably have to have a collapse of monumental proportions to finish below Man U.

Quote Originally Posted by chilon View Post
    Are you happy with your transfers of Lallana, Lambert and Markovic for the price you payed?
    Pretty much. £19 mil for someone who made most people's team of the season and looks to be a good fit with Rodgers's play-style, £4 mil for a different option at CF and £20 mil for a very promising winger is not that extravagant in today's market.

Were you happy with the performances put in by Mesut Ozil in the big games last season? And do you think he justified the £42 mil you spent on him?
    Last edited by GoTW Kubee; July 17, 2014 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTW Kubee View Post
    And rightly so . Have you not seen Manchester United's current squad and the performances those players put in last year? They were absolutely shocking. They'll need a new CB, CM, back-up LB (assuming Evra leaves) and winger at least to challenge for the top 4. That'll cost them about £100mil (on top of what they've already spent) if they want to bring in top-end players, though the ridiculous wages those players will demand due to no CL should be somewhat balanced out by some of the dross they have being shown the door.

Likewise, why 5th for Liverpool? I can see us not challenging for the league if we don't bring in adequate replacements for Suarez, but we would probably have to have a collapse of monumental proportions to finish below Man U.
    Unless we see some major signings I like Pool > Utd for 4th.

Even considering his resume, i think Van Gaal is a bit overrated because of one move against Costa Rica (he got out managed by Sabella) and United is kind of a shambles at the moment. Herrera and Shaw don't cover the major weaknesses and its not looking like many top players want to go there now. Rooney is a sacred cow that as long as he gets an auto slot in the starting XI, Utd will be weaker because of it.Utd ruined Kagawa's career and Mata is looking wasted as well. Considering RvP is Van Gaal's boy its pretty much going to be whether Van Gaal can jettison Rooney or placate him in a lesser role. If Rooney is playing as No.10 utd will not be 4th next year.
    Last edited by chilon; July 17, 2014 at 05:39 AM.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Were you happy with the performances put in by Mesut Ozil in the big games last season?
    I am not happy with the performances of a single one of our players in big games last season so to highlight Ozil would be unfair (as some media like to do).

And do you think he justified the £42 mil you spent on him?
    Absolutely. His close ball control and final 3rd passing is second to none. He didn't quite fit the squad last year but it looks like with Sanchez Wenger is ready to reformat the team to make the most of Ozil's skill set.

If Ozil plays with Cazorla on the left, Wilshere on the right and Giroud up front, his skills are not going to get maximized.

Bringing in Sanchez I think will make a huge difference.

Unless we see some major signings I like Pool > Utd for 4th.

Even considering his resume, i think Van Gaal is a bit overrated because of one move against Costa Rica (he got out managed by Sabella) and United is kind of a shambles at the moment. Herrera and Shaw don't cover the major weaknesses and its not looking like many top players want to go there now. Rooney is a sacred cow that as long as he gets an auto slot in the starting XI, Utd will be weaker because of it.Utd ruined Kagawa's career and Mata is looking wasted as well. Considering RvP is Van Gaal's boy its pretty much going to be whether Van Gaal can jettison Rooney or placate him in a lesser role. If Rooney is playing as No.10 utd will not be 4th next year.
    Yeah, people harping on about how well LvG did at the WC seem to forget that the Neth's played some dire stuff in their 3 knockout games and that penalty shootouts don't exist in the League. He can't be much worse than Davey Moyes though!

I have no doubt Chelsea will win BPL this year. We already have the best defence in league with amazing midfiled and now we even boosted attack. GG guys, this is our year.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post
    I have no doubt Chelsea will win BPL this year. We already have the best defence in league with amazing midfiled and now we even boosted attack. GG guys, this is our year.
    So are you 100% convinced that the addition of Costa and Fabregas will mean you avoid a repeat of some of those shocking performances put in consistently against the smaller teams last season? Because I'm not.

Mary The Quene's Avatar Praeses

For some reason i think Costa is going to be a Torres II story, idk why However Fabregas is surely going to bring something extra to the team. If Chelsea only kept KDB and gave him some extra matches to play then i think he woulda had become another star at Chelsea. Courtois is also a very good addition ofcourse, in several years he will be better than neuer i think.

Arsenal wil end somewhere in the top three i think, Sanchez is very good deal and if Ozil performs good then they can do much.
    Last edited by Mary The Quene; July 17, 2014 at 02:54 PM.
    Veritas Temporis Filia

So are you 100% convinced that the addition of Costa and Fabregas will mean you avoid a repeat of some of those shocking performances put in consistently against the smaller teams last season? Because I'm not.
    Not just them, it's Mourinho second's year (second time) and he knows exactly what to expect from every player. Top class attacker is bought ,Torres and Etto are remained. Midfield is strong as ever if not stronger with exceptional Hazard and Schurrle how shined on WC, Brazilian trio apart from Ramires wasn't so shiny second half of season but I'm sure they will work hard to earn place in starting 11. Salah adaptation period is over and I also expect him to give top games. Lampard and Luiz left but Matic and most likely Azpi will be new DM backbone of team with possible rotation with Ramires. Defense is where the most changes happened. Felipe Luis will play left back 99% and being on his natural position I think he is capable of replacing outstanding Ashley Cole. Cahill and JT will stay paired on CB with new blood Zouma, and RB Ivanovic and Azpi if needed. And GK Cech , Shwarzer and most likely Courtois! Plenty of world class quality players on every position and roster big enough for all Mourinho strategies.
    All in all a hell of team furied for not winning titles last year ,going berserk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post
    For some reason i think Costa is going to be a Torres II story, idk why However Fabregas is surely going to bring something extra to the team. If Chelsea only kept KDB and gave him some extra matches to play then i think he woulda had become another star at Chelsea. Courtois is also a very good addition ofcourse, in several years he will be better than neuer i think.

Arsenal wil end somewhere in the top three i think, Sanchez is very good deal and if Ozil performs good then they can do much.
    He preformed very well at WC, if he played like that in Chelsea I'm sure JM wouldn't have sold him. He played maybe 6,7 games and haven't shown anything in them and with guys mentioned above JM couldn't afford it. Lukaku might return as well , almost a year has passed since he missed penalty and he advanced even more, although I'm not sure how would he like to play as 3rd attacker. Courtois is already the best GK in the World.
    Y Le Arse strengthen their midfield and attack but defense is still not top level.

You guys think liverpool has got any chance to do something good in the champions league? As in, get to the semi-final at least.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Liverpool 5th yeah but those places are very arbitrary in my predictions. I can't see Liverpool winning the league without strengthening their defense though, sorry, and that likewise effects their chances of top 4. You can of course say the same for ManU.

I enjoy watching LFC play though so I'd prefer them up there than virtually everyone bar Arsenal.

I disagree, Mourinho's tactics are too benal. You have amazing players but it just doesn't seem to come together for me. Personal opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspasia View Post

Agree, don't think Costa will do well here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    You guys think liverpool has got any chance to do something good in the champions league? As in, get to the semi-final at least.
    Actually yes, think their style will suit the European game! Not get to the semis though, bit optimistic that!

Can we have some more league predictions from people? Always enjoy them. Anyone who has the Toon higher than 10th will be in line for rep and possibly a wee cake.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Liverpool; Micky Mousers (Scousers)).. Could be a tough year, lots of comparisons with the Spuds last season but I think Rogers is a better manager than AVB/Sherwood. Still can't ignore losing a goal machin like Suarez. Rogers is doing well in raising the quality of the team but still no big star.

Current rumour; Bony (Swansea)

In
    Rickie Lambert (Southampton) Undisclosed
    Adam Lallana (Southampton) Undisclosed
    Emre Can (Bayer Leverkusen) Undisclosed
    Lazar Markovic (Benfica) Undisclosed

Out
    Suarez (Barcalona)
    Luis Alberto (Malaga) Loan
    Michael Ngoo Released
    Stephen Sama Released

Manchester City; Citeh - Still no big signings from Citeh. The early exit from Europe probably helped a lot with the PL campaign. Brilliant at times but poor in a few games. With Toure seeming to want more money (he's on £240.000pw) or a move away expect Citeh to make a couple of moves for players yet.

Current rumour; Ross Barkley (Everton).

In
    Bacary Sagna (Arsenal) Free
    Fernando (Porto) Undisclosed
    Willy Caballero (Malaga) Undisclosed

Out
    Costel Pantilimon (Sunderland) Free
    Gareth Barry Released
    Joleon Lescott (West Brom) Free
    Alex Nimely Released
    Marcos Lopes (Lille) Loan
    Gareth Barry (Everton) Free

Man Utd; Yahnited. Not since Abraham's ten trials has a manager (LVG) had such a testing time ahead. Expect some massive deals to be struck by LVG as he tries to get a squad with zero confidence to challenge for the title. The lack of CL should help but I still can't see them being a force.

Current rumour; Mats Hummels.

In
    Ander Herrera (Athletic Bilbao) Undisclosed
    Luke Shaw (Southampton) Undisclosed

Out
    Federico Macheda (Cardiff City) Free
    Jack Barmby (Leicester City) Free
    Rio Ferdinand Released
    Ryan Giggs Released
    Nemanja Vidic (Inter Milan) Free
    Alexander Buttner (Dynamo Moscow) Undisclosed

Chelsea; Chelski/Chavski - Last season I thought they had the strongest squad and were the team most likely to run away with the title. Selling Mata was a huge mistake imo and probably what cost them the PL. Weird now for Maureen to go out and buy Fabregas who is very similar (though just edges it) to Mata. Still the strongest squad.

Current rumour; Khedira

In
    Cesc Fabregas (Barcelona) Undisclosed
    Mario Pasalic (Hajduk Split) Undisclosed
    Diego Costa (Atletico Madrid) Undisclosed

Out
    Tomas Kalas (Cologne) Loan
    Ashley Cole (Roma) Free
    Samuel Eto'o Released
    Henrique Hilario Released
    Sam Hutchinson Released
    Frank Lampard Released

Arsenal; Le Arse - Sanchez is a massive buy and one that has Gonners drooling in an anticipation. Going forward we'll be a threat but it's the defence that needs reinforcements. Big loses last term against Citeh/Mousers/Chavs hurt us in the title chase as did injuries to Wally and Rambo at key points. But we got lucky with Kos and the BFG staying fit and can't rely on that happening again. A DM/CB (if TV5 goes) must be priorities. As is a new GK, currently Chesny is the only senior GK on the books.

Current rumour; Schneiderlin/Ospina

In
    Alexis Sanchez (Barcelona) Undisclosed
    Mathieu Debuchy (Newcastle United) Undisclosed

Out
    Lukasz Fabianski (Swansea City) Free
    Bacary Sagna (Manchester City) Free
    Chuks Aneke (Zuite Waregem) Free
    Nicklas Bendtner Released
    Chu Young Park Released

Tottenham; Spuds - :

Title; To tough to call not least because there could still be big signings coming in to all the contenders.. But I'm going for Le Arse if we get a decent DM,.

Going down; Three from - QPR/Burnley/Palace/WBA
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; July 18, 2014 at 06:21 AM.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Its hard to say. Bearing in mind we have £70+ from Suarez, and bearing in mind the ever increasing costs of transfers, I would say yes I am happy. Not that I have really seen Markovic play, and it is clear that Lallana has only gone for as much as he has because he is English (although he is definitely a great addition). Rickie Lambert I am happy with no question. £4 million, born and bred Scouser and boyhood red. I can't imagine he will play too much and he is obviously old, but that right there is already the makings of a Kop hero.

Fact is though, if we want to compete we still need a top quality striker and some serious bolstering of our defence (and I think that is not just a transfer issue, but a coaching one as well it would seem).
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Not just them, it's Mourinho second's year (second time) and he knows exactly what to expect from every player. Top class attacker is bought ,Torres and Etto are remained. Midfield is strong as ever if not stronger with exceptional Hazard and Schurrle how shined on WC, Brazilian trio apart from Ramires wasn't so shiny second half of season but I'm sure they will work hard to earn place in starting 11. Salah adaptation period is over and I also expect him to give top games. Lampard and Luiz left but Matic and most likely Azpi will be new DM backbone of team with possible rotation with Ramires. Defense is where the most changes happened. Felipe Luis will play left back 99% and being on his natural position I think he is capable of replacing outstanding Ashley Cole. Cahill and JT will stay paired on CB with new blood Zouma, and RB Ivanovic and Azpi if needed. And GK Cech , Shwarzer and most likely Courtois! Plenty of world class quality players on every position and roster big enough for all Mourinho strategies.
    All in all a hell of team furied for not winning titles last year ,going berserk.
    It'll be interesting to see how Chelsea do next year. I'll admit you have a good squad but unfortunately that same squad bar a few changes consistently struggled to break down smaller teams like Sunderland, Villa and Norwich, which was what cost you the title in the end. I think Mourinho will need to rethink some of his strategies because you created very few opportunities against some of the weaker teams. Maybe that will mean setting up the team to play less defensively, but it remains to see how well your players adapt to that. Tbh the only certainty is that Mourinho will be under massive pressure to win something this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    We'll probably get to the CL final against Barca and then lose to a 120th minute penalty from a Suarez dive. It just has to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Murfmurf View Post
    Liverpool 5th yeah but those places are very arbitrary in my predictions. I can't see Liverpool winning the league without strengthening their defense though, sorry, and that likewise effects their chances of top 4. You can of course say the same for ManU.
    Oh, I can understand why one would hesitate to predict us winning the league. I'm just curious as to why any non-United fan would think that they would finish 2 places above us.

My prediction then:

1) LIVERPOOL
    2) CHELSEA
    3) MAN CITY
    4) ARSENAL
    5) MAN UNTD
    6) EVERTON
    7) SPURS
    8) SOUTHAMPTON
    9) NEWCASTLE
    10) WEST HAM
    11) VILLA
    12) STOKE
    13) SWANSEA
    14) PALACE
    15) HULL
    16) SUNDERLAND
    17) LEICESTER
    18) WEST BROM
    19) BURNLEY
    20) 'ARRY REDKNAPP'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY MK. 2

It'll be interesting to see how Chelsea do next year. I'll admit you have a good squad but unfortunately that same squad bar a few changes consistently struggled to break down smaller teams like Sunderland, Villa and Norwich, which was what cost you the title in the end. I think Mourinho will need to rethink some of his strategies because you created very few opportunities against some of the weaker teams. Maybe that will mean setting up the team to play less defensively, but it remains to see how well your players adapt to that. Tbh the only certainty is that Mourinho will be under massive pressure to win something this time around.

We'll probably get to the CL final against Barca and then lose to a 120th minute penalty from a Suarez dive. It just has to happen.

Oh, I can understand why one would hesitate to predict us winning the league. I'm just curious as to why any non-United fan would think that they would finish 2 places above us.

My prediction then:

1) LIVERPOOL
    2) CHELSEA
    3) MAN CITY
    4) ARSENAL
    5) MAN UNTD
    6) EVERTON
    7) SPURS
    8) SOUTHAMPTON
    9) NEWCASTLE
    10) WEST HAM
    11) VILLA
    12) STOKE
    13) SWANSEA
    14) PALACE
    15) HULL
    16) SUNDERLAND
    17) LEICESTER
    18) WEST BROM
    19) BURNLEY
    20) 'ARRY REDKNAPP'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY MK. 2
    9th! Huzzah, rep for you sir.

Surprised you got Villa so high. Poor squad, Vlaar probably to leave, Benteke still injured, and no investment as the owner wants to sell. Plus Roy Keane, which speaks for itself. Methinks they're a cert.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    ..... Bearing in mind we have £70+ from Suarez, a
    Well Barca got a bargain if that was all they paid

The problem is always that when a team gets a large amount for a transfer there is an expectation to spend it all at once whereas the better policy would be to spend some but then see how those players settle in and wait for the next transfer window and get players who then complement what you have. Fans and boards would never countenance that however, also as Citeh and Chelski have discovered over the years, that when clubs know you have money to spend, the fees go up for players who probably aren't worth it.

I think Liverpool's problem will be how many games Gerrard plays and coping with CL as well as the league, what they really need is an early exit from Carling and FA cups when they come around.

Page 1 of 54 12345678910112651 ... LastLast